High on the Mountain Top

Default Brent Young Memorial Plaque

Brent Young Plaque.

Appropriate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'd prefer to not see any cemented memorials. That's a simple black and white policy that doesn't lead to people making subjective judgements on the merit or value of one deceased person over the other. That said, it sounds like Brent made a positive impact in the mountains and the world in general and I understand how some would want to place a memorial for him. Condolences to his family and friends.

My two cents: Pick your battles. If you don't like the thought of a small memorial in the mountains then the Glacier Discovery Walk will probably make your blood boil. Turn your attention that way before judging the family and friends of a man who died too young.

http://nordeggcommunity.blogspot.com...ent-young.html
"It is with a heavy heart and deep sadness that I write this to you today. Brent Young, has passed away after a skiing accident yesterday afternoon. For those of you who knew Brent, he lived his life, his way. As a volunteer for the Ambulance and Fire Department, Manager of the Hostel, the Big Horn Access Management committee, Brent with his kind and gentle nature, will leave a deep hole, one that shouldn't be there in this community. Famous for the Annual New Years Eve Fire works each year at the Hostel, Brent will be remembered by his equally famous words; which were his mantra every single day. "no worries", "no dramas", "chaka Kan brother", "peace", and "have a sunshiny day". This is how he lived his life."

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Or as it sounds like Brent would say: "no worries", "no dramas"

It sounds like the last thing this guy would want is people on the internet debating whether his memorial was appropriate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peter1955

Brent Young Plaque.

Appropriate?
If he is buried underneath sure...
That one stands out like a real estate sign. Could of been smaller and perhaps on top, not so obtrusive. But then again, who's to judge where these things go, or size preference? They shouldn't REALLY be there, so people should be carefull how they implement them.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

It sounds like the last thing this guy would want is people on the internet debating whether his memorial was appropriate!

How come the people who install these things never seem to ask themselves if the deceased person would have wanted that?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Quote:

How come the people who install these things never seem to ask themselves if the deceased person would have wanted that?
How true. I think any person who passed on would be happy if something positive and constructive was initiated in their memory. But you know what? Let's not not debate it. It's difficult enough losing someone. Even more difficult to have the peace of someone's passing stirred by unrest from those of us who are still living. Make sense maybe not?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgRant

Quote:

It is interesting. If they really stopped to think about it, I guess there are 3 possibilities. They...

1.are correct the dead person would have wanted this
2.are incorrect and the dead person would have objected
3.don't care what the dead person wanted, this memorial is for the living

When #1 is true, I always instinctively assume they weren't really true nature lovers. Of course opinion is undoubtedly divide. I know Aces and Pmichaels are saying they would want one of these placed for them, but I don't THINK most people on this forum would want one?

When #2 it true, it means these people didn't really understand and important aspect of their friend. (ASSUMING the outdoors and nature were that important to the dead person...that doesn't seem to always be the case. Some of the memorials appear to be to people who had little more than "they liked to ski" (the vast majority of people who like to ski are not real mountain/backcountry/hiking/climbing enthusiasts...just resort skiers. Those who aren't, usually do other things besides ski) or a vague "they loved the outdoors" (as opposed to those who hate it)

#3 is actually quite true, though I doubt most people who place these, think of them that way. They feel their grief entitles them to place the plaque.

In any case, we're going to see a LOT more of these...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Beer before hiking.

I heard the ones on the Chief were marked for removal this year.[)]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

A few observations. First, it looks like the photo was taken with a wide angle at ground level, so it makes the plaque appear to stand out more than it likely does. Secondly, it is a stones throw from a provincial highway where weekend warriors and road-side photographers routinely drive their trucks up to the lakeshore. Thirdly, the guy had quite a reputation in Nordegg. Fourth, that mountain used to be named after a local barmaid's boob. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

I want my burial plaque to be made out of a piece of untreated 2x6 and left 500 meters off any known trail on my favorite ridge. As for Brents plaque, nice . I guess we all have some idea that when we pass on someone will remember us but should that be on a plaque or in obvious things we have left behind?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

It would be nice if a plaque was put on a bump or subpeak or even a unnamed peak and then named it after the person that passed like they did with the war pilots around Chilliwack.
That is a better dedication to some one that really attributed to the outdoors or outdoors activities in a possitive way.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

I want my burial plaque to be made out of a piece of untreated 2x6 and left 500 meters off any known trail on my favorite ridge. As for Brents plaque, nice . I guess we all have some idea that when we pass on someone will remember us but should that be on a plaque or in obvious things we have left behind?
That certainly sounds much less gaudy....but...and this is a genuine inquiry, and not an attack, since you are somebody who admits to wanting a plaque, who is your plaque for? Friends? Strangers? What do you hope it evokes when they see it?

As your last line mentions, perhaps a plaque is not a very good way to have somebody remember you in a meaningful way!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Is eating sushi a hobby?

FWIW, I've got a will and in it, I've asked my executor to use my funds to purchase a memorial bench in Canmore in my name.

What better way to commemorate my life than to have a bench alongside the Bow River, minutes away from my present home? As a bonus, it'll be maintained by the city for it's entire lifespan.

The last thing I'd want is a plaque in my name slapped onto some rock.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

DCIPHER[/quote]

That certainly sounds much less gaudy....but...and this is a genuine inquiry, and not an attack, since you are somebody who admits to wanting a plaque, who is your plaque for? Friends? Strangers? What do you hope it evokes when they see it?

As your last line mentions, perhaps a plaque is not a very good way to have somebody remember you in a meaningful way!

[/quote]Well there are few people who hike on my favorite ridge and fewer still that hike without trails or landmarks to guide them on my favorite ridge. The plaque being biodegradeable will last a short time and become just another relic to make someone ask" who would throw what appears to be a piece of 2x6 this far off the trail?"
I am working on the legacy of my life just as we all are.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I can't tell the scale from this photo, nor have I an idea as to where it is placed.

I have no problem with something small in an unobtrusive location. I figure if you want to memorialize someone, leave something small and put it in a unique place (ie. not on a trail or summit). Make it something you can go to, but people are unlikely to just stumble upon. I only have an issue with something large and demanding.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page