any one for heli drop hiking at Skoki lodge??!! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....
Default any one for heli drop hiking at Skoki lodge??!!

If you have enough wealth, the rules do not apply. The royals were flown in to Skoki via helicopter which is totally not allowed in the national parks...well, unless you are them of course. Makes you wonder who's next.

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/place...al-skoki-lodge

Discuss....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

They stayed in the same cabin my wife and I stayed in for our honeymoon.
Mind you we skied in rather than hitched a ride in a helicopter. Getting there is more than half the fun. They missed out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Was just talking to an expatriate about it last night. She doesn't like them. I can't stand them, and find them reprehensible. Goes against everything I think a society should stand for: fairness, justice, baseline equality, meritocracy.

The fact that people would wish to worship, adore, and give their money to a bunch of people that lie, cheat, and appear to have various psychological disorders, based only on their birthright, is quite disheartening to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

There should not be special exceptions for titles. I could care less about titles but unfortunatley too many idiots out there bend over for it. It blows my mind when I see people balling in tears for seeing or being close to celebrity status people....full on morons.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

There should not be special exceptions for titles. I could care less about titles but unfortunatley too many idiots out there bend over for it. It blows my mind when I see people balling in tears for seeing or being close to celebrity status people....full on morons.
Small minded people.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Ok I have to say I would not think I could be easily turned into a groupie but it happened....Elizabeth Baird (cookbook author) came to JPL while I worked there and I lost it! couldn't breath, didn't want to look like an idiot but wanted so badly to ask her about a recipe that I loved; I managed to keep it together but I have to say it was hard. And then when the Dixie Chicks where there I didn't even recognise any of them! lol I guess its where your priorities are! and I happen to like the DXC's! lol
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

They couldn't have just gone to Assinniboine where it's legal and regular to heli?
I don't care for that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

I'm kinda amused by this story, where they even built a special Throne for them at Skoki Lodge.

Royalty, indeed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Summit Master

Location: Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!, .
Interest: Anything that can drag me to the mountains. Backpacking is #1, followed by climbing, dayhiking and camping with family.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by time2clmb

...It blows my mind when I see people balling in tears for seeing or being close to celebrity status people....full on morons.
Kate, and her sister Pippa make me think of balling...

(you meant bawling...)

Seriously, I don't get the heli ride, nor the need to fly in a special suite with a tub and toilet for them. They're both fit capable folks. If I were them, I'd have turned down all that shit, shouldered a pack and hiked in.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Whatevs, life's not fair. I'm glad they went and hope they had a good time. Gem of a story about the throne.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

@ mtnlioness, I had a photo job at the JPL a few years ago for the same event that you're talking about. I personally knew a few of the foodies that were giving presentations there and I was floored by the groupies that hung around. To me the "celebs" were people I worked with daily but to the attendees, OMFG! LOL

I agree with the OP. Same goes for the royals, what's the deal with bending the rules for some people and not others.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

While maybe it's not fair..I to would to chopper into a few lakes in the north boundary but.. look at the positive that alot of good may come out of this. the parks want more visitors ..they could use the visit up to Skoki in a P.R campaign which would be betetr and a lot more effective then promoting those proposed new activities !

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by McLeod99

While maybe it's not fair..I to would to chopper into a few lakes in the north boundary but.. look at the positive that alot of good may come out of this. the parks want more visitors ..they could use the visit up to Skoki in a P.R campaign which would be betetr and a lot more effective then promoting those proposed new activities !

Ummm Skoki lodge isn't exactly needing a PR boost for more visits as they are already solidly booked for this whole season.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I am not at all interested in royalty. We could keep the queen, or we could turf her. Makes no difference to me. (On the other hand, I have a definite opinion on the senate. Eliminate it!)

Having said that, I think many of you are unfairly blaming the royals for decisions made on their behalf.

The royals themselves aren't going to make specific decisions. They would agree to a general outline. Visit Alberta? Sure. Getaway in the Rockies? Sure. Stampede? Sure. Wear white cowboy hats? Ummm, well, uh, okay, I, uh, if I have to, I guess.

The people that made the decision on what lodge they would stay at, and how they would get there, are likely employed by the federal government. They, with approval from the PMO and elected officials, concocted the helicopter in the national park scheme.

And, they will do it again. When the Prime Minister visits a park. When a cabinet minister visits a park. When a high level mandarin visits a park. When a foreign dignitary of any kind visits a park.

The list is probably quite long.

If you are truly upset by the exceptions to the non-motorized rule, you should be making your opinions known to your local MP and the government.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to brett

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Black Adder

Ummm, well, uh, okay, I, uh, if I have to, I guess.
Did they go to Possum Lodge and visit Red Green?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page