David Thompson Bicentennial - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by calmcoldmorning

I assume this is the map you are talking about?

Yes, it is.http://www.arcturusconsulting.net/product_DTIA.htm is an interesting version of a modernized map. THey have several I'd like to have if I could figure out where I could keep them.

Quote:
quote:Ive got one of the 1500 that were hand copied scaled from the original in 1897. It was part of the first narrative by Alexander Henry (New Light on the Early History of the Greater Northwest: The Manuscript Journals of Alexander Henry, Fur Trader of the Northwest Company and of David Thompson, Official Geographer and Explorer of the Same Company, 1799-1814.

I digitized it, and tracked the N.Sask river and found the map river location to be within 5km of the N.sask river on google earth. (from BC/Alberta Border to Sask border. Pretty amazing considering most of the shots are done from a compass on a canoe with occasional precise locations by sextant.

I planned to turn the map into a coffee table top but kinda lost interest over the years.
Okay, I'm green with envy. Though I understand entirely about projects that one intends to do and then doesn't get to...

Quote:
quote:I feel that map is one of the greatest Canadian accomplishments, and a huge piece of Canadian history.
is this the narrative you are talking about:
http://link.library.utoronto.ca/champlain/item_record.cfm?Idno=9_96855<=eng&query=thompson%2 0AND%20david&searchtype=Author&startrow=1&Limit=Al l

I concur that the map is an astonishing accomplishment, and one all Canadians can be proud of. So many people talk about Lewis and Clark... what I've read of David Thompson outweighs the L&C expedition by quite a bit! And I say that as a citizen of the US! (Although had relations been otherwise between Britain and France, my husband might have been a Canadian, as he's Louisiana-born, and is a descendant of the Acadians.)

Yes, that's the narrative I was speaking of, although the one I saw was a single, downloadable PDF file.

Quote:
quote:I admit i'm a fan as well.
Likewise...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, backpacking, kayak, fishing, map making

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marilynx

I concur that the map is an astonishing accomplishment, and one all Canadians can be proud of. So many people talk about Lewis and Clark... what I've read of David Thompson outweighs the L&C expedition by quite a bit! And I say that as a citizen of the US! (Although had relations been otherwise between Britain and France, my husband might have been a Canadian, as he's Louisiana-born, and is a descendant of the Acadians.)
Samuel Hearne's journey is another great canadian adventure.

I am also interested in American history. I just finished reading about Custard and Battle at the Little Big Horn. Great stuff.
Planning at trip down to the Last Stand on the anniversary, I'm glad the wife is ok with that kind of "vacation".
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The Palliser expedition is another Canadian history tidbit with James Hector naming the Kicking Horse river after getting kicked by his horse and almost buried by his men before waking up while they were digging his grave (or so the story goes). Our history may be short but there are many stories worthy of more notoriety.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page