ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) Spectacular Brazeau Canyon & Cataract Pass

Thread: AB Nor = Alberta Rockies North (Jasper & Willmore) Spectacular Brazeau Canyon & Cataract Pass
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
dav1481
Off the Beaten Path

Default Spectacular Brazeau Canyon & Cataract Pass

It's not very often you can hike from Banff National Park to Jasper National Park to the White Goat Wilderness and back again in 7 hours, allowing plenty of time for lunch and monkeying with pictures.

I met Lobo at the trailhead at 6:45 and we were back at the vehicles by 1:45 which was great because, after all, he had to put in a 12 hour shift after hiking 26 km [B)]. And I had a 5 hour drive ahead of me.

If you've ever read Lobo's trip reports, let's just say we kept a swift pace . I didn't take many pictures on the way in because we were walking towards the sun. Most of the canyon shots are taken on the way out. On the way up the canyon, we kept to the rock, marveling at the different colours of debris left by a massive landslide long ago. On the return trip, we took a less conventional route. This included some unnecessary scrambling, wading through creeks, and exploring waterfalls . It was nice to run into George63 on the pass too.

There's not much to write about this trip that the pictures can't convey, other than to say it was punctuated by great company and spectacular views.

1. Morning light on the way to the trailhead
2. Nigel Pass to the right
3-4. Gaining Nigel Pass, looking back

1. 2.
3. 4.

5. Nigel Pass to the right
6. Rock debris from a landslide long ago
7. Cataract Pass, looking into the White Goat
8. On the White Goat side, looking back

5. 6.
7. 8.

9. Looking down Cataract Valley
10. Fascinating rock (to me, anyway)
11. Looking up
12. Someone went butt-sliding here, human or bear?

9. 10.
11. 12.

13-14. "Cataract Lake" from the Pass
15-16. Below the lake

13. 14.
15. 16.

17-23. are taken on the way out the canyon. If you look at any of these, please look at #18 . It captures the scene the best.

17. 18.
19. 20.
21. 22.

Let the work-week begin [B)]

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-23-2020 at 08:42 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome