User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeW
  • 3 Post By Candy Sack
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, trekking, just getting into mountaineering, canoeing...if its outdoors and fun...we\'re in!
Default Cape Scott

Hello Everyone!

I am planning a trip up to Cape Scott late summer of 2020. I was in there a good number of years ago and loved it! The only question I have is how crowded does it get there nowadays? When I was up there, there was hardly a sould around. Just wondering if the word is out and this beautiful place is now popular and crowded. Looking at late August or just after Labour Day weekend 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I did the NCT this year and started on the labour day long weekend and finished the following weekend and the parking lot was full with lots of people camping on the beaches. If the weather is good you will not have the place to yourself and might be hard pressed to find a place to camp that is away from anyone else. Nels bight was packed, Nissen bight had a bunch of people and San Jo bay was extremely busy. Guise bay and Experimental bight had only a few campers each though. When we camped at San Jo bay the night before we were picked up we had to find a spot on the further beach over the headland which was the much better site but still shared it with 7 other groups of campers.
alpalmer likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Agree with the above. The word is definitely out. Went to San Josef Bay and a bit beyond in summer of 2003 and barely anyone around. Did the full Cape Scott Trail in 2018 and yes, expect lots of people. That said, the beaches are generally pretty big and we never felt overly crowded. In fact, for two nights we had a secluded little nook all to ourselves. We never had to share fire pits or anything like that. Don't be a fool and camp below tide line, as we saw some people do.... They got wet in the middle of the night.

Mt. St. Patrick is a worthwhile side adventure. Unlikely you'll see many people up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	271676  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	922.6 KB
ID:	271678  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	271680  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1,022.4 KB
ID:	271682  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	271684  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	271686  

alpalmer, solo75 and Trail Talk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Summit Master

These are great shots; probably don't get many clear days like that up there
alpalmer likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, trekking, just getting into mountaineering, canoeing...if its outdoors and fun...we\'re in!

Wow!! I thought it may have gotten busier but I have to admit I'm amazed at how busy you're saying its gotten. Kind of sad in a way but also kind of to be expected. A place as beautiful as that would be hard to keep undiscovered forever. Thanks so much for your information!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Bass, bike, hike

Wow. Didn't know about Mount Patrick in the Days I went there.

First time was Easter 1970.

Went twice in 1975 and haven't been back since.

You think it was quiet in 2003?

nili illegitum carborundum

Last edited by Michel; 10-31-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm planning on doing some hiking here July 1-6, have an early AM flight to catch on 6th out of port hardy so probably 4 nights of camping. Planning on hiking in to Nissen bright (1 or 2 nights); then either guise bay or experiment bight then out back to parking lot. Should I expect the park to be busy enough to bring my own bear canister? (no lockers at experiment bight it seems). Is the hike from nissen bright to laura creek worthwhile to get a taste of north coast trail?

thx for the help
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 10:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

We did the whole North Coast Trail in 2018. We purposely started and ended mid-week to try to avoid crowds. I would suggest mid-week. There will definitely be people there but nothing like the weekends. I wouldn't go anywhere near there on a long weekend.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Be prepared for a gong show whether weekdays or weekend. The trail will be plenty muddy so bring extra shoes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page