what kind of sleeping bag to use on the WCT - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dru

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default what kind of sleeping bag to use on the WCT

i am planing on going on the WCT in late may... i could use my -12 down... or my 0 ray way quilt synthetic... im going to be using a tent....and just want to be happy for seven days in the possible pouring rain.. any suggestions? its not july... its late may....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

also considering if i should bite the bullet and buy a down quilt with pro down...like from enlighten... or a sawatch 15F
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

take synthetic. wet down is quite cold.
alpalmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Take your warmest and lightest option. Every ounce counts on this long trek. And you want to be comfortable to get a good night's sleep. It is cold at night by the ocean.

I used a down bag on the WCT. I just wrapped it in a garbage bag and it was protected in the rain. I even fell in a surge channel. A bit of water seeped in through the opening, but I was able to dry it by the fire. If i had only bothered to tie off the garbage bag, it would have kept the sleeping bag dry. And you just have to trust that you have a decent tent. If your tent leaks, you will be miserable either way.

There is always chance of rain in the rain forests of BC. Lots of hikers use down bags. You just have to take steps to keep it dry. The pay-off is a nice warm sleep

Last edited by funpig; 04-02-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

I took my North Face Cat's Meow on the North Coast Trail last year. It was the lightest synthetic bag I could find within the temperature range I was looking for. I also bought a water proof compression sack just to make sure it stayed dry. I always like to make sure I have a bag slightly warmer than I need... I'd rather be too warm than too cold. I can always unzip the bag if necessary.

Last edited by ChubbyTuna; 04-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Hittin' the Trails

When I did the WCT my tent flooded in Walbran Creek and my down sleeping bag was soaked through. That was a miserable night. Luckily I had sun the next day to dry it out and it was perfect, snug and warm inside a dry bag, for the rest of the journey despite sometimes-heavy rain and creeks.

Down is certainly doable, but having one sunny day can make all the difference if something does happen. So consult the weather and your risk tolerance.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post

the often quoted "wet down" has gone the way of the dodo bird. I've had a "treated down" bag for many yrs now. aka "pertex".
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I've spend years camping on the west coast with down now. Summer trips I'm generally fine with a 0* down bag, shoulder seasons I'd take my -7* bag. I've been in the mist zone (no rain forecast, but it misted from 3am to 11am soaking everything) using a tarp/bugnet combo instead of a tent, and I was fine. I've had my open pack fall into a swollen river. My sleeping bag was in its own dry bag and survived. I don't even worry about my bag being down, with proper precautions and care I can keep it dry, and I'm all the more comfortable for it. I also just got a down quilt from Little Shop of Hammocks (here in Canada). Haven't had a trip to take it on yet but so far very happy with it, light and decently made. I rarely zip up my bags as it is.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

down quilts are the bees knees, I want one.

I used 5C down bag on the WCT, but that was early Sept. I was WARM, and didnt use my long underwear. but when I did the JDF in July it was cold and very windy some rain and I was cold - did not pack the underwear, doh. In May there is much more risk of rain and mud, just saying - I would not do these coastal trails in May unless it was a last minute weather window.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Depending on logistics, why not bring both bags and make a day of decision? Weather on the WCT can be highly variable. We lucked out the week we went with a great forecast so I left much of my heavy rain gear in the car (12 seconds of rain the whole trip). Two weeks later it was torrential downpours, creeks were in flood, hikers were stranded and they were holding people at all three trailheads.

Modern treated down does alleviate many of the drawbacks it once had
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Treated down sounds fine but if it undergoes full immersion, for instance, it still gets wet. Doesn't like mud either.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post

Wet anything is cold, however the theory about going with synthetic as it's better in the moisture is no longer valid. This assumes of course you choose the right treated down. I have done just that; by buying a Rab down bag with Nikwax Hydrophobic Down. Watch the video...........and become a believer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page