West Coast Trail Reservations? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default West Coast Trail Reservations?

Hey guys. I’m just wondering how quickly the reservations book up for prime times such as August? Is it like trying to book a concert where everything good books up in the first few minutes? Is it all done over the phone or can I do it online? Also wondering about how crowded the camp sites get during prime time? I did the North Coast Trail last year and there was no need to scramble to book a good time slot. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When I registered for WCT last year it opened at 8am and it took me until almost 9 to actually have the page load with my selected dates. Each time I would select a date by the time it advanced to the next page that date was already gone. I would plan to be at a computer and have several back up dates ready, it was a little intense.

Good luck!

The best signature ever
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

In 2015 when we booked, our initial date was gone in less than 30 seconds. Make sure you have your account set up and familiarize yourself with the site and how to book. It will be a race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Summit Master

This is not really helping, but reading this I wonder: Why bother? (Same for O'Hara, Berg Lake,....)

There are other spectacular coast hikes that need no reservation hassle and are not human zoo either. Say Nootka or even Juan de Fuca. Just like Rockies where nobody that values their sanity hikes Lake Louise in summer.
alpalmer likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Softball, Poker

Did you all get what you were looking for?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

My buddy booked it because I was stuck in a meeting the morning of reservations. He booked for June 26 but we are going to try to change to sometime in August instead if possible. Better chances of good weather then.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Softball, Poker

You could try mid-point entry exiting south, but hike north first, then turn around and exit south.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

@zeljkok - can you point us to any lists of hikes like that - especially for the Rockies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
This is not really helping, but reading this I wonder: Why bother? (Same for O'Hara, Berg Lake,....)

There are other spectacular coast hikes that need no reservation hassle and are not human zoo either. Say Nootka or even Juan de Fuca. Just like Rockies where nobody that values their sanity hikes Lake Louise in summer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Summit Master

There are many. Just lookup my TRs in Rockies Forum
alpalmer likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default WCT Water Taxi?

Hey guys. We will be hiking the WCT from south to north. I'm wondering if there is a water taxi that will go from the north back down to the south when we are finished instead of taking the bus? If so, do you know if the rates change based on the number of people on the boat? When we did the North Coast Trail, the rates went down if there were more people on board.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

I think they have all shut down over the past few years. I did a quick internet search and did not find any possibles. Some people have hired seaplanes . Check into a Victoria to Bamfield water run, that might be more likely.

The bus really isn't that bad.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks, I haven’t bedn able to find anything online either. I’ve tried calling the WCT office numerous times and no one ever answers.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpalmer View Post
I think they have all shut down over the past few years. I did a quick internet search and did not find any possibles. Some people have hired seaplanes . Check into a Victoria to Bamfield water run, that might be more likely.

The bus really isn't that bad.
Think of it as 3 hours in a paint mixer that lulls you to sleep after 6-7 long days on the trail
alpalmer likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

Nootka is a hassle to get to, Juan de Fuca is not as nice, and the nice thing about all this reservation crap is that the WCT, while far from quiet, is hardly a "human zoo."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyTuna View Post
Hey guys. We will be hiking the WCT from south to north. I'm wondering if there is a water taxi that will go from the north back down to the south when we are finished instead of taking the bus? If so, do you know if the rates change based on the number of people on the boat? When we did the North Coast Trail, the rates went down if there were more people on board.
In principle you could take the West Coast Trail shuttle to Port Renfrew to start your hike, hike, take the M/V Frances Barkley from Bamfield to Port Alberni, then the Tofino Bus from Port Alberni to Victoria to meet your car. But oh my God what a pain just endure the logging roads.
alpalmer likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Bus is OK, but easier to take two cars and drive up to leave one in Bamfield and leave the other at Renfrew, or vice versa. If solo then the bus is it. I doubt the rental car companies would allow their cars up that road though! A friend of mine drives the bus, has great stories.

I agree Juan de Fuca is not as nice as the WCT. But it is cheap and easy to access, ten bucks a night pp. Can be done in 2-4 days. hey trailhead is 1 hour drive from my home. perfect training/shakedown trail prepping for WCT. I do not understand why folks struggle with car camping nonsense when they can just march down the JDF a couple miles and camp beachfront for ten bucks, no reservation, no crowds.

the crowds on the WCT found at Walbran and Tsusiat as they are the natural tourist draws/choke points. We were mostly alone on the trail, and the campsites were not too busy other than those two and we camped a few miles away from Tsusiat, alone. I felt Carmanah was the nicest, with pretty massive long beach, and I think only 4 others camped there that night - we spent half a day lying on the beach in the sun and wandering down to Moniques for bottles of wine and a couple meals.

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 01-31-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page