Walbran Trail past Botley Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Walbran Trail past Botley Lake

Has anyone hiked the trail past Botley and Auger Lakes down to the West Walbran Valley Trail lately? I was planning on trying to find it this weekend. (July 20) Any updated information would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

i think the west walbran trail is actually easier to find than the botley trail

i hope to be in there first weekend of august...will let you know
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the reply. I've hiked the West Walbran trail 3 or 4 times and the last time was 2 years ago and although pretty bushy in places was relatively easy to follow. I was hoping to try a new trail for a change. Will report what I find out on Sunday and would appreciate anything you find out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

we're actually planning a bushwhack from carmanah valley over the ridge to walbran valley

i've read botley lake trail was quite bushy and overgrown
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Found the Botley Lake Trail today. From Walbran Jct go 3 km and turn left on Wal 300 for 1.8 km. Just over a bridge the old spur road on the left leading to the trail is almost hidden with alders but we put up a couple of flags. 10 mins down this bushy old road you enter the park and are in the old growth forest. Followed the trail down as far as the 2nd lake which I think is Auger Lake but it was slow slogging as not much trail mntce in 20 years so trail is blocked with many blowdowns. There have been some recent flagging and we added some more. It took us 2 hours to get to Auger Lake so it was time for lunch and return. Would like to return some day and go further.
A shame this trail is little used and in such disrepair as its a great area to hike with many large cedar and spruce trees. Is anyone else interested in making the Walban trails usable again?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Anything outdoors that I can afford the money and time.

I'm interested in that. I love that place. I've tracked the old trail down to Andserson Lake twice now and was going to bring flagging tape next time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

i would be interested in that...let's get the work parties started? (unofficially, of course)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Good to hear some others are interested in trying to open up some of the old trails. It's defintely unofficial of course as Parks have no interest (or budget) to develop anything in the Walbran side of the Park. I'm going out there tomorrow (July 30) to explore the upper area and try and find the trail past Hadikin Lake. Will be leaving Duncan at 08:30 and will report what I find.
Maybe later in August any interested parties could meet and travel out there and clear and or reflag some sections of trails? Love to hear from others about this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

West Walbran Trail Access Report:
Explored the access to West Walbran Trail yesterday (July 30) instead of the Hadikin Lake end.
Roads leading out to West Walbran are all clear and open although a little bushy going down the hill to the Walbran R bridge. Trail access sign just past the bridge leads past old camp and only problem is deteriorating boardwalk sections. West Walbran low enough to step stone across. Hiked out to the big cedar I think they call the Castle Giant and back. Some new flagging on trail and the usual stuff to get over and under but a pleasant hike in old growth forest.
Exited the trail via the old trail from the end of the road and although very bushy in slash area trail is easy to follow. Walked back to vehicle on the old road which is being slowly taken over by alder and hemlock trees.
Amazing that the trails put in by volunteers years ago are still usable today. My hats off to those who did all that work!

I brought back a blue undershirt found on the Castle Giant trail. Anyone can claim ownership and I will return it clean and folded. Any queries please email me at ve7drj@telus.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the updates. I'd help if I lived in the area...
Any pics from the area perhaps? Cheers.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

i'm heading out there monday-wednesday

i could find some maintenance time in 24-27 august windows, and again between 3-7 september...just don't tell my wife (yet)
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

WildernessMan
I do have a few pics but don't know how to post them on this site. Do you know how?

knip
Those dates might work. I'm planning on organizing a hike out there with my hiking club some time later in August and could combine a little trail cleanup along the way. Any major trail work however should be strictly a work day. Lets keep in touch.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

yup..depending on date i could have others

i've never done this before, so i hope you know what you're doing
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I know where 2 of the trail heads are and I know how to snip and clip. Much trail work beyond that (like boardwalk repair) would require much more time than I have to devote out there. Like I said if anyone is serious about doing something out there you can email me at ve7drj@telus.net

Thanks
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi everybody,
you are entering my territory now. August 24 - 27 sounds right to me . Where shall we meet?
Lets cut that trail open! I had a hard time there 2 years ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page