WCT trip schedule advice - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lythe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating
Default WCT trip schedule advice

I am hoping to get a little input on an upcoming WCT trip. I am a well seasoned hiker and backpacker of more than a couple decades, hard work and long days on the trail are not a problem.

This trip is planned for mid May, for 5 or 6 nights, I will be hiking solo and I suspect that it will be pretty wet. Due to flight and vehicle logistics and weeks of reading people's thoughts and trip reports I have chosen to travel south to north, taking the WCT bus from Pachena Bay trail head back to Gordon River trail head. The trip plan i have come up with is as follows, any feedback would be appreciated. As I mostly backpack in the interior I want to maximize the beach time and lessen the forest time, I do know how to work with tide tables as I have spent much time on the island.

Day 1 2pm orientation (at Gordon) and catch next ferry across (3:30) and hit the trail (est 1k/hr travel speed) Camp at Thrasher (5k)
Day 2 Thrasher to Cullilte (12k)
Day 3 Cullite to Carmanah (11k)
Day 4 Carmanah to Tsusiat Falls (21k)
Day 5 Tsusiat Falls to Darling (11k)
Day 6 Darling to Pachena Trailhead (12k)

Alternatively if I added a day, i would take two easy days in the middle
Day 1 2pm orientation (at Gordon) and catch next ferry across (3:30) and hit the trail (est 1k/hr travel speed) Camp at Thrasher (5k)
Day 2 Thrasher to Cullilte (12k)
Day 3 Cullite to Walbran (4k)
Day 4 Walbran to Carmanah (7k)
Day 5 Carmanah to Tsusiat (21k)
Day 6 Tsusiat to Darling (11k)
Day 7 Darling to Pachena Trailhead (12k)

Questions;
I have heard that Thrasher to Camper via Owen Point can be a tough and slow trek with the boulders etc but very worthwhile, i plan on taking this route with a very early start. Is it relatively doable to get from Thrasher to Cullite without killing ones self? What would be a rough time to get from Thrasher and around the point?

I hear there is a safe place to overnight at Owen Point that is not on any of the maps, does anyone know for sure (that are willing to say :-) ?)

I've heard Cribs is not a nice camp over all so I have chosen to stay at Carmanah instead and add an extra 4k to the long slog to the falls the next day. Knowing everyone has their own opinion is it worth saving the 4 k and staying at Cribs?

12k out on the last day with an early start would normally give me more than enough time to get the bus at 1:30 are there generally any issues to be aware of that could really slow someone down (ther than the rain and mud?)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just south of Owen Point is a beach that had a sign calling it "mouse trap". I'm guessing because if you miss the tide, you are trapped there. As long as you make Owen Point, Thrasher to Owen isn't bad even on a moderate tide. I am a fairly nimble hiker though, others I was with didn't have as easy a time and had to wait for the tide to get lower for more scrambling options over the big boulders. I came North to South and just beat the tide at Owen. Going North once you get around the point, you have a bit of time to get off the shelves, just don't dally. Owen Point is worth it.

I didn't camp at Cribs but it looked pretty nice going through. My partner was sad we didn't end up staying there.

The last day is a walk in the park, it is the easiest part of the trail. The first 5K to Thrasher are harder and will likely take longer, especially in the wet.
Hiker_Rob likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

Great, thanks for the reply!

I've booked it south to north and plan on;
Day 1 Travel day and orientation at 2pm, overnighting at the local campground
Day 2 Gordon River to Thrasher (5k)
Day 3 Thrasher to Cullite (11k)
Day 4 Cullite to Carmanah (12k)
Day 5 Carmanah to Tsusiat Falls (21k)
Day 6 Tsusiat Falls to Darling (11k)
Day 7 Darling to Pachena Trailhead (12k) then the trail bus back @1:45 to Gordon

Seems fairly doable and will allow some good sightseeing time.

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page