WCT route and parking advice required - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default WCT route and parking advice required

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of planning my first WCT hike and I wanted to get some feedback from experienced WCT hikers.

My rough plan: June 2nd: Drive from Nanaimo to Pachena Bay and park car here. Take the 1.15 pm West Coast Trail bus to Nitinaht village. Do the 3.30 pm orientation in Nitinaht village. Take water taxi from Nitinaht village to Tsuquanah PT and comfort camp there that night. June 3rd: Enter WCT and hike north to Pachena Bay.

I am particularly interested in hearing about people's experience with this route and parking at Pachena bay. I read some old threads from 2012 and parking seemed to be a problem at Bambfield/Pachena Bay as it was unsecured. Has this changed or is it still problematic?

Any advice welcomed :-)

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Hittin' the Trails

We had no problems parking our brand new truck at pachenna bay for 7 days. I was also worried and called the office to check. We did the hike in 2016.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, biking, backpacking, reading, soaking up the sun, card games, good friends

Hi Paul, we are first timers to the WCT too this year. My son and I are doing it mid July going south to north.

I will be following here to see what the more experienced people have to say about your suggested plan.

We are super excited yet scared out of our minds and stressed crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

When I looked into it last year, the water taxi from Nitinaht to the trail leaves in the morning (and doubles as the ferry across the narrows), then goes back to the village at the end of the day. From the sound of your plans, you may wish to inquire into the water taxi schedule to see if they have a second boat for trips at other times.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

I can't speak for the parking as I was parked at Gordon River this past week (did full trail south to north with the trail bus return to Gordon) but the route should work fine, looks like there is lots of time to make the orientation even if the bus is running a bit late. The trail from the narrows to Pachena Bay is easygoing, I had great weather so I managed a fairly good pace through much of it. The Falls was quite busy as there are lots of school groups going through right now. The trail was quite dry (few water fill up spots) from Michigan through to the trail head so fill up the bottles when you can. Let me know if you have any questions about the route I'd be happy to answer them.

Have a great trip!

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorepa View Post
Hi Paul, we are first timers to the WCT too this year. My son and I are doing it mid July going south to north.

I will be following here to see what the more experienced people have to say about your suggested plan.

We are super excited yet scared out of our minds and stressed crazy!
Hey, I hope you have a great trip. I just posted a trip report from my solo trip there last week, if you are doing the whole trail you may (or may not) find it helpful
https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...uth-north.html

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

The north parking lot is a little bit more remote so there is a potential greater risk. When we did the trail in 2015 we saw a poor car that looked like it had been hit (minor fender bender by the looks of it), the alarm was going and you could tell that it had been going for some time as the battery was almost dead (all you could hear was relays clicking, a barely visible glow on the lights, an a sad quiet "meep" from the horn).

Based on previous folks experience, we ended parking at the South end in Evan's paid lot and hiking North (taking the trail bus back). I think however they've really changed things around at the South end though.

No experience with the Nitnat entrance, except for a recommendation to go for the Halibut at the crab shack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page