• 1 Post By kellymcdonald78
  • 1 Post By kellymcdonald78
  • 3 Post By FamilyGuy
  • 1 Post By TheMagBumper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default West Coast Trail Itinerary Feedback

Hi everyone, I am planning on doing the trail in July of 2018. I have planned the following north to south itinerary and am just interested to see if anyone has any feedback they would like to give me on it...

Day 1- Leave Vancouver and spend the night in Port Renfrew (Trailhead Resort) (leave car here for pick up at end)
Day 2- 8:45 am- catch the trail bus from Port Renfrew to Bamfield (there by 12:45 pm)
- Orientation session 2:00-3:30 -camp that night at Pachena Bay Campground (starting point)
Day 3- Begin hike- Pachena Bay- Darling River kms 0-14 (14km)
Day 4- Hike- Darling River- Tsusiat Falls kms 14-25 (11km)
Day 5- Hike- Tsusiat Falls – Cribs Creek kms 25-42 (17km)
Day 6- Hike- Cribs Creek- Cullite Cove kms 42-58 (16km)
Day 7- Hike- Cullite Cove- Thrasher Cove kms 58-70 (12km)
Day 8- Hike- Thrasher Cove-Gordon River km70-75 (5km)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sounds good. I guess you can decide along the way about any changes. Two years ago it was said during the orientation that Cullite Cove was basically washed away, not recommended to stay there. I think some people stayed there anyway. (I didn't like Camper Creek that much)
Make the side trip to the sea lions on day 1 - I didn't think the light house was that interesting, but you have plenty of time.

We stayed at Tsocowis Creek and Bonilla, I liked both. Walbran looked nice as well, good for a swim.
At Tsusiat the bear box was hidden in the trees, to the left if you stand in front of the falls, you have to climb over some dead logs and look into the bushes to find a little path (there is also an outhouse). Most people stayed at the outlet to the right maybe because they saw the other outhouse and the bear box used to be on the right - washed away as well. But everything is explained in detail during the orientation. It was just not that easy to find this bear box.
Doug Worden likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you for your response. I have alternatively come up with this as a 7 day itinerary...

Day 1- Leave Vancouver and spend the night in Port Renfrew (Trailhead Resort) (leave car here for pick up at end)
Day 2- 8:45 am- catch the trail bus from Port Renfrew to Bamfield (there by 12:45 pm)
- Orientation session 2:00-3:30 camp that night at Pachena Bay Campground (starting point)
Day 6- Hike- Cribs Creek- Walbran Creek kms 42-53 (11km)
Day 7- Hike Walbran Creek- Camper Creek kms 53-62 (9km)
Day 8- Hike Camper Creek- Thrasher Cove kms 62- 70 (8km)
Day 9- Hike- Thrasher Cove-End km70-75 (5km)

Not sure what we will end up doing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Is there no more option to water taxi to other trail head?

Edit: looks like there is. http://gpocharters.com/watertaxi.html

I haven't tried the bus, but really liked the water taxi option!

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 01-10-2018 at 03:56 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm8 View Post
Thank you for your response. I have alternatively come up with this as a 7 day itinerary...

- Orientation session 2:00-3:30 camp that night at Pachena Bay Campground (starting point)
Day 6- Hike- Cribs Creek- Walbran Creek kms 42-53 (11km)
Day 7- Hike Walbran Creek- Camper Creek kms 53-62 (9km)
Day 8- Hike Camper Creek- Thrasher Cove kms 62- 70 (8km)
Day 9- Hike- Thrasher Cove-End km70-75 (5km)

Not sure what we will end up doing...
I did almost exactly that but in reverse (Michigan instead of Darling River). Really liked all of the camp sites except Camper which was pretty meh. I would push on to Cullite in the future. Walbran was probably my favourite.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

We went on a similar itinerary, and my only suggestion is right after you have your orientation, once you get your permits...... start hiking. The first 12 km to Michigan Creek are a walk in the park, and while the Pachena Bay campground is nice, once you're on the trail it is much nicer. This will allow you to take a short day or a rest day in the middle somewhere. You can easily make it to Michigan Creek in 3 hours, 4 if you really take your time to sightsee, and finishing by 6-7pm is worth the extra day you gain. While our next trip is likely going to be south to north, if I do north to south again that's what I'd do.
Doug Worden likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I remember reading that Parks was going to allow entry through Nitnat Lk, so doing the northern or southern half was an option. Anybody have any info on this?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by prother View Post
I remember reading that Parks was going to allow entry through Nitnat Lk, so doing the northern or southern half was an option. Anybody have any info on this?
Yes, you can enter or exit the trail at Nitnat. The logistics of getting there are a bit more complex though. You still need the full permit (plus water taxi fee down the lake) and the number of entries is still limited.

One difference this year is that ALL spots are now reservable, they are not holding any spots for walk ups. Without a reservation you’ll need to rely on a no show, cancellation or an empty spot (not a lot of those in the peak July/August season)
Doug Worden likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: biking, hiking

I was told to avoid Thrashers cove by Monique at the burger place. It's 1k off trail in each direction and apparently not much room. especially when the tides are high.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm8 View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning on doing the trail in July of 2018. I have planned the following north to south itinerary and am just interested to see if anyone has any feedback they would like to give me on it...

- Orientation session 2:00-3:30 -camp that night at Pachena Bay Campground (starting point)
Day 6- Hike- Cribs Creek- Cullite Cove kms 42-58 (16km)
Day 7- Hike- Cullite Cove- Thrasher Cove kms 58-70 (12km)
Day 8- Hike- Thrasher Cove-Gordon River km70-75 (5km)
I would do Cribs to Camper on Day 6 and then Camper to Thrasher.

Cullite has very limited spaces to pitch a shelter and it if it full.....
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
I was told to avoid Thrashers cove by Monique at the burger place. It's 1k off trail in each direction and apparently not much room. especially when the tides are high.
From what I hear Thrasher's isn't the greatest and there is the climb down and climb back up. However we ended up hiking Gordon River to Campers in one day, and it was quite the slog (it took us almost 12 hours). It's probably the hardest single part of the trail and far more than the 12km distance would have you think (roots, mud, climbing over and under fallen trees, etc). When we do it again, we'll definitely be stopping at Thrashers and if the tides work, go around Owen's Point
Doug Worden likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
It is just that there is a lot of people that end up there so hence the crowds. I wouldn't avoid it, however. You can do Own Point which is an adventure in itself between Thrasher and Camper.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Scaling New Heights

Thrasher is a beautiful spot. I was there in May, could imagine it being busy in peak season.
Doug Worden likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page