West Coast Trail (August) - Clothing? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default West Coast Trail (August) - Clothing?

We are driving out this weekend and starting the trail on August 2. Any last minute advice re: clothing or other gear that people who've experienced this adventure care to share?

What I am currently planning to bring in terms of clothing (6 days, 5 nights):

- 1 base layer for sleeping (Ice Breaker Merino wool top and bottom)
- 1 hoodie (trying to decide between a thinner one and a warmer one... probably should go with warmer eh?)
- 6 pairs of Merino socks (one per day; will sleep in the next days pair)
- 6 pairs of under armour underwear
- 1 sports bra
- 1 light, long-sleeved heat gear underarmour shirt (UPF 50+)
- 1 Merino wool t-shirt
- 1 pair of Prana convertible pants; water resistant and quick drying
- 1 pair of quick drying runners shorts (can be worn without underwear as bathingsuit bottoms if I want to bathe at some point or for river/creek crossings so I don't have to get my pants and undies wet)
- Marmot Minimalist rain jacket
- MEC Hydrofoil rain pants
- Thin, gripped gloves for climbing ladders
- Gaiters
- 1 bandana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hoodie - I use Costco down puff jackets. 320g for a men's size large, warmer than a fleece and generally lighter. Only worn in camp (under a rain jacket if need be). They are in stock right now for under $50.

Long sleeved shirt - I go with Costco Paradox merino blend (about 18% merino). Big pro is they don't smell like fully synthetic shirts.

Socks and underwear - a daily set is overkill. If it's hot and sweaty you can wash and dry them, if it's cool and damp you don't need to change them as often (you're going to stink anyways).

Instead of soap I bring baby wipes.

I bring a good shammy, for wiping down tents, as a pack towel, drying dishes or whatever else. I find it works better than any expensive pack towel.

With luck I'll see you on the trail. Look for the tall skinny guy with the umbrella.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lythe View Post
Hoodie - I use Costco down puff jackets. 320g for a men's size large, warmer than a fleece and generally lighter. Only worn in camp (under a rain jacket if need be). They are in stock right now for under $50.

Long sleeved shirt - I go with Costco Paradox merino blend (about 18% merino). Big pro is they don't smell like fully synthetic shirts.

Socks and underwear - a daily set is overkill. If it's hot and sweaty you can wash and dry them, if it's cool and damp you don't need to change them as often (you're going to stink anyways).

Instead of soap I bring baby wipes.

I bring a good shammy, for wiping down tents, as a pack towel, drying dishes or whatever else. I find it works better than any expensive pack towel.

With luck I'll see you on the trail. Look for the tall skinny guy with the umbrella.
Haha nice. My friend has an umbrella hat :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I've been debating about how many socks to bring. I know it's overkill to bring a pair per day when I can just wash them... but we had friends go last year who got rained on literally the ENTIRE time, so they ended up not being able to dry any of the stuff they washed and that was miserable.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I'd recommend keeping a close eye on the forecast as the conditions can vary widely. When we went in August 2015 the weather was perfect. We had about 12 seconds of rain the whole trip and all the creek crossings were either dry along the beach or crossable via cable car (no wading). I ended up leaving my rain pants at the trailhead as we just wouldn't need them. In those conditions, 3 pairs of merino socks and underwear were more than sufficient.

3 weeks later due to torrential rains, they were preventing people from starting and several folks ended up stranded on the trail for days as most of the creeks were in flood. In that case your clothing needs are going to be very different

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page