ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Vancouver Island Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/30-british-columbia-vancouver-island-hiking/)
-   -   Kayaking with bike (https://forums.clubtread.com/30-british-columbia-vancouver-island-hiking/72922-kayaking-bike.html)

sean1515 07-11-2016 12:41 AM

Kayaking with bike

This is a fun idea (not necessarily realistic), though it could be useful. I live near Port Moody, and was thinking I could get quicker access to mount Seymour from my house, without using a car, by somehow biking to Belcarra, kayaking across Indian Arm from Belcarra to Deep Cove, and then using the bike to climb seymour to access hiking trails on Seymour Ridge. Does anyone know the conditions on indian arm (currents, wind ect), and how feasible it would be to kayak with a bike and backpack? Does anyone know of how a kayak could be transported on the Belcarra side (from home to Belcarra) on the bike? Are there strong inflatable kayaks / rafts that could be compacted, and not excessively heavy? Could towing a kayak on wheels work? I know, this is a crazy idea - it would just be fun to pull off.

tinman610 07-11-2016 03:45 PM

Its crazy enough that it just might work. I walk my kayak a few blocks to a nearby stream and lake on a C-Tug kayak cart. I also used to ride my bike pulling my golf clubs on a cart. A quick google of pulling kayak with bicycle will show you a few examples. It looks feasible but I would want to be on some quiet roads where there is not much traffic.

solo75 07-11-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean1515 (Post 729690)
Are there strong inflatable kayaks / rafts that could be compacted, and not excessively heavy? .

Baylee rafts by Feathercraft are foldable compact rafts which weigh close to 10 lbs. There is Alpacka rafts which are also foldable and weigh half as much as the Baylee....they pack down to 8x24"

Dru 07-11-2016 07:52 PM

I think a foldable bike is more significant need if using a kayak. A canoe or packraft would allow using a non-foldable bike.

alexcanuck 07-11-2016 10:39 PM

It would take an inflatable kayak/canoe or a folding frame and skin rig (expensive) to combine the seaworthiness, cargo room and packability you need. I have a packraft, I absolutely wouldn't want to load a bike, even a folding one and cross Indian Arm. They are really slow, impossible in wind, single chamber and very puncturable.

You can access trail-heads from Deep Cove, Granite Falls, (whatever it's called where Elsay Creek comes in), and a few more. Get a fast boat you can paddle from PM and skip the bike?

A good, tough, bigger inflatable 2 person kayak (tight fit, tiny cargo for two people, roomy with huge cargo for solo use,) will go very nicely in a bike trailer, a full size bike and trailer would be an awkward load to stow and would still stick up a lot with some stability and aerodynamic impairment but still perfectly safe and comfortable if you know your boat, yourself and water in general. A folding bike and some folding ability to the trailer would be a big bonus. Often the bike would stay locked at the launch. That rig would work, and work well. You could find the pieces today off Craigslist, $2000-ish for good stuff that'll last for many years absent abuse. I have an Innova Helios 2 that is starting to look pretty worn after 12 years with plenty of trips, never put my bike in/on it but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

The available wheels on all kayak carts I've seen are insufficient for bike speeds/range/need not to tip over easily. A hardshell kayak as a trailer is feasible, would work great on land, but requires custom cart and bike attachment. Much worse to attach a bike to a hardshell.

martin 07-14-2016 04:47 PM

Jason Addy has done some trips like this.
http://www.selfpropelledoutdoorclub....rtsmeslil.html