• 1 Post By seboyle
  • 1 Post By FamilyGuy
  • 1 Post By danfred
  • 1 Post By kellymcdonald78

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default West Coast Trail question

Has anyone hiked from Pachena Bay to Tsusiat Falls (north to south) in one day? Is it doable? is it advisable?!
Thx!
~ TM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I haven't but there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't, after all people have run the whole trail in about 10 hours. It's 'only' about 25km. This will of course depend on a few factors though such as your experience (pack size, bad weather and how you handle it, etc.) and fitness level. What's good for one is not the same for another. I know I could do this with no problem but I have seen many people on the trail who I imagine wouldn't even contemplate it. For me it's a very straightforward hike with few if any issues (distance, hazards, etc.) The simple answer though is can YOU do it?

Your biggest problem might be when you start. If you mean in the remainder of this season your daylight hours are getting shorter (no reason not to use a headlamp though) but the issue you maybe want to think about most is the time of day you begin. Don't forget you have to attend an orientation before you start. I would say that it would be best to do this the day before so you can get a full day on the trail from first thing in the morning otherwise you'll be cuting down on your daylight. There are also two points where you need a 9ft or lower tide (strictly speaking that's one point as the other has an alternative forest route). That shouldn't be a problem though.

Is it advisable? Depends on what you want from your trip. Are you short of time? This is definitely the best bit of trail to make up time on (easy hiking and less scenic). So in that case I would say a qualified 'yes'. Or are you trying to do the whole trail in three days? If so, presuming this is your first time, why?

Hope that helps, not being flippant or anything, just that the answer is very relative. Physically it can be done no problem. The rest is up to you.
terradana and kellymcdonald78 like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thx Seboyle,
We have 5 nts/6 days to do the WCT, I was just trying to work in a little buffer, maybe take our time in other sections that may be more difficult...we'll do the orientation the day before so that we can get on the trail bright and early. Thanks for your reply!
~ Terra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I just looked at my old WCT permit. I did the trail Sept20/02.
I went south to north, first night at Cullite cove, second at Tsusiat falls, out the third day before noon. So Pachena to Tsusiat can definetly be done in one day, but like Sean said, only you know if that's the best plan for your fitness level.

My reason for the "fast" trip, I prefer to spend most of my time moving while backpacking, I'm not the type to hang out in camp for hours.
terradana and seboyle like this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by terradana View Post
Thx Seboyle,
We have 5 nts/6 days to do the WCT, I was just trying to work in a little buffer, maybe take our time in other sections that may be more difficult...we'll do the orientation the day before so that we can get on the trail bright and early. Thanks for your reply!
~ Terra
You're very welcome.

For what it's worth I think 5 nights/6 days is about spot on for the WCT. I always go N-S and I would do something like Darling River or OJ Creek (no toilet keeps it quiet) or Tscowis (sp?) - Tsusiat - Cribbs - Walbran or Camper - Thrasher.

It seems to me that if you even think you're capable of doing Tsusiat in one day you really shouldn't have to worry about the other sections. I mean they're slower for sure, but they're not that slow. The only place that might cause you to have a long hard day (IMO) is between Walbran and Camper with the ladders and mud. I did Walbran to Thrasher in about 6 hours my first time via Owen Point in the rain so even that doesn't have to slow you down too much.

Enjoy it whatever you do, it's a great trail.

Try to do Owen Point, it's a good section and way nicer than the forest. DON'T do the forest section before Walbran, the beach is way easier/nicer.
terradana likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 03:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terradana View Post
Has anyone hiked from Pachena Bay to Tsusiat Falls (north to south) in one day? Is it doable? is it advisable?!
Thx!
~ TM
I have trekked from Pachena to Cribs (not recommended) in one day (41 KM) so you will have no problem hiking from Pachena to Tsusiat. In fact, at least half is on the beach / tidal shelf and you will make good time.
terradana likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 12:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I just came back. The trail is pretty mucky now, might slow you down. When I was there the park had to stop crossings at Michigan and Darling because of the flash flooding for a day. Hikers were falling in. Water at Tsusiat tasted awful, but nice site.
I sprained my knee and had to exit at Natnat. I'll be going back next year.
terradana likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfred View Post
I just came back. The trail is pretty mucky now, might slow you down. When I was there the park had to stop crossings at Michigan and Darling because of the flash flooding for a day. Hikers were falling in. Water at Tsusiat tasted awful, but nice site.
I sprained my knee and had to exit at Natnat. I'll be going back next year.

Sorry to hear about your knee. We noticed the same strange taste at Tsusiat as well when we were there last month, thought it may have been due to the low water levels, but sounds like that isn't an issue right now.
danfred likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Just got back from the WCT on Sept 13th, Danfred’s right about the muckiness of the trail, there were some serious rains a few days before we got to Pachena and something like 60 people were evacuated out of Nitinat due to poor conditions! We bumped into some of those intrepid hikers at Camper’s later, they’d returned to finish the hike.

Had intended to spend the first night at the Pachena campground and take 5nts/6days for the trail, but after our “90-minute” orientation (which actually took 20mins) the Parks Service gal informed us that we could start that afternoon instead of waiting til the next day. Therefore, we only made it to Michigan the first night instead of Tsusiat as planned. But I gotta tell ya, I wouldn’t haven’t made it to the Falls in one day anyway, not with the conditions of the trail as they were. Plus, my feet took one look at my trusty old hiking boots and promptly burst into blisters. So things went slower than planned. Loved the mud, roots, ladders, and cable cars; the boardwalks scared the hell out of me!

Our itinerary: Michigan (rain), Tsusiat (rain), Cribbs (rain), Walbran (sun), Camper (sun), Thrasher (sun). Didn’t get to do Owen’s Point as the tides were not in our favour. We could’ve done some sections faster (like Camper to trail’s end in one day) but the weather was clear (at night too, lots of stars) so we decided to just enjoy being on the trail, getting into camp early enough to dry out our gear, have a fire etc. Seboyle was right, why rush my first time on this trail!

It was the hardest most satisfying hike I’ve done thus far and I can’t even believe I’m thinking about doing it again….

Thanks to all for advice and info, sorry to Danfred to hear about your knee, hope it heals quickly

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page