WCT planning questions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default WCT planning questions

I didn't want to hijack the other user's post, so I thought I'd create another thread. I am doing the WCT July 3rd 2015 and trying to plan a couple itineraries based on doing the trail in 4 days, and 5 days. My girlfriend and I are very strong hikers, but would like opinions of people who have hiked it.

We are getting the bus from Port Renfrew to the north trailhead, and so arriving around 12:30pm makes us lose half a day for hiking. For a 5 day plan, I thought of camping at Darling, Tsusiat, Carmanah, Camper, then finishing. From everything I've read those seem like nice campsites. Does anyone suggest a better 5 day plan?

If we wanted to try to do it in 4 days, what would people suggest? Hiking to Tsusiat the first day seems like a big stretch with the time available. It would put us into Tsusiat around 8pm, which is late to enjoy and not feel rushed. However staying at Darling or Tsocowis, the first night and pushing hard the second day to make up the time, and passing the reserve would make it at least a 28Km day. That seems unreasonable. Is it possible to stay at Tsusiat the second night and push hard the 3rd day?

And, in the end, all this planning could go straight out the window and it'll take us however many days to do it, based on how we feel, weather etc. We will have food for 6 days in case of that.

Also, a final question; I thought I read somewhere that there are showers at the trailheads, so getting cleaned up after the hike is possible. Is this true and are they at the WCT office?

I'm a bit of a planner, even though plans can fail. Thank you for any advice you all have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Moving North to South, your first plan seems reasonable. If you wanted to break it down to 4 days, I would suggest Tsocowis Creek on that first half day. The hiking is pretty easy and you are moving mostly on the tidal shelf / beach (assuming the tides cooperate). If it is still reasonably early by the time you reach that point, however, you could push on to Klanawa. Very few people end up there because Tsusiat is not that far away so it is quite secluded.

Day2: Head to Tsusiat and spend some time there. You will pass the Hole in the Wall and will enjoy a lot of photo opportunities. You will pass NitNat Narrows and can have some crab for lunch. Stop at Cribs for the night.

Day 3: Cribs to Camper but stop at Chez Moniques on the way for breakfast / lunch.

Day 4: Camper out to Gordon River Trail Head.

I would suggest packing light as there are some accumulation of KM's here. Personally, I prefer doing it the other way so that I get the slower sections done first when I am freshest.

There are no showers at the trail heads. There are showers in Port Renfrew (Gordon River) that are for campers I believe. But not at the trail head. By Pachena Bay, there is a campsite and they may have showers. Not sure however. I always embrace the stink.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Hi!

If you were to read the summary of my trip report from '14, I go through what we DID each day, and what we SHOULD have done..

4 days is doable, if a bit of a rush, less enjoyable..

For showers, we used Hiker Huts (see TR).

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thank you both for your replies. That is one thing I'm trying to determine....the balance between going fast and taking enough time to "enjoy" the trip. We are staying at the hiker huts the night before the hike to do the orientation the day before to save time. Just curious of the options for a shower after we finish the trail. the road trip back to Calgary would be more enjoyable clean and smelling fresh.

I think I read your TR Doug, a couple weeks ago. I'll re-read to refresh my memory.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

i did family guy's exact suggested itinerary solo this spring. Late start day 1 (due to bus/orientation).

Day 2 felt a bit rushed but not too bad. If i did that itinerary again I probably wouldn't do such a big day 2/3.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Backpacking, trail running, spending time with my wife, kids, and dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Bluegrasser View Post
the road trip back to Calgary would be more enjoyable clean and smelling fresh.
Axe for men!

I did the trail a few years ago in jut over 2 days. It wasn't fun. At all, actually.

4-5 days is just about perfect but given this is your first time, why rush? There is a lot to see and several side trips (i.e. sea lion watching, the Carmanah Giant, etc).

I do think you are on the right track, however. If you have 6 days and choose to compress the timing then great. Nice to have contingency plan for sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page