3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lonny
  • 1 Post By Wolverine692
  • 1 Post By sthorout

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Septimus Traverse Cream Lake to Love Lake

i'm trying to assess the feasibility of doing this route...i understand where it goes, i think...take the glacier up on the right side...traverse across the flank with a slope to the right, at the far end seek out the ridge down to Love Lake

can anyone confirm if i have that route right?

also i would appreciate a comment or two on difficulty and safety...we're hikers, not climbers...we've climbed Albert Edward, Arrowsmith via Judges Route, done multi-night backpacking, and been to both Love and Cream Lakes, but haven't done Bedwell to Great Central as a through hike...if there are areas where a fall could be deadly, we likely won't do this (new to the sport, for a couple years, mid-50s, but eager)...so i'm trying to assess the risk too

cheers and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
mdb
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, mountain biking, motorcycles

The hike itself is pretty easy. The glacier on Septimus is pretty safe as far as glaciers go. That does not mean there are no risks. I met a person up there several years back that stepped into a crevasse banged her leg up pretty good. A lot of the hazard on the snow/ice depends on the previous winters snow pack.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Going up the snowfield of Septimus should be fairly straight-forward and safe. The route from the shoulder down to Love Lake is a bit trickier, with lots of ledges/cliffs. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time to navigate and find a route down that will suit your comfort level, especially with a full pack on.
knip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, my biking

How long did it take to hike form cream lake to love lake?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

i met a group at della last summer that came over that way...about 4 20-something fit young adults...they hiked parking lot to cream, then camped, and then took all day to get to della campsite on the traverse, they pulled into della camp around 7 PM or so...i don't know what time they left, but considering love to della going down is about, what, 2.5 hrs i think? it's still a pretty full day getting from cream to love i think
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Recent trip to cream

Me and a few friends have lots of experience up around that area. If it were me I would hike from parking area to cream. Then camp at cream. Then do the summit to septimus which I would still recommend crampons. Once reaching summit head to the right of u are looking at love lake. We marked a trail that we made with rocks. That goes down to love. The hardest part is going down a river bed at the end near the lake. Once you get down you will have to bush wack to the other side of the lake. Then there will be the marked out trail to Della. Good luck
knip likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Hittin' the Trails

There is an alternate way down to Love lake from the Septimus col. Having done them both I prefer to go left around Love lake, following the obvious bench to the ridge east of the lake. Then continue south along the top of that ridge until the downhill stops at a large rocky knob. From here drop down to the lake through steep openish slopes and follow the shore to the outlet. Its much less bushy and you can see your route easier as you go. However it is a little longer. Just thought I'd mention it. Have fun, its a beautiful part of the park!
knip likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page