Route from Circlet lake to Mount frink - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Route from Circlet lake to Mount frink

Im planning the route from circlet lake,via Moat lake,Mount frink and castle crag, then on to Albert Edward. How long should one allow for that? Is it generally a day hike? I hike at a moderate pace and like to take my time along the way. The over all conditions of the trail? Is it well marked, suitable camp sites in those areas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Headed for the Mountains

i had planned to do albert edward, frink, castlecrag, and back to circlet via moat last year...by the time i got up there i knew there wasn't enough day

it depends on your speed, and mine isn't speedy...i think you need to judge it depending upon when you get to your decision point
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

Since this is within one of the 'core areas' of Strathcona Park, camping is only allowed at designated campsites I.e. Circlet Lake.
The Comox District Mountaineering Club has GPS tracks you can download e.g. http://comoxhiking.com/route/display/48 for the Frink/Castlecrag loop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You'll find camping on the shoulder of of the normal route from Circlet Lake to Albert Edward. It is technically in the core area but BC Parks never seems to have a problem with it. If you go a little higher onto the ridge there are some camping spots just on the other side of the ridge and those should be out of the core area.

But from Circlet Lake the Frink, Castle Craig, Mt AE is a day hike. There will be snow up there at this time of year.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I did raven lodge to Albert Edward, then Frink, then backside of Castle Crag, then back to raven lodge in 12 hours last year. The only thing I didn't get was the top of Castle Crag, because the way up isn't clearly marked and I didn't have the time to hunt around. So make sure to have good directions if you want to get to the top of Castle Crag.

From the circlet turnoff up, then back down to the turnoff took me just over 7 hours. I was going fairly steady, so adjust for your planned speed and add extra for breaks, and for the trip up Castle Crag.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks every one for your feed back, i will have to re adjust my time to allow for a longer stay.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I did the Castlecrag circuit, including a trip up to Albert Edward, on a Labour Day long weekend a few years back. As I recall, we left Kwai Lake before dawn (6 o'clock?)and returned at dusk. It was a long steady day but passed quickly on account of good company and great scenery. Although we encountered no other parties during the hike, the route is pretty well established. The wildflowers on the southern slopes were phenomenal. Have fun out there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page