New to the Island - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp
Default New to the Island

Hey Treaders!

Just moved to Victoria 4 weeks ago and I only know 4 people in the entire city, none of whom are backpackers/hikers.
So I wanted to "put my hat in the ring", and let you all know that I'm around and if you're looking for a new hiking/backpacking companion than let me know.
I see we're forcasted for rain all weekend but if anyone feels like getting out and stretching their legs any way, I'm around and willing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Marc,

:Look up www.accvi.ca. There's probably a couple hundred members in the Victoria area and there's lots on the schedule.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hey Marc, I'm newish too, although I went to UVic in university. Let's meet up for a hike, maybe do Finlayson or something short/quick.

Unfortunately there isn't anything super close, there's some stuff around the Juan De Fuca trail area, some short hikes on the malahat, and then there's lots up in Strathcona but that's a bit of a road trip.

I'm not working right now so I'm good to go any day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I'm available on Sunday, have a vehicle but only have room for 1 passenger unless you have a place to store 4 tires for a bit, then I'd have room for 4

prother - thanks!

sixwings - are you free on Sunday?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sixwings

Hey Marc, I'm newish too, although I went to UVic in university. Let's meet up for a hike, maybe do Finlayson or something short/quick.

Unfortunately there isn't anything super close, there's some stuff around the Juan De Fuca trail area, some short hikes on the malahat, and then there's lots up in Strathcona but that's a bit of a road trip.

I'm not working right now so I'm good to go any day.

there's more around victoria than you realize...you can spend eons in the sooke hills...and there are some nice unoffocial camping spots...of course, nothing beats strathcona

i have lots of gps tracks locally, if you're interested
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Knip, I'm definitely interested! Drop me an email.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I'm up island in the Parksville area, If you're ever interested in hiking/ snowshoeing arrowsmith or strathcona, Marc I'm usually in for it. Have the next month off wok too so anytime. Hope you like Vic, its a great city just a little far from the mountains.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I definitely want to spend some time in Strathcona, I've only ever done the Bedwell Lakes and want to do some more.
New job, so no vacation time for the next bit, but one of the long weekends I'll definitely be heading that way 00skully and I'll send you a message when I do.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Scaling New Heights

Also check out www.meetup.com in the Victoria area, there are a few groups on that site who do hiking/back packing etc. A great way to connect with others...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
qiz
Headed for the Mountains

There is www.clubtread.org in Victoria too...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by qiz

There is www.clubtread.org in Victoria too...
I've looked at that already but I'm not convinced that the $30 membership fee is worth it, at least not for me. Their schedule seems to be mostly little day hikes, which I can and will do myself don't really see the "value added" in this case.
I will be joining the ACC - Victoria chapter though.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

I would be enjoying the Gulf Islands and the adventures the hold. Just a ferry away...

post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Though I'll be rather busy in the next couple weeks due to finals, I'm also in Vic and always up for exploring. Only have done a couple of peaks on the island but have done most of the coastal trails. It's too bad how far it is to decent sized mountains, but there's some nice hills (maybe even peaks) on the south island. I'd like to try Moriarty just because of the name.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Good to know jd22. I'm busy myself with moving for the next few weekends, but should be officially moved over to the island after Dec. 1 at which point I should be available most weekends/evenings for stuff.

I'll start posting sign-ups once I'm here full time in the hopes to meet a few people who are up for some regular backpacking trips.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to the island as well. Id love to meet up for some hikes. Unfortunately I only get sun/mon off & rarely a long weekend. But I'm down with doing some day hikes or some overnighters late spring to fall.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page