Crest Mt - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Treading
Default Crest Mt

Anyone know the trail up Crest Mt very well. I am thinking of doing it this weekend. Snow levels seem to be around 900m/2700ft so that is well before the top. What I am wondering is how is the terrain at this altitude? Is it going to be a pain to gain the summit ridge/plateau on snow? I am thinking about bringing snowshoes for the last part ...

Topos dont indicate any obvious avi hazards, but is there anything I should know about?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

This year, I've only been as far as the footbridge over the creek. Up to that point, some parts of the trail look more like a dried creek bred. I haven't been to the top but higher up I think the trail becomes more indistinct even without snow on the ground. I've never hiked it when there is snow around and there are no markers (ribbons) to guide you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Is 900m a good guess for where the snow levels are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

Bound to be snow at the top if you get there, so a word of advise temporarily mark your entrance/exit point to the trail when you reach the top level, the snowpack in hot weather will melt at a rate that will cause your tracks to disappear and make it confusing where to exit to your descent in the evening.
I know.

* also, the creek about halfway along will have a tremendous flow rate in the afternoon, so use caution if the crossing is washed out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

good info Cambium - I was planning on marking entry/exit out of the trees and trail. I usually use combination of GPS and some physical marker. I'll definitely watch out for the creek crossing.

I'm bringing snowshoes for the top, but Im not sure if I will go all the way up. Depends how my partner feels about things, etc..

I'll report back Monday. Thanks for the info/advice from everyone. Have a good weekend.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Snows at 1030m as of May 26, 2012. Trail is like a stairmaster with pine needles.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've never done that trail before. Did you enjoy it? How was the view from the top? Show some photos if you took some!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Scaling New Heights

The view of King's Peak, the Filberg Range and the Elk River valley are fantastic, you won;t be disappointed. If you have time to get to the very high point at the north end of the plateau then there are views into the north part of Strathcona too but those to the south from the point the trail reaches the alpine are the most impressive.
Have fun!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page