Missing.......presumed..... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Missing.......presumed.....

In the early - mid '70s a hunter went missing in the headwaters of the Englishman River, in the canyon between Cokley and Arrowsmith. The elderly re-tired firemarshall of NWB told me of this in the early '80s

That canyon has always given me the creeps....even before hearing the story of the missing man. Any info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

So you have a fear of an elderly man rampaging down the canyon after being lost for the last 35 years or so?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Where exactly is the canyon? Between Cokely and Arrowsmith is the outfall from Jewel Lake, or as some call it Emerald Lake, which is the headwaters of the Englishman River. I don't recall a canyon through there, but I do remember a horrific bushwhack through second growth... done once, never to be repeated.

A route was put up that way in the mid 1960's, as the logging roads crept up that way and before the road system was built on the SW (Judges Rt) side, by Bill Perry, called "Blackies Route". He named it after his dog Blackie, that accompanied him to the summit via the Nose (on belay).

Can you give a more exact location of the canyon?

Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Access was from 143A-40 in NWB. The Englishman river came out of a canyon and ran under the road (culvert). There is a small lake in there, a nightmare to get to from the logging road.

According to the firemarshall, the missing man's truck was found parked at the entrance of this canyon/valley. It looked like he had gone hunting. Firemarshall also said that a helicopter search had been done, and also a psychic had been used. No sign of him ever..

I did ask the firemarshall what he thought had happened....his answer, a bear may have been involved.

Hope that helps....also the missing man was from Parksville
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

I think you're referring to the outfall from the small lake downstream from Fishtail Lake, so named because it looks like a fish body & tail, from the summit of Arrowsmith and on topo maps. The small lake is jokingly and unofficially named "Fish Head Lake" or simply "The Head", because on a topo it looks like the head that is severed from the Fishtail body.

PR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My husband just did the bushwhack up to Fishtail Lake a week ago. He said there were a couple old static ropes up the cliffs on the right side of the river looking up from the logging road. It was quite a scramble up to Fishhead Lake with a nice series of warm waterfalls to cool off in enroute. At Fishtail Lake the bugs were pretty bad. There was evidence of somebody frequenting the area though how long ago my husband could not tell. A scenic bluff at the outflow from the lake had some sawed off tree stumps perhaps to improve the view. There was also a very old cracked rubber dinghy that had been patched many times along with a couple plastic oars and a tarp not far from the bluff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page