Cokely via CPR trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Osbos

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
edb

Default Cokely via CPR trail

I'm planning to do a hike to Cokely via the CPR trail starting out from Lake Cameron. I've never been past the lookout, so I was wondering how far is it to get to Cokely from the lookout. I plan on doing a day hike. It usually takes me 2.5 hours to get to the lookout from the Lake, moving at a comfortable pace. So I just wanted to know how much more time to the top of Cokely from that point where the trail splits to the lookout. Also, is the trail well marked to Mt. Cokely from that point.

Thanks. Any GPS tracks would be cool if someone can contribute that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

When at the Lookout, you are about half way to the summit of Cokely. Return on the CPR trail for the best hiking. The Old Arrowsmith Trail was built by the CPR in 1912 as tourist trail from the Chalet/ Train Station on Cameron Lk. It is likely the oldest, still in use, trail on the entire Island.

Peter
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
edb

Thanks for the info. I think we'll start from the Lake, head on up the CPR trail (instead of going to the viewpoint), and then follow the ski lift up to Mount Cokely. We would probably return via the Lookout Trail, or is that trail not as good as the CPR trail?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

I did the CPR up to Cokely and the Lookout back down back in 2003 and 2004 and from what I remember both trails were pleasant.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
edb

Wow. The hike up from Cameron Lake to Cokely and back is a long hike. It was fun though.

Although I have to go back up and sign the log book because we couldn't find it near that repeater shack. Is there even a log book up on Cokely?

Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

There's no register on Cokely. I put one up there about five years ago and it disappeared within a month. That was around the time that some party yahoos laid claim to the "Johnnies Grill" cabin and were leaving axe blazes on trees and beer can litter on the upper Rosseau Trail. They have gone, so maybe it's time to put another one up.

Peter
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Update on the old CPR trail. As of April 2017, the lower part of the slope, from the highway to the McBey Creek bridge, has been logged by Island Timberlands. The trail now starts at the bridge. So much for the historic trail! I don't think I'll be going there anytime soon. Too depressing.
cjstepney likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page