Where to park at WCT (Gordon River)? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Where to park at WCT (Gordon River)?

I wonder if it's safe to park at the Gordon River trailhead? I read it's not advised, but not sure if the probability of a break-in is high enough to worry much about this. Did anyone park there before? How did it go? If that's not a good place to park, then where should I leave my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Yes, about a kilometer up the road from the park office boat launch is a private parking lot, about $5 a night, self-registered...I've left my car there a few times with no problem, never heard of anyone having a problem either.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fernwoodguy

Yes, about a kilometer up the road from the park office boat launch is a private parking lot, about $5 a night, self-registered...I've left my car there a few times with no problem, never heard of anyone having a problem either.
If it's self-registered (not supervised), doesn't that mean that a break-in could occur just as likely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I'm not sure if the Medd's are still running their parking business on their lawn (across from the Lighthouse Pub) but that is a good option. He will even run you to the trailhead in the back of his pickup. IIRC, it was about $7 a day.

You will find an easy solution when you get there. The trail is a big part of the town's livelihood, so there are many people willing to help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuperTwink
You will find an easy solution when you get there. The trail is a big part of the town's livelihood, so there are many people willing to help.
LOL. I hope their whole economy doesn't depend on this trail, or else I get these thoughts that some of the people that offer paid parking are actually the ones that do all the break-ins. I mean it's a small town, how hard would it be to catch these few thiefs if they really wanted to? Just some food for thought

I guess I'll see how it goes once I get there, but also wanted to get some opinions/recommendations before I go.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The parking lot is in someone's yard that can be seen from their house...I think he closes the gate at night too. Regardless, I wouldn't leave anyting of value in your car anyway.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, scuba, golf, skiing, travel

You can still park at Stan Mead's and Evan does run a shuttle service. Note that the trail office has been moved on a temporary basis to the recreation centre closer to town. Stan prides himself on the fact that vehicles parked on his lawn have been very secure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trailseeker

You can still park at Stan Mead's and Evan does run a shuttle service. Note that the trail office has been moved on a temporary basis to the recreation centre closer to town. Stan prides himself on the fact that vehicles parked on his lawn have been very secure.
How do I find these parking spots? Are there clear and visible signs or everything is kind of obscure?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, sea kayaking, snowshoeing, and crazy carpeting

When I was there in 2005 it was pretty easy to find. Just look for the signs. No problem with either of the cars parked in our group.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, scuba, golf, skiing, travel

If you wish to park at Stan's continue along the main road past the general store and the re-cycling depot and continue until the road takes a sharp right just after the Trailhead Motel. Stan's is the small house on the right hand side...you will see cars parked on the grass.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, running, mountain biking.

We just came back from doing a yo-yo of the WCT (great weather for May) and a few things have changed with registration.
As trailseeker mentioned the registration center has moved - no longer at the trailhead at Gordon River but now in town in the back of the recreation center (will stay there until a new building is built). You have to pay for a WCT map now (we had our own - I believe they are charging $8 or so). You can download your own at http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/pacific...ges/SCO1_e.pdf , other side is http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/pacific...ges/SCO2_e.pdf , laminate it after printing. A guy (not sure of his name, does shuttle service in town and I think has parking lot as well) unofficially comes by after registration to drive people to the trailhead (it's about 2km), I think he is charging $2 to transport people from the office to the trailhead.

You may want to call the Port Renfrew WCT office at:

Gordon River Information / Registration Centre
Phone: (250) 647-5434
Fax: (250) 647-0016
Open daily 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., May 1 to Oct. 5

to get more info on parking so you can have your vehicle parked before registration. Be aware that orientation is at 9:30am and 1:30pm so try to not call for 1.5 hrs after those times as your call won't be picked up.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Last year, I parked at the same place where Fernwoodguy described. Last year, at the south trail head there was a rumour floating around about " vehicle break-in's" so I took the time to speak to the locals. I came to the conclusion that....My vehicle is safer parked there than in my front yard. Those are small communities and lots of honest people in them. I had no problems parking my vehicle there over the past four years. Actually, I would prefer to park there because I know the money goes into that small community. Infact, I will park my vehicle there this year if there is space.

.....besides all I leave in the vehicle is a change of clothes after a hike. ... why would someone want to break in and steal and/or wear my old underwear? LMAO (laugh my ass off)

See you all on the hiking trails.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page