Recommend a place........ - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Default Recommend a place........

This is my first post......I'm looking for a place near the sea for my vacation on the island, where I can rent a cabin/cottage (my wife doesn't like camping), do some hiking, kayak, walking on the beach....Places like Tofino will be great, but we have been there before. Any other recommendation? thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Treading

Are you set on the Vancouver Island - some of the Gulf Islands of Vancouver Island would have lots of what you are looking for.

You could also look in the Parksville area - there are resorts/cabins up there that might suit. I'm not that familiar with the area though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

You may want to try Moocha bay outside of gold river or actually take the M.V.uchuck from Gold river to Friendly cove and stay in one of the rustic cabins there. The year I hiked Nootka trail the ferry was on a Saturday and Wednesday rotation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: this and that, here and there I may be boring, but i\'m never really bored... and that\'s all that matters. Isn\'t it?

I recommend the Sunshine Coast... you still have to take a ferry so it feels like you're on an island =)

http://tuwanek.com is a great little place with places to rent.
some nice Kayak trips from there

enroute, Gibsons waterfront, Roberts Creek famous Gumboot cafe and hideaway beaches, Great sunsets at Davis Bay (and the BEach Buoy for fish and chips hehe), nice beach at Sechelt (I like the lighthouse pub on the Sechelt Inlet side)...and on up the road there's neat little places to stop. Lot's of short easy hikes abound.

oh there's also my inlaws cabin that they rent out on the waterfront.
in Sechelt. I love it there. If you're interested in it i'll get more details and see if it's available.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Forgot to mention I've been to sunshine coast last year. It was gorgeous. We definelty want to come back again. But since there also are so many new places we haven't checked out yet, we like to go to some new place this year.

recommendations welcome! I'm not very familar with the island. I'm appreciated any input!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

I talked with some friends and now is very interested in this road trip plan:

Vancouver --> Prince George (over night) --> Prince Rupert --> Queen Charlotte island (stay 2-3 days) --> prince rupert--> through "inside passage" to Port Hardy (over night)-->Nanamo--->Vancouer

We estimate to spend one week for this trip. Any recommendation for "good stop site" during the trip? We might go to Duncan (city of Totems) and take Ferry from Victoria....Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 AM

So, is that the plan for sure, now? Queen Charlottes? And the wife doesn't like camping? Hmmm. How about the Clayquot Safari mentioned in spring 2008 BC magazine? Looks pretty sweet... canvas tents, masseuse (yes, they have spa tents), remote controlled fireplaces, gormet meals, and horseback rides through huge oldgrowth forest, zodiac whale watching tours etc...

www.wildretreat.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

over $5000 for 3 nights........[:0][:0][:0]

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fatty74

So, is that the plan for sure, now? Queen Charlottes? And the wife doesn't like camping? Hmmm. How about the Clayquot Safari mentioned in spring 2008 BC magazine? Looks pretty sweet... canvas tents, masseuse (yes, they have spa tents), remote controlled fireplaces, gormet meals, and horseback rides through huge oldgrowth forest, zodiac whale watching tours etc...

www.wildretreat.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM

OUCH... crazy...
well have fun in the Charlottes.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Could you recommend some good Gulf islands resorts? Never been there before. thanks a lot!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wbaker

Are you set on the Vancouver Island - some of the Gulf Islands of Vancouver Island would have lots of what you are looking for.

You could also look in the Parksville area - there are resorts/cabins up there that might suit. I'm not that familiar with the area though.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Salt Spring Island has a lot of great B&Bs, and a great little town for your wife to browse...you can also jump around the islands by ferry and check out some great hiking trails on Saltspring or the other islands. Ruckle is great. This site is great for saltspring... http://www.saltspringmarket.com/

best hiking trails on the islands are Bodega Ridge on Galiano and Warburton on Saturna (but Saturna is kind of tough to get to)...
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quadra Island is a must-visit

http://www.quadraisland.ca
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Hiking/Scrambling, Backpacking,cycling,photography, Travelling, Theatre/Arts....Exploring and Living!

Mayne island is fantastic. At Active pass there is a place right on the ocean that also rents kayaks. Can't remember the name, but is well known.

Galiano island is another one. There are many along the way that have kayak rentals and cabins by the ocean.

Have fun.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking(of course), gardening, reading, and generally having a good time

Please don't waste valuable time in Duncan (no offense to Duncan residents) I work in the city of totems and it's pretty much the armpit of Vancouver Island. If you want to see totems, Beacon Hill Park in Victoria has some. The sightseeing in Victoria is much better. One of my favourites is Buchart Gardens
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Have you thought of Tofino or Uclelet. Its a very beautiful drive from the east coast communities through Port Alberni to the West Coast. There are quite a few resorts ranging from reasonable to outrageous. Personally I think all the communities from Campbell River to Duncan are the same and really don't really differ in what they have to offer. Victoria, the north island and the west coast seem to offer something unique.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page