Info on the Nootka Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, biking,drumming building trails.
Default Info on the Nootka Trail

Just looking for a bit of info on the nootka island trail.
whens the best time to do it? Where to start and finish, transportation, boat or plane and how much, and is it a worthwhile hike ive heard good things about it, looking forward to philip stones
write up on it, does anyone know when exactly its out, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Treading

I did it about 5 years ago so pardon my lack of detail. But ...

It was a great hike at the time. Very few people. Lots of wildlife. We saw bears, grey whales, eagles and had a wolf out of the woods onto the beach 10m in front of us. Before I had a digital camera so sorry - no pics.

We went in from the north end and we we hired a boat from Tahsis. We took 5 or 6 days to hike down to the lighthouse further south. It days was a ton of time. We only hiked half days at the most. Trail was strightforward. Standard beach, woods, then back to the woods trip. Trailheads marked with beach debris.

Ate a lot of mussels. Be aware of the red tide though. We were young and ignorant.

We tried to do a sidetrip to an inland lake, but got totally lost. I believe there is a worn trail but we did not have the right info.

I'd go in summer months so there is less chance of rain. We had rain every day and at one point it rained straight for 30+ hours. So taking a big tarp at the last minute was a great decision (thanks Oliver).

Go do it - its a good trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

WE used Nootka air and flew into Louie bay. I think it ran around $130 each for 5 of us. You want a lower tide mid day so you can stay on the beach as much as possible. Plan your exit to catch the Uchuck ferry at Friendly Cove. Book your tickets in advance for the ferry.Nootka air can tell you how much a person to cross the native land at Friendly cove. WE had 4 nights on the trail and 2 nights in friendly cove. Awesome trip. Gold River is your car depot.
I'd do it again for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Ed
Headed for the Mountains

you can check out my report under the stories section as well. Sharon is correct though about the tides. Try to pick a time based on tide tables in some week of August. There is now cabims at friendly cove which is the last day of the trail and if you have been in the rain it may be a good option for the last night.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

There is never a bad time on the Nootka, I luv the place. The rain can present some challenges on the inland pieces because of all the wet brush but, hey, its the west coast, you're going to get wet and muddy. May is probably more likely to be wetter but I've had rain there in July as well. I've hiked the trail a couple of different ways, doing yo-yo trips all the time. Once I paddled my kayak in from Tahsis to Nuchatlitz/Tongue Pt. and hiked down and back. Another trip I paddled from Cougar Creek out to Friendly Cove then yoyod up the coast, then another time took the Uchuck out and yoyod. Got rained a bit two out of the three trips. Had a wolf go by the tent at Calvin creek. I agree with the tide choice, pick a moon cycle where you will have lots of beach during the day. On the last trip I saw 9 bears in one day, all on the beach. I got caught by one of the bears at high tide and felt it prudent to go up a spruce and let the big guy pass. I usually allowed 3 days for each way. The trail up to the lake from which Calvin Creek originates seems to be growing over. Noone I know has made it in there. Anyway, a great hike, and there could be a glass ball float up there...

Looks like $45 to cross "the res" as of June, 2007. The fee includes "complimentary camping and use of the facilities". hmmm, don't remember any facilities other than a stinky portapotty and some rotten tables. I guess for me, since I'm a cheap sob, I would probably paddle in from Tahsis again and yoyo. I don't like paying anyone just to tread lightly on some dirt.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, biking,drumming building trails.

great info, thanks folks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

You can not hike the Nootka trail until early summer depending on the amount of snowfall, the creeks become rivers in the spring unless you can swim at 20 knots good luck
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boardwalker

Just looking for a bit of info on the nootka island trail.
whens the best time to do it? Where to start and finish, transportation, boat or plane and how much, and is it a worthwhile hike ive heard good things about it, looking forward to philip stones
write up on it, does anyone know when exactly its out, thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM

I just did Nootka last summer, it was amazing...I've heard from a number of info sources (and hikers we met along the trail) and August/Sept is often viewed as the best time to hike the trail, since there is a better chance you'll have good weather...plus, the later in Aug you so, the more ripe the blackberry bushes will be when you reach Yuquot (there is nothing like feasting on blackberries after 5 days of hiking). On the otherhand, we heard from friends who hiked the week before us that the local Nation had a huge festival, and they were invited to participate and feast on salmon and other traditional recipes and goodies...might also be worth thinking about.

We took five nights on the trail, which was more than enough, you could easily do it it four, but some groups prefer to spend two nights at Calvin Falls. Remember that if you're timing your trip with the aim of taking the MV Uchuck ferry out, the trail will be much busier, since that will be what others are planning as well. We had a good sized group, and it ended up being almost the same price to fly both in and out with Air Nootka, as it would have been to fly in and take the Uchuck out, plus it was much much faster. Goodluck!!

ps. if you are interested in booking the cabins at Jewitt Lake - you should book well in advance, since it's my understanding from speaking with the locals last summer that they book up early!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page