Matrix composition - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Matrix composition

Quick tip on technique I am using lately to large extent when wanting to capture more than ordinary frame can accommodate. Everyone knows about pano stitching, but why limit yourself to single row? Simply lock exposure somewhere in the middle of scene you want to capture, then shoot grid or matrix. For instance both images here are 3x3

Click image for larger version

Name:	forebaymatrix.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	285932

Name:	halingwhitemanmatrix.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	285930

Key is to have large overlap, so that stitching software can do better job. After locking exposure I usually move down - right - up - right - down pattern, i.e for photos above shot last afternoon:

1 6 7
2 5 8
3 4 9

Additional benefit you achieve with this technique is "super-resolution". It results with larger file size which is understandable, but details are very sharp on pixel level because stitching software has more data to work with. Pros do this with tripod, but I find handheld also works; technique will also help with camera shake in case of low exposure time.

Not sure how many photographers are left on CT, but hopefully someone will find this interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 07:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nice photos. What software are you using for stitching? I've tried a couple of free programs but after saving the photos, the resolution is reduced to less than 1 MB. I found that if I took a fisheye shot and cropped the photo, it looks similar to a pano.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Nice photos. What software are you using for stitching? I've tried a couple of free programs but after saving the photos, the resolution is reduced to less than 1 MB. I found that if I took a fisheye shot and cropped the photo, it looks similar to a pano.

Once again, I strongly suggest Photoshop to you. Stitching and all kind of digital manipulations are a breeze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Interesting. Not being a Photoshop user I have been using a program called Autostitch but I haven't tried it with more than one row of photos.

There is a whole world of spherical photos that I'm reading about as well. My drone has a panorama photos function that takes a bunch of photos while the drone rotates. The challenge is presenting the finished product in a nice format.

Autostitch photo:

Name:	pano11.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	285934
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2021, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post

Autostitch photo:

I don't know why all these stitching programs end with uneven edges; cropping is easy, but often I'd like something I know was in one of images but program just decided to cut it out. In Photoshop there are ways to remedy this (Content aware fill and Clone stamp) but it takes time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page