LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Summit Master

Happy New Year and looking forward to enjoy more of your photography in 2021
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Happy New Year and looking forward to enjoy more of your photography in 2021
Same to you. Although we differ in our photography, I still enjoy looking at your photos.
post #108 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

2021 Photographs (Part I)

This year turned out to be a pretty good year for landscape photography except for the sunny dry spell during the summer months. When September & October arrived, the photographic opportunity increased as unsettled weather arrived.
I have resorted to manual focusing all of my shots and determining the exposure through Live View. I found that I can manual focus more accurately than estimating hyperfocal distance however it does take time and uses more battery power when the Live View is used. Thus, even though I may take only 30 shots (or less) on a trip, the battery charge can drop by as much as 20 to 50%, especially during winter, so I bring a spare battery in case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	290256
Waterfall in winter
Nikon D800, iso 400, f13, 1/6 sec, 0.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 23 mm
Polarizing filter
I've taken shots of this waterfall before without the ice and snow. This waterfall lies in a small canyon which I discovered last year and I had waited for a period of cold weather, which usually happens in February, before visiting it. At one point, there was too much snow & slippery conditions to head down into the canyon so I had to come back when most was gone. I think I timed it right without the waterfall being completely frozen over and with just enough ice and snow around.

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	290258
Beaver pond reflection, Thompson Park
Nikon D800, iso 280, f16, 1/15 sec, -0.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 25 mm
2 stop ND grad filter (soft)
I was hoping for a nice sunrise shot but it didn't quite happen but I'm still satisfied with the nice cloud reflection. I usually visit here during winter when the days are shorter and the gate to the parking area is open before sunrise. During late spring, the sun is already up before the gate is open. The pond created by the beaver dam makes it possible to walk along it and photograph from the middle of the pond.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	729.7 KB
ID:	290260
Seven Sisters Trail, Cultus Lake Park
Nikon D800, iso 200, f16, 1/3 sec, -1.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 24 mm
Polarizing filter
I waited for the sunlight to be more subdued by a passing cloud. There is enough light to allow in the background to cause separation of the trees and greater depth to the photo. Since I had to step off trail to photograph this, I think a zoom lens with longer focal length would be more valuable for forest shots.

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	701.2 KB
ID:	290262
Sunlit Forest, Post Creek Trail, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 200, f13, 1/8 sec, -1.00 ev
Polarizing filter
Although the sunlight can produce harsh lighting, this is an example where I found the light to be useful as it really separates the trees from the surrounding background. I also liked the reflected light onto the tree trunks. I exposed for the highlights and used the polarizing filter to reduce the reflections. I always photograph in the morning because, generally speaking, the wind is more calm. Even photographs like this, the shutter speed was only 1/8 sec.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	290264
Pond, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 140, f16, 1/3 sec, -0.67 ev
18 – 35 mm Nikkor lens @ 18 mm
Polarizing filter
There are 15 ponds in Chilliwack Valley that I know about but most are filled with debris and not too appealing. I had photographed here during winter but I prefer the spring photograph since there is more greenery from the leaves on trees and floating aquatic vegetation. This is one of the more beautiful ponds that I have come across.

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	290266
Water patterns on Cultus Lake
Nikon D90, iso 200, f16, 1/90 sec, -1.00 ev
Nikon 16 to 85 mm @ 85 mm
Polarizing filter
I don't make it a habit of visiting Cultus Lake since it is highly popular and crowded; not a place where one can relax peacefully. There isn't much as far as photographing landscapes go but I often look beyond that & search for abstract designs. There was blue sky and snow on the mountain in the background and water movement on the lake caused patterns of reflection of the sky and snow to move about. The dark top layer is the darker lower part of the mountain reflection while the lower layer of the photo is closer to the shore of the lake. I like the layered pattern of different tones.

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	290268
Hidden waterfall, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 400, f16, 1/3 sec, 0.33 ev
Polarizing filter
Here is a nice small waterfall I discovered along the same creek as the other falls. At first, I didn't like the fallen log laying there and it was too heavy to move out of the way. Now, I think it adds to the photograph when you visualize it as an oblique line pointing towards the falls. So, in a sense, it draws your eyes into the photograph. The underlying rocks breaks up the flow of water into nice patterns.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	704.7 KB
ID:	290270
Glacier Lilies, Trophy meadows, Wells Gray Park
Nikon D800, f22, 1/45, -1.00 ev
18 – 35 mm Nikkor lens @ 35 mm
Whenever I photograph the flowers at Trophy meadows, I have the tripod extended to full height. For this shot, I lowered the tripod to half its heights and got a little closer to the flowers in front. I concentrated on a section of the meadows with the most flowers and I manual focused via Live View & used a greater depth of field. I would have liked to focus stack but there was some wind so I needed to take one shot. The depth of field was enough to get the field of flowers in focus except for some loss of sharpness in the background trees however I wasn't worried about that.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	601.4 KB
ID:	290272
A raging creek
Nikon D800, iso 200, f11, 1/6 sec, -0.33 ev
Polarizing filter
I explored up a creek off the Trans Canada Trail until I came across these mossy boulders. I have photographed here once before on a cloudy day but I prefer this shot of the sunlight. The wind was blowing so I used a shallower depth of field than what I normally use. By using 1/6 sec, it shows the turbulent movement of water better than if I were to use a slower shutter speed. This is one instance where the sunlight does provide some depth to the photo.

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	290274
Two waterfalls, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 400, f16, ½ sec, 0.00 ev
18 – 35 mm Nikkor lens @ 24 mm
Polarizing filter
This is a unique view of two waterfalls. When I was in the canyon, I scrambled up the side of another small waterfall just to see what was above it. I managed to set up my tripod in the water and photograph the two falls. I took several shots but the ½ sec exposure works best as it shows enough turbulence in the creek below the fall.

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	724.0 KB
ID:	290276
Devil's club, TCT, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 2 sec, -0.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 19 mm
Polarizing filter
These Devil's club were 6 feet tall up on an embankment. It was neat to photograph them from the underside. This makes the leaves stand out due to being back-lit from the reflected light. The only way to get them into sharp focus was to do so manually using Live View. I tried excluding most of the sky since it would have been visually distracting and seen as white blotches between the leaves.

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	290278
Lower Pierce Lake
Nikon D800, iso 140, f16, 1/30 sec, -1.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 20 mm
Manual focus through Live View
I like to plan my day with the weather being a mixture of sun and clouds. This was an early morning shot with some light shining through the clouds. In general, early morning is when the winds are most calm to give a nice reflection otherwise the photograph wouldn't have looked that great since there is a lack of good foreground. I liked the way the clouds fill in the negative space where the mountain ridge dips.

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	672.8 KB
ID:	290280
Old growth forest, Chilliwack River Ecological Reserve
Nikon D800, iso 400, f16, 1.5 sec, -0.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 35 mm
Manual focus through Live View.
The ecological reserve is in the shadow of the valley and light is quite dim for photographing in the early morning so a calm day with little wind is required for slow shutter speeds. Some of the bigger trees in the reserve are hard to photograph depending on where they stand because the background is against patches of sky which shows up as blotches of light amongst the dark foliage. I prefer to exclude any distracting sky so I shot this photo of diffuse light entering the forest and reflecting off the tree trunks.
Tip: Photograph early in the morning (in summer) if the day is sunny as it takes a while for the sun to rise and light up the forest. Once the light enters the forest, it shows up a blotches of bright light on the trees.

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	290282
Upper Pierce Lake
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/30 sec, 0.00 ev
Manual focus through Live View
I was glad the clouds were there because the sun would have been directly ahead & caused a lot of lens flare and put the mountains in dark shadow. Too often there is this urge to include the entire lake but I found this viewpoint gives the best mountain views in terms of shape and form. I also had arrived early enough that the wind was quite calm. Most of the time, checking the histogram through Live View gets the exposure just right. The only downside to hiking here is the open field, after the lower lake, which has cow parsnips right along the narrow trail. This plant has a phototoxic sap which causes the skin to burn when exposed to the sun.

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	290284
Mt Outram hike
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/90 sec, -1.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 22 mm
Manual focus & exposure done through Live View
For this shot, I traversed the talus slope to the west and below the mountain peak. I saw that the south slopes of Outram is composed of gullies and fractured boulders ready to topple. I like the drifting clouds and pockets of light on the mountains.

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	290286
Mt Outram
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/90 sec, 0.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 18 mm
Manual focus & exposure done through Live View
During my previous hike here, the weather was sunny and hot & the lighting was harsh thus I wasn't satisfied with my photographs. Three weeks later, I hiked the trail again during unsettled weather. I kind of visualized what kind of photographs I might get. The clouds were constantly drifting up the north side of the mountain. I took nine different shots and settled on this one.

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	290288
Goat Ridge, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 140, f16, 1/90 sec, -0.67 ev
I was preparing myself to hike to Goat Peak but since the weather looked favorable for photography I stopped at this point and waited for the right conditions. I liked the way the moving clouds are to one side of the high ridge and soft light on the opposite side. The clouds eventually cleared with bright sun. For me, it's not all about getting to a destination but trying to get a good photograph along the way.

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	290290
Goat Ridge, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/60 sec, -0.33 ev
The times that I've hiked here the weather was either a blue sky day or overcast. This time, it was a mixture of sun and clouds. I waited until some of the clouds had moved away from Williams Peak before taking the shot. There wasn't too much contrast between the shadows and sunlit areas as the sun was not too harsh and still low in the sky.

Name:	19.jpg
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	290292
Chilliwack Lake from Flora Lake Trail
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/15 sec, -1.33 ev
I like the soft side lighting on the mountain. This was taken in October when the sun takes a while to rise. The ferns have turned a golden color and provides some nice contrast with the darker green. I also liked the cloud layer over the lake.

Name:	20.jpg
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	290294
Mt. Webb scenery, Radium Lake Trail
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 26 mm
I hiked in the dark so I can get up to the top of Mt. Webb when the sun was still at a low angle. Initially, there was a lot of drifting clouds which obscured the peak but as the morning wore on most of the clouds dissipated with thicker clouds below me. I never did see the entire Chilliwack Lake but to the south Rexford was clear. It was only when clouds started drifting by that I took this shot. Sometimes, it's a habit to go too wide and include more scenery in like the bulk of Mt. Macdonald but this would have made the image to 'heavy' on the left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

2021 Photographs (Part II)

Name:	21.jpg
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	290296
Smoke filled valley from Williams Ridge
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/30 sec, -1.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 29 mm
Polarizing filter
Manual focused through Live View
Exposure via histogram through Live View
The day turned out to be sunny and I could smell the smoke on the hike up. The forest fire smoke originates from the fire in Washington close to the border near Depot Creek. When I reached the end of the ridge I saw that the smoke was slowly dissipating even though there wasn't much wind. I'm glad I started out at 5 am otherwise I would have missed this nice visual effect. This was the only good shot I took that day. During summer, the sun is directly ahead in the morning and the lighting is harsh with Williams Peak in shadow. Not an ideal time for photos

Name:	22.jpg
Size:	684.2 KB
ID:	290298
Lindeman Lake from Goat Ridge
Nikon D800, iso 100, 1/90 sec, -3.00 ev
Sigma 15 mm 1:2.8 D EX fisheye
Sometimes I need to bring my fisheye lens to encompass a greater portion of the landscape than what my wide-angle lens can capture. With a fisheye, in order to avoid too much curvature, the horizon should be about center of the photo which means not pointing the camera down too much but rather more upwards but this includes too much sky. Thus, the curvature of field wasn't too great. I corrected some distortion and cropped the photo so its hard to tell if this was a fisheye shot.

Name:	23.jpg
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	290300
Mt. Lindeman & Mt. MacDonald from Mt. Webb
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/45 sec, -0.67 ev
It's always a challenge to get up to a destination without having the clouds dissipate too soon. At 10:45 am, the clouds still hung around until about 30 minutes later it started breaking up. The way I positioned the camera was to include the boulders in the foreground which sweeps along to Mt. Lindeman in a horseshoe shape.

Name:	24.jpg
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	290302
Williams Peak
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/60 sec, 0.67 ev
2 stop ND Grad filter (soft)
I redid this hike later in the year (Oct) when the weather was more unsettled. Although the low clouds never really did clear for views of Chilliwack Lake, I came here to photograph Williams Peak. I took quite a few different photographs, some clear and some with the clouds drifting around the peak but this is one of my favorite. The clouds add a mysterious and ghostly attribute to the photo. The sunlight was diffuse and produced a soft light on the snow. It would be a challenge to take a better shot than this next time.

Name:	25.jpg
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	290304
Williams Peak
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/45 sec, 0.33 ev
2 stop ND Grad filter (soft)
I'm glad it snowed because it showed the contrast in seasons (fall & winter). There is also contrast between warm and cool colors. The ridge on the left and boulders can be used as leading lines towards the peak. That's how I sometimes compose my photos. I was also careful where I stepped so my footprints wouldn't be in the photo.

Name:	26.jpg
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	290306
Mt Webb, Radium Lake Trail
Nikon D800, iso 140, f16, 1/20 sec, -0.67 ev
I had to redo this hike because the first time I hiked up to the ridge, the light was dull and the photo of Mt Webb was not interesting. On this particular day, there was drifting clouds and as I was hiking up to the ridge, clouds started drifting across the mountain. I didn't want the mountain to be too obscured so I'm quite happy with this shot.

Name:	27.jpg
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	290308
Lindeman Lake
Nikon D800 iso 100, f16, 1/15 sec, -1.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 26 mm
I don't usually take a shot from south to north because of the way the mountain ridges dip towards the center and there is a big gap of sky. However, in this case, the clouds help fill in the space. I was lucky the water was calm since most of the time a breeze is present. The sun was a bit subdued behind a thin cloud layer thus the lighting wasn't too intense.

Name:	28.jpg
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	290310
Amanita Muscaria (fly agaric)
Nikon D90 iso 200, f16, 3 sec, 0.50 ev
Nikon 16 to 85 mm @ 52 mm
Polarizing filter
I came across these mushrooms in mid-October and there was about 15 of them in various growth stages. Liked the fact that there was a cluster of three in different stages of growth. I read that the white warts can be washed away when it rains and the red cap can fade under the same circumstances. I have yet to come across one red specimen covered in white warts. Since they appear in fall, that is when the rain arrives. I found that I can get away without using a macros lens instead a zoom lens works well as long as the specimen isn't too small.

Name:	29.jpg
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	290312
Lindeman Lake from Goat Ridge
Nikon D800 iso 100, f16, 1/60 sec, 0.33 ev
It's not often that I get to hike this steep trail when it's snow covered but the views are sure different with snow. The brief moment of sunlight makes a big difference in providing nice and subtle contrast between the shaded areas. This is one of the few times that I wished I had a wider angle lens; 18 mm on a full-frame camera isn't wide enough for many of the views on this trail.

Name:	30.jpg
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	290314
Trans Canada Trail, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D90 iso 200, f16, 1/3 sec, -2.00 ev
Nikon 16 to 85 mm @ 34 mm
Polarizing filter
What drew me to this section of the forest was the remnant fall colors mixed in with the muted brown and the sunlight in the background which balances out with the lighter foreground. This Nikkor lens is quite an older model but I noticed that it controls chromatic aberration quite well.

Name:	31.jpg
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	290316
Border Peaks from Elk Mountain
Nikon D800, f16, 1/90 sec, -0.67
I hiked past Elk Mtn & towards Thurston and I realized later that the drifting clouds hung around to the east while it eventually cleared at Elk Mtn. This was the only good break in the clouds which allowed some views of the mountain across the way and it didn't last long so it pays to stay in one spot & get ready for a shot. In terms of composition, the cloud can be seen as an oblique line which adds a sense of action to the photo.

Name:	32.jpg
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	290318
Mushrooms, Post Creek Trail
Nikon D90 iso 200, f11, 1.5 sec, -0.50 ev
Nikon 16 to 85 mm @ 34 mm
Polarizing filter
I focus stacked two shots to get all the mushrooms in focus. What made this shot easy was that the mushrooms were growing on a dead fallen tree and not at ground level. This made taking the shot easy and the background bokeh was quite good. What also makes this mushrooms stand out is they were wet from rain. For most mushroom shots, I can get by using a zoom lens so one does not need a special macro lens.

Name:	33.jpg
Size:	516.1 KB
ID:	290320
Chilliwack Lake from south of Flora Lake Trail
Nikon D800 iso 200, f16, 1/45 sec, 1.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 28 mm
One of the few times where I exerted myself just to get to a certain viewpoint before the clouds dissipate. I purposely sought out and framed the mountains with these dead snags.

Name:	34.jpg
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	290322
Moss-covered tree trunks, Trans Canada Trail
Nikon D800 iso 280, f11, 1/3 sec, -0.33 ev
Nikkor 28 mm 1:2.8 D prime lens
Polarizing filter
There are quite a few of these moss-covered tree trunks scattered throughout the valley but they are difficult to photograph. I wanted to fill the entire frame and its difficult to find a cluster of them close together. Initially, I had to cut away at some of the fallen branches which would have been quite distracting. The Nikkor 28 mm is an old prime lens which was first sold in 1994. I think I bought mine from ebay years ago. It's small and lightweight but still takes pretty good photos and the chromatic aberration is minimal. Because the angle of view is not that wide and its a fixed prime, it is suitable for forest photos where space is required to move the camera around so that the subject fits in the viewfinder.

Name:	35.jpg
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	290324
An unnamed, hidden creek in Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D800, iso 200, f16, 0.67 sec, 0.00 ev
Polarizing filter
What I like about this shot is the relative transparency of the water in places so that one can see the bedrock. It almost appears as if the water is floating on top.

Name:	36.jpg
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	290326
Cloud reflection on Chilliwack Lake
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 21 mm
The of the rare times when the waters of Chilliwack Lake is calm. It just happened that the clouds built up along the mountain tops. This is one time when I took advantage of a blue-sky day.

Name:	37.jpg
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	290328
Candle Creek Falls, Clearwater Valley
Nikon D800, iso 200, f16, 0.67 sec, 0.00 ev
Polarizing filter
When I arrived, the falls was in the shadow of the canyon and the sun hadn't come around yet. I didn't have time to scout the area ahead of time and it was my first visit to this waterfall. I took a series of photos over a four hour period; in the subdued light before the sun appeared, after the sun appeared, and with different perspectives of the falls. I preferred this photo of the falls framed by trees and shafts of light. Sometimes it pays to hang around and not be in a rush to move on.

Name:	38.jpg
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	290330
Williams Ridge Hike
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 1/90 sec, 0.00 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 22 mm
2 stop ND Grad filter soft
There is one thing I like is a layer of floating clouds to give a nice visual effect. The clouds just cleared enough to give a glimpse of the mountain top then rose high without clearing up so I managed to get only one shot. Such is the advantage of hauling a tripod everywhere I go. With the camera set up already, I just waited around until the opportunity came.

Name:	39.jpg
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	290332
Teapot creek, Cultus lake park
Nikon D800, iso 100, f16, 3 sec, -0.33 ev
Polarizing filter
A small waterfall that I have photographed before when there was no snow however I didn't like the photo that much so when I returned after a light snowfall I took this shot. I prefer the light and dark contrast. The snow had also covered up a lot of unsightly debris. The chromatic aberration is quite bad in certain areas of the photo so I had to selectively use different degrees of defringing so as to not affect other areas.

Name:	40.jpg
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	290334
Moss-covered forest, Cultus lake park
Nikon D800, iso 200, f13, 1.5 sec, -0.67 ev
Nikkor 18 – 35 mm lens @ 30 mm
Polarizing filter
Possibly one of my favorite forest shots because of all the moss-covered trees so close together. I used the branches of the tree limbs as a frame and slightly cropped the photo for a better fit.
martin and zeljkok like this.
post #110 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 06:09 PM
Summit Master

Really nice. I missed your excellent photo posts. Great variety, from distant landscapes, waterfalls/forests to close-up 'shrooms!

My 3 fav pics of 2021:

[August: 'selfie' at Pulsatilla Pass on Sawback Trail in Banff, looking down to Pulsatilla Lake. Image to be featured in upcoming edition of Canadian Rockies Trail Guide book]

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 1.59.23 PM.png
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	290336
[November: "Path to Afterlife" - hikers in white bright light exiting tunnel on historic Hoover Dam Railroad Trail, Nevada]

[December: Twin Towers of Courthouse Butte Rock Formations reflected in shallow water on Slickrock Trail in Sedona]

Happy New Year and Happy Shooting!
post #111 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
My 3 fav pics of 2021:
Nice Shots!!! Your last photo reminds me of the time I spent in Utah.
I hope you have opportunities for capturing some great photographs this year.
zeljkok likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page