Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, climbing, horses

These are all so beautiful! Wow please keep sharing
solo75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Macro photography is a branch of photography that I have been doing for some time and really enjoy it. I find it even more challenging than landscape since a very slight breeze, subject movement, shallow depth of field and camera shake all make it difficult to photograph.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilliwack valley june 6 2019_DSC3691.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	267156
Snail, Trans Canada Trail (TCT) Chilliwack Valley.
Nikon D800, iso 800, f16, 1/6 sec, 180 mm
The lens I used was a Tamron 180 mm 1:1 macro. I like the longer focal length which provides a greater working distance to the subject than a 60 mm macro would give. The drawback is that the lens weighs 2 lbs therefore has to be tripod mounted since there is no vibration reduction.
Single raw photo processed with ACDSee Pro 8. Cleaned up a bit of noise and sharpened using Focus Magic. I also used a polarizing filter to reduce some glare off the shell and the small aperture required me to boost up the iso. I also use either Exposure Delay mode or Mirror Lockup to reduce lens and mirror vibration.
I had previously come across a snail on a fallen tree but it was mostly retracted into its shell and motionless. Ten days later I went back to see if the snail was still around and to my surprise it was still there but had moved about 6 feet along the tree. This time it's head was visible as it moved slowly but its tentacles ( 2 upper with eyes and 2 lower) were mostly retracted since it was aware of my presence so I waited about 30 minutes when they were extended. The most important part to focus is the head rather than the shell and this applies to other subjects.

Name:	Chilliwack valley may 25 2019  14-03-11 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	267158
Water droplets on buttercup, TCT, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D90, iso 250, f11, ˝ sec, 180 mm
Single raw photo processed with ACDSee Pro 8
Despite the Tamron lens suited for Fx camera, it works perfectly well on Dx bodies. Here, I used exposure delay mode and manual focus which I find easier than auto.
Photographing things in threes makes for better composition; the Rule of Odds makes the image more visually appealing.

Name:	Chilliwack valley may 30 2019_DSC0052.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	562.8 KB
ID:	267160
Mushrooms, Chilliwack Valley
Nikon D90, iso 250, f25, 2.5 sec, 180 mm
For this shot, I waited for the sun to filter through the trees otherwise the image would have appeared more flat. I just wish the focusing ring on the Tamron wasn't too stiff since it would be easier to focus stack without causing lens movement. At f25, lens diffraction is certainly a problem if cropped to 100% but not too noticeable otherwise. However, I sharpened the image.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 AM
Summit Master

Very nice; absolutely love the snail!
Interesting, still aperture so low even if you don't need depth of field. I happily shoot these ~f 6.3 or higher

Macrophotography is not that straightforward as many think. I don't shoot many of these, but on occasion am happy when it turns right. Here is shot made today @ Sooke potholes Provincial Park:

Name:	sookeflower1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	267204

What I am happy is how sharp details turned out to be; here is 100%

Name:	sookeflower1zoomcrop.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	267206

Check out the bugs!! I didn't even know they were there when taking a photo, so small. F 5.6, ISO 80, 1/320 sec exposure, handheld. Minor retouching only in CS6 (color, contrast, bit of extra exposure on leafs and petals only via layer masks). Camera - little Sony Rx100 which is just phenomenal, so small and practical and despite small sensor compared to full-frame SLR is capable producing quality shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I believe the RX100 has macro capabilities which makes it easy to take photos. The lens I use is a specialty lens which gives a 1:1 life size shot which I have used for waterdroplets. I don't know what macro setting I used for the snail; could be 1:3. The disadvantage of the lens is the extreme shallow depth of field the closer one shoots to 1:1 thus requiring a small aperture. I took quite a few shots of the snail with different apertures (f8,11,16) and at f8 the snail shell is blurred and even at f16 the top of the shell is blurred at 100%.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I know nuthin' about photography but I find this thread really interesting and informative. Please keep it going.
solo75 likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 06-11-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: missed word
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I left my ND Grad filters at home and relied on the dynamic range of the camera instead. In this case, I used Live View and looked at the histogram and exposed to the right as far as possible without blowing out the highlights (sky and clouds). The resulting image for the raw file was quite dark but with the D800 there was a lot of detail retained after post-processing however even at iso 200 there was some noise which had to be cleaned up.
Ross Lake on the Canadian side is non-existent at the moment which makes it easier to take photographs. Only the narrow Skagit River runs through the barren landscape but the problem with this type of landscape is the difficulty of finding nice foreground composition. Therefore, I had scouted the area for any remnant pools of water to be used to reflect the mountains and clouds. For the most part, reflections give a nicely balanced photograph.

Name:	Ross Lake june 12 2019_DSC3822.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	267388
Dawn at Ross Lake
Nikon D800, iso 200, f11, 1/3 sec @ 35 mm
I liked the way this channel leads the eye into the photo. I was lucky to have some clouds in the sky over the mountains. The color didn't last too long as the sun must have faded behind the clouds to the east.

Name:	Ross Lake june 11 2019_DSC3745.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	575.3 KB
ID:	267390
Sunrise at Ross Lake
Nikon D800, iso 200, f13, 1/8 sec @35 mm
This shot was taken on another day at a different location when the sky was clear and the sun hit the mountain peak. The light didn't last long as clouds to the east must have obscured the sun. Such is the reason to be on location and have the camera already setup before the sun rose.

Name:	Ross Lake june 11 2019_DSC3748.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	267392
Mt. Hozameen
Nikon D800, iso 200, f16, 1/6 sec @35 mm
Manual focus with Live View & histogram exposed to the right.
For this simple composition, I saw the different layers of colors starting from the foreground to background.
martin and xj6response like this.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

I have been hiking down into the canyon of Spahats Falls in Wells Gray Park since the mid 1980's. During late summer when the volume of water is less, I usually make my way to the plunge pool near the base of the falls and even then the spray gets me soaked.

Name:	Wells Gray june 19 2019_DSC4036.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	657.2 KB
ID:	267634
Nikon D800, iso Lo1 (50), f16, 1 sec @ 29 mm
Manually focused, Polarizing filter
The sun's rays does reach down into the canyon. I have taken quite a few shots but prefer this one with some light filtering into the canyon. Since the light is not too harsh, it adds some contrast and depth to the photo. I like this perspective of Spahats Falls rather than from the viewing platform above.
treord8 likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Solo you are posting some truly beautiful and remarkable pictures. I will need to assess and see what I can do more with my camera. Macro settings to get in those very close shots is something I need to figure out.

K
solo75 likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I have been hiking down into the canyon of Spahats Falls in Wells Gray Park since the mid 1980's. During late summer when the volume of water is less, I usually make my way to the plunge pool near the base of the falls and even then the spray gets me soaked.

Attachment 267634
Nikon D800, iso Lo1 (50), f16, 1 sec @ 29 mm
Manually focused, Polarizing filter
The sun's rays does reach down into the canyon. I have taken quite a few shots but prefer this one with some light filtering into the canyon. Since the light is not too harsh, it adds some contrast and depth to the photo. I like this perspective of Spahats Falls rather than from the viewing platform above.

Great pro shot of Spahat Falls. I've been just to tourist overlook, didn't even know there was way down (where does it start?).

I did similar shot few months ago in Costa Rica, Arenal National Park

But yours is way better. There were too many people around, mid-day so not so good light, and I had only gorilla tripod (which doesn't even support SLR with lens). I find these kind of shots very satisfying, but it needs patience and time, something you don't have when traveling in foreign country.

The only "criticism" (taken very conditionally) was that Spahat shot might need a bit more gama in post-processing. But then it also might make the frame too dark. I'd probably play with selective HDR toning via layer masks to see if I can improve something in that sense, but not sure it would work or that it's worth in the first place.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I've been just to tourist overlook, didn't even know there was way down (where does it start?).
Past the platform along the chain link fence until you see two warning signs about steep drop offs with no fence. There are a couple of areas of exposure and the path descends steeply. There is a roped section to get down to the creek before heading towards the falls. Nothing you can't handle. Perhaps the most precarious part of the hike is rock fall from above. The volcanic rock is quite unstable and the place is littered with rocks in places.

Quote:
The only "criticism" (taken very conditionally) was that Spahat shot might need a bit more gama in post-processing. But then it also might make the frame too dark. I'd probably play with selective HDR toning via layer masks to see if I can improve something in that sense, but not sure it would work or that it's worth in the first place.
I am thinking of buying Luminar 3 software for photo editing. It's more updated than what I am using with ACDSee Pro and you only pay once unlike PhotoShop. Luminar has the ability to use layers and mask. One major complaint about ACDSee is their repair function sucks badly. There is another similar photo of Spahats which I had taken but it has two water drop smudges in the photo which was due to drifting spray. The software I use does a poor job of erasing it.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Summit Master

Ron: pls don't pay for image editing software when there are other options. You need it for personal use, not commercially. That's all I can say.

PS has great tools btw for that water smudge problem; spot remover, content aware fill and clone stamp are some of them. I am able to fix some pretty bad solar flare if patient enough.

(Thx for Spahat tip, will remember next time I am in the area)
post #27 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

One advantage of visiting the same place throughout the year is to observe the change of seasons and try for better and different photographs. When I go out to places, my main objective is to try and find good compositions and to come away with at least one good photograph on my outings. After all, good photographs are something to cherish.

Name:	Flora Lake trail june 25 2019_DSC0024.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	715.0 KB
ID:	267856
Nikon D90, iso 200, f16, 1/50 sec, 11 – 16 mm Tokina lens @ 11 mm.
A single raw shot processed with ACDSee Pro 8
Manual focused. Reduced some noise and applied sharpening.
Compared to my previous photo of Chilliwack Lake from the Flora Lake Trail, the wildflowers really adds a lot of depth to this photo. Most of the wildflowers grow in bunches along certain parts of the trail. Trying to find a good cluster of flowers along with a clear shot of the lake proved difficult. There was lots of areas where the flowers grew in abundance but trees partially obstructed some of the views. The other difficulty is trying to fit the flowers and background mountains in the frame. Even the super wide-angle lens couldn't quite accommodate all of the foreground flowers. I also took a vertical composition which included a lot more foreground paintbrushes but the left side of the lake almost gets cut off. I guess I could have taken a number of shots to produce a panoramic photo but there was a slight breeze at times and there would be a lot of ghosting, in the final image, when the photos are merged.
What I liked about the photo is the warm tones contrasting with the blue cooler tones. What could have made the photo better? Although there are things beyond my control, it would be nice if there was more flowers in the right foreground to balance out the photo and more fluffy clouds in the sky rather than the single cloud obscuring Mt Webb.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Summit Master

That's really a great photo. As you said, flowers really add to the scene and kinda lead you from foreground to background.

It is really great that you share these, specially technical details. It is also a shame that nobody comments on it because it would be fantastic to have technical discussion and learn something. CT used to have some terrific photographers at a time.

Thanks for posting these; I really enjoy it for what it's worth.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
It is also a shame that nobody comments on it because it would be fantastic to have technical discussion and learn something. CT used to have some terrific photographers at a time.
Yes, too bad that more people wasn't interested in photography as we can learn from each other. Since everyone photographs while hiking, it would be interesting for serious amateurs to mention their thought process when taking photos. But I wonder how my photographs actually appear on other people's monitor, when viewing this website, since they are probably calibrated differently.

By the way, I do appreciate your feedback at times.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That is a stunning beauty of Chilliwack Lake and those flowers. And your macro shots are awesome and very professional looking.

I could learn a lot from you.

K
solo75 likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page