Photographing with a Narrative - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Photographing with a Narrative

Alamy is UK Stock agency; far more serious in terms of photography than well known North American micro-stock sites (Shutterstock, iStock, etc.) They regularly publish blogs with different topics I find super interesting; I've learned a lot by reading these since I signed up as contributor).

Here is latest well worth sharing:
http://www.alamy.com/blog/photographing-a-narrative

(In particular, have a look at that "Kenya's last rhinos" photo)
guntis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Thanks for sharing this. Let's face it, most of us are not professional photographers, although I do admire those amongst us with the skills.

Good use of words and images tell engaging stories. This article provides some good advice. Does it need to be a polished product on a forum? No, of course not, but even quick trip reports can be effective.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Agreed. For CT trip reports it doesn't really matter as focus is on overall information & photos are just to illustrate, not dazzle. But photography is fascinating world. It has changed so much in digital era of "smartphone photographers". But just having technical equipment and post-processing abilities won't make a good photo; there is so much more to it. I always thought good photo is one that makes you stop and wonder; stirs emotion and tells a story --- which is along the lines of that blog just explained on professional level.

I will put up that rhino photo:

This just blows me away. Last known male Northern white rhino, at Ol Pejeta Conservancy in northern Kenya. If you look technically you could make remarks -- is it a bit overexposed? Maybe a bit washed out? Needs more contrast? Horizon line skewed? More color? Blah, blah... none of this matters; it is the story photo tells. "Look what we did. First we exterminated them, now we are guarding with guns the last one". Fascinating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Such a cool image. Tells a pretty sad story unfortunately. Thanks for telling us about Alamy, I've never heard of it before.

I hear Testogen works!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

You are welcome. Alamy is quite heavy on Editorial content. Images cost more, and as such QA has higher standards than above mentioned micro-stock sites. They are also more fair to their contributors as split is 50:50 -- where as on micro-stock sites like iStock you get only 15%. It is not easy to make Alamy sale though. I like their photography blogs & always learn something new.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Hittin' the Trails

This is a great piece of art, I love it

My Services: Web Development Chicago, Mobile App Development Chicago, Software Development Chicago, Web Design Chicago,sites like primewire, games like second life,

Last edited by Oliviadavid; 03-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page