Recommend a camera? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default Recommend a camera?

This question might be better suited for an actual photography site but I thought I'd ask. Can anyone recommend a good compact camera with at least a 20x optical zoom? I'm looking for something other than my GoPro to throw in the belt pocket of my pack. Something water resistant would be nice but that's not a deal breaker. Don't care about price as I'm willing to spend the money on something that will take great shots. I'd also like it if it can take video in 1080p if possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Luc
Hittin' the Trails

Have you considered a micro4/3 camera instead of a compact.
I love my Lumix GM1 it's reasonably small and takes great photos. I think it has now been replaced by the GX7.
It came with a 12-32mm lense and I added a 35-100mm. I find for hiking I almost never use the 35-100mm.

It's not water proof so on iffy days it ends up living in my back pack the rest of the time it sits in a cotton carrier strapshot and I forget it is there until I need it.
vern.dewit likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Agree with the micro 4/3 format. It gives you many of the advantages of DSLR with exchangeable lenses (not all, as the sensor size is smaller), but in a smaller size and weight. I have the Olympus M5 (the Mark I not the Mark II) and really like it. It is dust and splash resistant which is great for the outdoors. I use it with the M.Zuiko 7-14mm PRO lens (for panoramas) and the 12-40mm PRO (for general purpose shots) and find they work really well on the trail and for multi-day trips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Those look like they would be great cameras but are definitely larger and heavier than I want. I was hoping to find a good quality, small camera that I can tuck away in the hip belt of my pack.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Summit Master

How about a Sony Rx100? You can still find Mark 1 for under 500 Canadian. It fits in the backpocket, side pocket, palm of your hand etc. I use it my 2nd camera and with good light image quality is near SLR
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

One recommendation: Don't bother with the "rugged waterproof" cameras. For the same price and size, you make some significant compromises in image quality. Most cameras today are built pretty tough anyway. What is your budget? The Rx100 series is pretty amazing for a point and shoot.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
One recommendation: Don't bother with the "rugged waterproof" cameras. For the same price and size, you make some significant compromises in image quality. Most cameras today are built pretty tough anyway. What is your budget? The Rx100 series is pretty amazing for a point and shoot.
Price isn't a concern. If needed, I'm willing to spend more to get better quality pictures. Nothing worse than when you see a great shot only to have it turn out crappy because of a cheap camera.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Check out the review. It mentions a few other cameras that you might want to check out as well.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/son...rx100-v-review

How important is the zoom to you? There are some pretty neat super zoom cameras but they get larger. At that point, it's almost better to get an APS-C format interchangeable camera like the Sony Alpha 5100 and then you can throw on a tiny pancake lens when you want to keep it small or a larger zoom lens for days when you are willing to carry an extra lens to get that reach.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Luc
Hittin' the Trails

My Lumix fits nicely in my pocked with its stock lense. The rx100 will as well but has a slightly smaller sensor. Both are very good cameras for their size. If you are always taking photos during the day and not using a lot of zoom you won't care much about sensor size. I haven't found many cameras with a large zoom lense that are any good that are also much smaller than either of the two mentioned above. We bought our Lumix as the small camera to take when we didn't want to lug our Canon T5i.
I think I started with a similar position to you and agonized over it for months before making a decision. If you haven't already done so go to a few camera shops, Broadway Camera and London Drugs are my favourites for places with knowledgeable staff, and get your hands on some of the cameras there are tons of options out there.

Curious to find out what you decide on.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I was looking to upgrade an older Olympus rugged point and shoot a few years and did some similar research. What I actually discovered (aside from the optical zoom) is that an iPhone or other smart phone with a good camera will take comparable pictures. So I upgrade my iPhone and bought a Lifeproof case for it so it's totally waterproof. I primarily shot with that for a few years and was really happy with the results.

A few years ago I got into photography a bit more and started hauling a Nikon DSLR with me on some trips. I would shoot with the Nikon on breaks or in camp but shoot with the iPhone on the go. Then last summer I swapped out the big Nikon for the Sony A6000. I use a Peak Designs capture clip to carry it on my shoulder strap so I can shoot on the go. Now I only shoot with the iphone on the go if it's raining and the Sony is inside my pack.

So I guess what I'm saying is... unless the zoom is a real priority for you, it might be worth it to get a smartphone with a waterproof case instead of a point and shoot. But YMMV of course
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Summit Master

agreed with Luc.

Yes, Broadway Camera was my fav place too. If in Calgary I'd recommend Saneal camera in Market Mall; they are very knowledgeable, have excellent selection of just about everything and will talk to you as long as you want without pushing to sell.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I have been using a Canon SX720 for just over a year. 40x optical zoom, decent image quality, small enough to shoot with one hand with while climbing/belaying. I'm pretty happy with it.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

My G 16 just cavved, too.. All photos blurred from something inside the lens.. Lens scratched up quite a bit. Was hoping to get more than 2 years out of it, but..

Looking at this one, currently.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...WERSHOTG9XMIIB

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 05-12-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyTuna View Post
This question might be better suited for an actual photography site but I thought I'd ask. Can anyone recommend a good compact camera with at least a 20x optical zoom? I'm looking for something other than my GoPro to throw in the belt pocket of my pack. Something water resistant would be nice but that's not a deal breaker. Don't care about price as I'm willing to spend the money on something that will take great shots. I'd also like it if it can take video in 1080p if possible. Thanks.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Black

assuming you want a significant zoom range 30x (24-720mm
IF you want to shoot RAW, it has it
1080p. No problem and it has 4K(handy for a frame grab if need be)

It has Electronic Viewfinder which I find invaluable in the mountains and brilliant days
very small and portable I hang it on my harness or pack gear loop

https://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalC...s60-black.aspx
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Agree with the Sony RX100 recommendation above. Excellent choice if you want a compact camera that takes great pictures.

I'm currently using a Sony A6000. I like to take nighttime landscape photos while backpacking, so I prefer a camera with a larger sensor for low-light conditions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page