GoPro Still Shots - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By martin
  • 1 Post By ChubbyTuna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling
Default GoPro Still Shots

Hey guys.
Just had a question for anyone who uses a GoPro. I took my GoPro (Hero 3+ Black) on a short backpacking trip last summer and took a lot of still shots that didn't turn out. I've used my GoPro lots for video and it has always turned out great but I found out that the still shots were mostly blurred, even when the camera was totally still on a tripod. I like to photograph my trips and have always just used my phone. I wanted to keep things as light and simple as possible by using one small camera what was good for both photos and video so I figured the GoPro would be great. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong or even a suggestion into one small waterproof camera that is similar to the GoPro in video quality but also takes great still shots as well. I like being able to wear the camera on my body or head such as with the GoPro. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I take lots of still shots with my Hero 3+ and have never had problems with pictures being blurry, except of course when the light is dim, or when the camera was moving. If it's happening in broad daylight holding the camera still then there must be something wrong with it. Can you post a couple of blurry shots?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR2160.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	858.4 KB
ID:	189810  

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

I've deleted most of the blurry shots but here's a couple of the less blurry ones. It seems like some of the problem is light related but I wasn't shooting directly into the sunlight. I was going to try taking some shots with the camera out of the waterproof plastic housing so it has one less lens to go through...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR0081.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	189818  

Name:	GOPR0131.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	189826  

Name:	GOPR0393.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	189834  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

It almost looks as though your housing is dirty? Try shooting a few without the housing I guess.
alpalmer likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, cycling, roadtrips, travel.... having fun!!!

Is the case fogging up? It sort of looks like that from your photos, but I can't tell for sure.

That happens to ours regularly if we don't use the strips.

https://shop.gopro.com/International...AHDAF-302.html

They do the trick.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I was using the antifog strips at the time. My case is a little scratched from Tough Mudder and I suspect that might be the cause. I think the light might be reflecting off the minor scratches. I'm going to search around to see if I can get just a replacement lens for the waterproof housing only glass instead of plastic. It should be more clear than plastic and less prone to scratching. I'll try a few shots without the case and see what happens.
alpalmer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page