Aerial photo and vid - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

its a shitload of flying background, $$$$ , patience, time, failures, more failures, time and more $$$$, knowledge of complex electronics and assemblies. Many of todays available drone quads can take that equation out of failure, but success rate is still limited, when getting into remote, hard access areas, and the $$$ is still quite risky. I am set up quite well at the moment to get some good field footage, at the same time, I can loose much of it, due to a simple glitch or oversight. Hoping to add some actual film in the next few weeks/ months. Its still fun to bring a toy grade machine and try to capture some interesting angles, and the $ risk is much less. I lost 2 drones already one in the deep snow and one caught in a huge tree, but later recovered.
vern.dewit likes this.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 02-18-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
its a shitload of flying background, $$$$ , patience, time, failures, more failures, time and more $$$$, knowledge of complex electronics and assemblies. Many of todays available drone quads can take that equation out of failure, but success rate is still limited, when getting into remote, hard access areas, and the $$$ is still quite risky. I am set up quite well at the moment to get some good field footage, at the same time, I can loose much of it, due to a simple glitch or oversight. Hoping to add some actual film in the next few weeks/ months. Its still fun to bring a toy grade machine and try to capture some interesting angles, and the $ risk is much less. I lost 2 drones already one in the deep snow and one caught in a huge tree, but later recovered.
I may be interested in something economical. What kind of drones do you use and what do they cost?

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Buddy has some nice footage on the various destinations on this site (no affiliation): http://www.whistlerhiatus.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
I may be interested in something economical. What kind of drones do you use and what do they cost?

Since I am into all kinds of RC aircraft for 30 years, I do have a wide selection from planes to helis and quads etc.

I have tested a fair bit of them, for total low cost entertainment a HubsanX4 is fun and can go fly outside for around 75$ (has built in cam low quality cam)

for just around 100$ the Syma X5 is a little bigger and lots of fun, with a slightly better cam.

The MJX101 or Syma X8 are larger again and can take a better cam and can give more distance and remote video feed. The are still toygrade though of course at around 150-200$

The price keeps climbing well past the 1000$ mark DJI Phantoms etc. and triple plus, for anything in usable good film abilities.

But for 100$ you can have reliable fun and sort of ok video/ stills, for short fill in parts of a compilation.

I do have some racing drones that can carry and provide decent video footage, but that's a whole different game again.

Flight time for all above except the expensive machines is only 5-8 min per battery, thats one of the downfalls for sure.

I'll post some clips of the machines mentioned here, in the meantime, google and youtube will answer the rest
post #20 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

OK, can't resist any more. I've wanted to post this since the thread began. Take it with a please!

Some places have issued drone hunting licenses, open season!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

No worries, not offended, I see these flying things from both sides. Like in most modern cases, its usually the operator that's the idiot, but in many cases we have the public insecure crying morons and the aggressive rednecks in the same neighborhood. The general public usually only sees the negative news.

For me, I don't care much, Just try to stay within reason of law and public respect and will fly what and where I can.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 02-20-2016 at 01:21 AM.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

This a mix of a Racing done Capable of 150 km/h plus, flown very mellow, with 2 cams. I did put myself into a lone corner in the park, some people showed up while I was in the air, but I landed quickly, just for you drone haters out there. Some segments are taken from a dedicated club field with airspace given to us, others (fullsize) need to avoid and respect.

Some shots are from a P3P, stabilized. We don't have to go to dizzying heights/air/restricted/space to film. The other machines mentioned in the previous post can be viewed on youtube uploaded from a various owners

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 02-21-2016 at 01:35 AM.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...%3D5J3L0E9gKHI

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs
post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Aerial footage from a different type of aircraft:

post #25 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Good stuff too, we often see paragliders all around many hiking summit areas.
Not much new in my department of aerial vids, some small clips, but getting ready to launch remote mountain flying soon.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Good stuff too, we often see paragliders all around many hiking summit areas.
Not much new in my department of aerial vids, some small clips, but getting ready to launch remote mountain flying soon.

So far in the past few posts you've called people not in favour of drones, morons, insecure, haters, uneducated and arm chair quarterbacks, not exactly a good way to build bridges. As a techie I understand the appeal, and if I didn't have enough expensive hobbies, I'd likely be into them as well. However just because I want peace and quiet in the backcountry doesn't make me an "uneduated insecure hater", to me it's no different from people with speakers blaring on their packs. If you want to share videos and techniques, go ahead, but I'd suggest dropping the name calling

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 03-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

I am grouping haters in general I guess, and its the kind that hear the word drone and think nothing but evil and crazy media stories.
Like the guy that seen me carry one to film the sunset. Stops and looks at me.." out doing some snoopin' eh?" with some weird attitude and kept mumbling on as I walked away. that's the kind I am referring too.

As far as noise, at 100m you can barely hear most of them, and the few minutes of airtime you get is little to spoil anyone's outing. Overhead full size aircraft, even high are much louder as are many humans, yelling and yahooing. If several of them are buzzing around, that can be a problem. I can agree on the mini speakers. That actually carries some distance.

Name calling is a little exaggerated here.

Last edited by Aqua Terra; 03-14-2016 at 12:07 PM.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
I am grouping haters in general I guess, and its the kind that hear the word drone and think nothing but evil and crazy media stories.
Like the guy that seen me carry one to film the sunset. Stops and looks at me.." out doing some snoopin' eh?" with some weird attitude and kept mumbling on as I walked away. that's the kind I am referring too.

As far as noise, at 100m you can barely hear most of them, and the few minutes of airtime you get is little to spoil anyone's outing. Overhead full size aircraft, even high are much louder as are many humans, yelling and yahooing. If several of them are buzzing around, that can be a problem. I can agree on the mini speakers. That actually carries some distance.

Name calling is a little exaggerated here.

I don't think I'm exaggerating. You expressed concern that this thread could deteriorate due to people poo pooing the use of drones and quoting of rules and regulations. You wanted to focus on the pictures and techniques, yet a fair number of your posts include some nice overt rock throwing at folks opposed to drones.

You're upset that people are grouping all drone users (regardless of them being responsible vs. jerks), yet it's ok to group the "haters" together (regardless of them having legitimate well reasoned concerns vs. knee jerk responses due to "evil" media stories).

It will be a lot easier to keep this thread on topic, by just staying on topic. Anyways, this will be my last post on this

Last edited by kellymcdonald78; 03-14-2016 at 01:17 PM.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Photography and the great outdoors!

Chartered a helicopter in 2007 in Lillooet to have a tour of the local mountains. The pilot was great, took my door off so I could take some photos...

I'll have to find more of the photos but I have this one online to share. It's an impromptu five-shot pano, handheld of course!

kellymcdonald78 likes this.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

things sure look smaller and simpler from the air on many occasions, good shot.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page