Macro-mania-getting that closeup shot - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography
Default Macro-mania-getting that closeup shot

Lately I've been working at getting the hang of closeup shots with my new camera,because I've noticed more and more how interesting and more difficult it is to do.Thought I'd start this thread for that purpose,so here's a few of my own-add yours and we'll see what turns up....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Anything outdoors.

Interesting thread Mick, not to mention nice photos
Im curious, tho you may have mentioned it on another thread, what is your camera?
I find the problem with such close-ups is getting the camera to focus on what you want, I have a canon G2, of which I have been most happy with, but the manual functions on it dont give me the same control as my SLR film camera
Now I need to go out and practice more... hhhmmmm....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, flyfishing, camping, photography, kayaking, swimming, x-country skiing wana get my open water dive certification... scrabble, mean yatzee player.........

Yep I've been having problems with closeups on brightly coloured objects (Flowers) My camera doesn't want to focus in even if I put the object I want directly centered in view and play with the zoom. It will sometimes focus momentarily sometimes not. I think low light (evening or shaded areas) may effect this. I need to play with it a bit too.

Maybe reading the manual will help[:I]

But if anyone has any tricks of the trade in getting good Macro shots please enlighten me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Summit Master

heres a couple I had luck with

Im happy with these, and not sure how close up I really bother much about
kinda neat to play around tho

these two were taken last year at 14 goat lake, Mt Baker... tiny, tiny flowers, but so colorful

PS: manual isnt much help the book that is, I read it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I've go the Olympus Stylus 410,and it's a little different than my Sony Mavica CD85.Oddly enough,it's smaller size makes it tougher to hold still,and I'm trying to get the hang of its lighter size,but it's fun trying.BillyGoat,I know you have the 400(it's the same except the 410 has movie audio),so what are your thoughts on the topic?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Summit Master

Interesting point about the camera weight and size
I didnt originally buy mine with the intent on backpacking, and have often thought a smaller more lightweight camera would be nice, but now you mention it being harder to hold onto I feel better about lugging mine around LOL
Im going to play around with mine a lot more on the trails, I finally found a way to strap it on without it bothering me so much, in the past it has been packed away making it difficult for me to reach, thus reluctant to take photos while on the trail (talking about overnight trips here)
Others who have the same camera as mine dont seem to find it so cumbersome, maybe Im just afraid of dropping it [8)]
I look forward to seeing your results, and perhaps sharing tips and ideas
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:15 PM

Great topic!
I have a Canon PowerShot A40. It is only a 2 megapixel but it was all I could afford at the time. I'd definitely like to upgrade to at least a 5MP, but that is way out of my league right now.

The key component to a focused macro is a tripod. Not one of your typical standard sized ones; I'm referring to a minnie one that wouldn't even be noticeable to your pack weight. That would serve the purpose for low ground shots. As for something waist height, I was thinking maybe one could rig their hiking poles to possibly serve as a temp tripod. As I don't own a pair of poles yet, I haven't been able to test this theory out. I'm sure it would take some creativity, but believe it could be done.

There are actually special macro lenses you can buy for your camera. I'm fortunate enough to have a camera that is capable of changing lenses; but not fortunate enough to own a macro lense yet.

I remember a fellow posted, on a photo site, about how he made a homemade macro lense by using a magnifying glass and somehow securing it to his camera. By searching the website I'm sure you may come across others who have posted just how to achieve this sort of thing.

Now you got me wanting to go out and try this. Thanks for the inspiration

----------------------------------------
Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit.
~~Henry David Thoreau~~
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, skiing, roller blading, photography, camping.

Close-ups, ha, I like those too.
Did you know ... that if you have the camera with exchangable lenses,
you can remove your lense, flip it around, than hold it tight to your camera body and you can go as close as few centimeters to the object.
Yes, that is true. Needs a bit of practise but the results are great.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountain biking, hiking, nature photography, astronomy, music...

All of these were taken using an old 35mm Pentax SLR, manual focus with various macro lenses and extension tubes. In some cases I used a white sheet of cardboard to reflect diffuse light on to the subjects. Films were Kodachrome 64 and Fujichrome 50. A tripod was used for all shots, cable release for most. If you want to explore macro photography I would suggest finding an SLR with aperture priority and a depth of field preview. One of the nice things about manual focus and aperture priority is that you not only have full control over what you're focussing on, you can isolate your subject with a small depth of field (pink flower). I love my little Canon digital but it can't do this! The spider was less than one cm across.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

So true,Magnetite,an SLR makes so much more possible.I've got a tripod,but have yet to use it,so I''ll have to see if it helps,which I'm sure it will...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Canoeing, Hiking, Fishing and Bear kissing.

I've never had much luck with macro shots however I have got lucky a few times in the two years I've owned my G2. I used to shoot almost exclusively with a tripod but I've found myself becoming increasingly lazy about carrying it with me, and sometimes the memory card, and sometimes a charged battery, and sometimes I just forget the camera altogether Tonight I had it at the ready while out canoeing and then once, just once... I got out of the canoe and onto a bridge to stretch my legs, leaving the camera in the canoe, at that very moment, with a nice sunset background... a beaver swam strait at me and came with in five feet of before diving. Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 04:45 AM

I've got a set of macro lenses for my G3 that I like. I also found that a lot would be out of focus, something that doesn't show well on the LCD.

What I found was in auto type modes, the camera set for the fastest shutter speed and widest apature, which give a short depth of field. Try settin for apature mode and adjust for correct shutter speed. Also try using manual focus if you have it.

If you still have a problem, set the camera up at home and focus on a target, something like text, and measure what distance you get using macro mode and different zooms. With a +4 lens, macro mode, and no zoom, I can get 1" away. A tripod or something similar is a must. I've got a small 6" tall guy.

UB
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 06:39 AM

Nice Macros everyone!

Magnetite, I absolutely love the small, slanted parade of mushrooms shot; it is perfect!

Here are a couple of mine. Not all are as close as I may have liked, but had I been any closer I would have lost the focus. Oh, and don't mind the framed one, it is one I did up for a photo site last year.

Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit.
~~Henry David Thoreau~~
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Mountaineering, Cars & Mechanics, Partying, Security, Computers, Programming, Reverse Engineering

Macro mode is cool -- I havn't really taken a lot of macro shots yet, but I will be soon.. I'll post them as soon as I can. Here's a couple of gecko's I took with macro in Koh Samui, Thailand

post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'll re-post these here... camera is the Stylus 400... the weight issue and the disposability of digital make it easy to change angles and positiions with the camera, I find... Lots more experimenting...

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page