Is This Photo Yours? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steventy

I wouldn't bother with any lawyer time. Just send them an invoice with a clear explanation for what it is for. Indicate that there will be a late fee of 15% interest per month.

Their marketing and legal teams may try to brush the issue away but accountants will eventually get frustrated at having that unpaid bill on their desk.
I will bet you 100 cows and 3 calfs, that their accountants won't even notice this bill among thousands of other bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Geez, I never knew Dru could take such a great picture, better get your money out of it because that's probably very rare indeed. [}]

P.S. Oh, thanx for the picture Eryne. [^]
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Summit Master

rather tough to protect or collect on any online pics these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with any lawyer time. Just send them an invoice with a clear explanation for what it is for. Indicate that there will be a late fee of 15% interest per month.

Their marketing and legal teams may try to brush the issue away but accountants will eventually get frustrated at having that unpaid bill on their desk.
I will bet you 100 cows and 3 calfs, that their accountants won't even notice this bill among thousands of other bills.
Note to self: Cool, Arnold gambles farm animals
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Definately I'd be calling them (Garmin), no need for a lawyer at first. Just give them a call at their headquarters and enquire why your photograph is on their advertisements, see what they have to say. They will direct you to someone in their advertising and marketing department, spend the few minutes what little it takes to discuss the issue. You will find they will likely be sorry for what happened and offer you some shut up money or a complimentary gift of some sort to try and quell things swiftly.

Do it dude!! Call them!

post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

That sucks big time! Humph, I guess this means the copyright isn't worth a pile of beans!
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HagensborgViking

Watermark shwatermark.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Summit Master

But Dru think of the exposure you got!
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:

Which is why it may just get paid.

We had a software company send us an invoice for upgrades and customer support, which we didn't receive. The only reason the invoice didn't get paid was because our bean counters in corporate happened to mention that the bill was still addressed to a former employee. They were more than happy to pay >$20,000 for something we never received just because there was a bill in front of them.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

Most of those uses are totally, completely outside the terms of the CC license.

So much for fair use.

Fuckwads.
Agree Dru! - but on a better note - great pics! I'm sure you have heard that lol...

say what camera/lens do you like to use?

bob
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

That is a cool pic Dru. I am sorry you did not get your due!

There is a lot of stealing, sharing, borrowing - whatever you want to call it - going on everywhere on the internet. Very few people understand where this is going and who will ultimately benefit.

Those who do have been on a massive PR campaign going on about openness, sharing, etc. (FB, Twitter, Google, Amazon, Pirate bay and co.) It has been pushed as the online spirit for more than 15 years. And it is a difficult issue because by going online people are sharing their data by default.

So it is all about controlling privacy, establishing licences and so on but this is largely a red herring. The nature of the net makes it very hard to control anything displayed in your browser.

The majority of internet users receive no or very little revenue from their data, which in turn prevents us from using software to control our intellectual property in a meaningful way (not that this would solve much, you'd still have to pay lawyers in disputes).

If anyone is interested in a view that the media and big internet players do not want to discuss read Who Owns the Future?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Owns_the_Future%3F

It is not a smooth reading, largely because it discusses something we think we know in unfamiliar ways but it does contains ideas and observations that will surprise you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page