Good RAW image converter/photo editor? - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Quote:
quote:GIMP and Adobe Lightroom are two very different programs.
How so?

Looks like the Corel program doesn't have red eye correction..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Photoshop is to GIMP as Lightroom is to RawTherapee (and other programs). Depending on what you're trying to do, it may not matter, but Lightroom/RawTherapee will provide more options that are specific to editing & converting RAWs. I haven't used GIMP or Photoshop to convert RAWs so maybe this isn't so difficult, but one thing Lightroom or RawTherapee will be good at is processing multiple images at the same time, which can make the whole job go a lot faster.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I absolutely love lightroom and have been using it pretty much since it was released. Its not only a great stand-alone editor but with its virtual catalogue it's also invaluable for sorting and keeping track of your images. Not everyone will want to spend a couple hundred bucks on the software though.
I also use Corel Paintshop PRO which one could say is a much cheaper version of Photoshop but still quite full featured as a photo editor. I believe they still have a full version 30 day trial available for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I shoot RAW files and use Lightroom to process. In addition to the ease of processing it is the ease with which I can sort thru my multiple shots and choose the ones I want to proceed with that makes it really helpful. That and it leaves the original photo untouched, you can mess with as many 'virtual copies' as you please.

I credit using Scott Kelby's books with getting me up to speed mostly with Lightroom but also with some of the older versions of Photoshop I used previously (in general I don't need the horsepower Photoshop delivers). Kelby's tutorials are right on the money - for my learning style anyway, which is usually "I want to do THIS - show me how"

I would guess at this point you are just as well to process JPEGS as RAW files and try as many free or nearly free programs as you learn. As you hike and whatnot Shoot some RAW and come back to them as you progress on your path. I return to reprocess old RAW files as I THINK I am improving. Its a fun process and cringe worthy to look back on some of old work one day.

For what it's worth I'm still a hack ;&gt Enjoy the process for what it is.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: backpacking -anything above treeline bike touring keeping my wife happy

I use photoshop CS6 on mac. If you know someone who is a student, the student pricing isn't too bad.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dougz

Quote:
quote:GIMP and Adobe Lightroom are two very different programs.
How so?

Looks like the Corel program doesn't have red eye correction..
I apologize for not clarifying the differences, I assumed the information known.

GIMP and Adobe Photoshop are full blown image manipulation editors (hence why GIMP stands for "GNU (free) Image Manipulation Program") where the user would be focused on modifying one image at a time. The user is able to open several images but note the demand on hardware to open several fully uncompressed detailed photos.

Corel AfterShot Pro and Adobe Lightroom are orientated towards photo asset management (also known as cataloging - building a library of photos) with quick editing abilities. Photos are displayed with speed at the cost of quality. Often photographers will notice certain programs may display different RAWs for better or worse; it depends with how the program chooses to "quick" view the photos through algorithm. Over time these programs have become more powerful and have added batching abilities.

In short, photo asset management software is what most users will utilize. When specific details where absolute precision is required, the user would "export" from the management software to the external editor of choice, in my case GIMP. The "export" feature is built into Aftershot and Lightroom.

Corel AfterShot Pro has free plugins, including previous plugins from Bibble Pro:
http://www.aftershotpro.com/plugins/...plug=mdredeyes

Personally I rarely need to correct red-eye. When I do I use the layer feature, draw two circles and reduce saturation or luminance ... or change the whole eye colour =)

FYI Corel AfterShot Pro can utilize OpenCL if your graphic card supports the feature. Translation: faster previews and photo editing updates.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Ok, I think I get what you mean now, thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page