New Sony FE System - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default New Sony FE System

I'm sure you're all aware of the exciting announcement from Sony regarding a new FE system based on the existing E-Mount, this is a full frame system that will finally allow a small mirrorless format to handle a FF system of AF lenses.

I am blogging about the system on my web site (http://www.explor8ion.com/photography/sony-a7.html) and will be writing about my experiences with it once I get one. The main issue up front is the lack of lenses - something that has always plagued Sony's new system releases.

What do people think? Exciting or not a big deal?

Vern Dewit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I think it's great what Sony is doing and is quite appealing to those of us who desire great image quality but not the associated weight in camera equipment. Sony has pretty deep pockets, so I'm sure that there will be a nice stable of lenses coming out in a timely manner.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I like Thom Hogan's commentary:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...-a-camera.html
As you mentioned, the lack of lens is a problem. I like the size and weight advantage...compare that to my 36MP Nikon D800 with 17-35mm lens which weighs 4.5 lbs; that's a lot of weight to take on hikes/backpacks. I would be interested to see the results of your experience once you get one. Nice website BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyGoat

...Sony has pretty deep pockets, so I'm sure that there will be a nice stable of lenses coming out in a timely manner.
I'd like to think this too but it has not happened with the NEX system which presumably has more buyers than the FE system will. I hope you're right though! Right now it's looking like there won't be ANY lenses available when I first get my A7R because the 28-70 is only being sold in the kit with the A7 and the 35mm is only coming later. So it's not a great start. [:I]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by solo75

I like Thom Hogan's commentary:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...-a-camera.html
As you mentioned, the lack of lens is a problem. I like the size and weight advantage...compare that to my 36MP Nikon D800 with 17-35mm lens which weighs 4.5 lbs; that's a lot of weight to take on hikes/backpacks. I would be interested to see the results of your experience once you get one. Nice website BTW.
Thanks! I like Thom's balanced approach. He's spot on with his lens observations too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I love what Sony is doing in pushing the mirrorless standard forward but I'd like to see more players entering the arena. While there is no royalty required now to make lenses for Sony mounts, other camera manufacturers can not use their mounts on their own cameras.

What I like about this move from Sony though is that hopefully it will throw down the gauntlet for Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon to follow suit. What would really be awesome would be if they'd all agree upon a standard mount so that the lenses are interchangeable between all systems and depth charge Sony out of the water.

Look forward to your preliminary review Vern.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

What I like about this move from Sony though is that hopefully it will throw down the gauntlet for Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon to follow suit. What would really be awesome would be if they'd all agree upon a standard mount so that the lenses are interchangeable between all systems and depth charge Sony out of the water.
+1! Kind of like the Micro Four-Third standard that Olympus, Kodak, Leica and Panasonic agreed to but a FF mirrorless standard.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

In case anyone's interested, I got my Sony A7R last week and have been trying out a few lenses on it already. I have more lenses / adapters coming from EBay and will continue to update my rolling review at http://www.explor8ion.com/review/sonya7r.html.

In case people don't want to wander away from this site, here's the gist so far:

Pros
  • Excellent Image Quality in both RAW and JPEG formats
  • Very small and light for full frame
  • Responsive and very customizable with many function buttons etc
  • Almost any alternate lens will fit (not all work well...)
  • The EVF / LCD are excellent and work very well with MF lenses and focus peaking
  • The camera is comfortable to hold and balanced nicely

Cons
  • Very loud shutter - annoyingly loud!
  • The sensor to switch between the EVF and rear LCD doesn't switch when wet
  • 35mm FE f/2.8 lens has some purple fringing issues which is disappointing for a $700 lens
  • The A7R seems more fussy with lenses than the A7. This makes sense considering the massive mp count (36) but I wonder if there's going to be issues even with native mount FE lenses (like the 24-70 f/4)?

Some pics of the gear so far, including a Canon 24mm FD 1:1.4 L lens that works beautifully.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

When I compared your Sony A7R to my Nikon D800 the specs are very similar. DxO Mark gives the same score for both cameras which isn't too surprising since the D800 incorporates the sony sensor but I think Nikon tweaked it a bit because the low light iso score is a bit better. I've used iso 6400 which is the highest Nikon recommends although it can go up to 25,000 but probably not useable. There is definitely noise at 6400 but I used Noise Ninja and it did a great job cleaning it up. Marc Adamus used iso 12,000 with his D800 in one of his shots and it looks great.
The A7R beats the D800 on weight: 400 grams vs 820 which I find quite amazing how they managed to put such a large sensor inside a camera ½ the weight but I can't believe how poor the battery rating is; only 270 shots? The D800 is rated around 900 although I never get that much.
I think purple fringing is fairly common with Zeiss lenses but even my 17-35 mm nikkor which I bought used but in mint condition ($1200) on eBay suffers the same problem.
Remember, you should not use subpar lenses if you want to get the most out of the 36 MP sensor. You can even use Nikon lenses with the A7R using the Novoflex adapter.
You also mentioned using manual focus in your review. I use manual when I do focus stacking with Live View activated….works really well.
Anyways, interesting review and I hope you make good use of your camera. I take mine out for exercise every week and it works flawlessly in all types of weather.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by solo75
Remember, you should not use subpar lenses if you want to get the most out of the 36 MP sensor.
I agree 100%! This is going to be people's biggest hangup on the A7R - the sensor will demand very good lenses. I briefly owned a Nikon D800E with the "holy trinity" of lenses, the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 series. I sold the system because it was way too heavy and large for my tastes, regardless of its excellent IQ.

Considering those lenses vs. the tiny Olympus OM primes like the 24 f/2.8, 28 f/2 and 50 f/1.8 is hilarious. I'm not saying they're necessarily equivalent but the size / weight factor difference is HUGE.

The battery life is crappy but with huge, 40mb files I don't want to be taking hundreds of shots anyway...[]
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vern.dewit

The battery life is crappy but with huge, 40mb files I don't want to be taking hundreds of shots anyway...[]
I totally agree...ever since I bought the D800, I've been very selective on what to photograph and may only take 50 shots or less on an outing....just like the film days where you don't want to waste film therefore you plan and think carefully before pressing the shutter release.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page