Anyone using CHDK? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Anyone using CHDK?

I'm in the market for a new point and shoot. As a result of CHDK (Canon Hacker Development Kit,) I am only considering Canon cameras.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Is anyone using CHDK on a Canon point and shoot? It gives you the ability to shoot RAW, use Auto-Exposure Bracketing and many other features on entry level cameras without having to spend $350 on a premium model.
However, I wonder if the UI and the process of loading the firmware is more trouble than it is worth for practical purposes.

On a tangential rant: Doesn't anyone make a basic camera anymore? I don't want a touch-screen, WiFi, HD video, GPS or facial recognition - I just want a light sturdy camera with maximum image quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Yes I have...

DO NOT download this onto your camera unless it is a crap camera you don't care about, never install this on a new camera, unless of course you don't mind gambling the life of the camera or what may happen to your camera instantly.

Edit:

If I was in the market for a point and shoot and could afford it I would personally go for:
Canon PowerShot 12.1MP 50x Optical Zoom Digital Camera (SX50HS)
I'd baby it and not run chdk on it!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

A while ago, I had a Canon S5iS 'superzoom' and i had CHDK on it. There were no problems--just be very careful about following the creators' instructions exactly. (You can always revert to factory settings when you want.)

It allows you control over your camera like you would not believe. I got some pictures that I never could have captured without CHDK.

(I since sold the camera and bought a basic DSLR. I reverted to factory settings before I sold the S5iS)

Acronym time: With CHDK, if you don't like to RTFM, then GTFO...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Yes i have it installed on Canon SX20is.

I suggest trying method of loading/booting it with SD card.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

It isn't created by the cameras manufacturers or software engineers. Any third party firmware can harm your camera and void your warranty.

Here's what happened to me...

I had my Canon point and shoot a year and thought what the heck, this looks awesome!!!
I downloaded the correct file to the sdcard and booted up the camera.... The first bootup the camera made some crazy grinding noises and the lens went in and out (zoom/unzoom) hysterically then settled. I immediately assumed my camera was likely ruined because it went haywire.

The camera booted up and worked, took some nice shots, had some nice features, but then I started noticing weird things happening with the camera. Display issues cropped up in both CHDK mode or even without CHDK (screen flickering and colours screwy)... More and more problems cropped up. Then I ended up having to buy a new camera.

The creators of this software keep putting out newer versions with fixes, you are basically being a tester by installing it on your camera. I noticed after I installed mine, a newer updated version was available a month later. Could the newer version fixed the issues that destroyed my camera? Hard to say...

By installing this CHDK software you are removing the canon from your canon and putting in "Something else" in my opinion. The issues I had after installing CHDK would never happened if it wasn't for the CHDK, and likely would have had a longer life of the camera.

My Conclusion:
I would never install CHDK on anything other than a junky/old camera to maybe spice it up, I'd never install it on a new decent point and shoot even if I had warranty. You can take great shots with todays point and shoots & features without the need for CHDK.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I've used CHDK with considerable success on my G9: especially for time lapse shots. I'd be willing to sell the G9 plus accessories to you as I don't use it anymore.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for the information all.

Aces: Sorry to hear about your experience. Perhaps I will stay away from the alpha versions of the software and I will go into it knowing of the risk.
They do claim it is fairly safe with no "confirmed" reports of failure:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Camera_fa...caused_by_CHDK

BillyGoat: I may contact you about that G9. For now, my camera has started working perfectly again. Last weekend about half the pictures were messed up. Now I can't get it to take a single messed up picture.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page