13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

There is a bit of a halo on the mountain, especially on the left. The edge really stands out, as if it's been highlighted. I know you're not a fan of HDR, but this photo has an HDR feel. Did you use the Clarity brush in Lightroom?
That halo could be just an artifact of jpeg compression. To see this in extreme form crank down the quality amount in a photo editing program when you save a jpeg photo.

The original full sized photo might not have this artifact. Try scaling the original photo again but keep the quality set to 100.

I know a little bit about image compression from a course I took on image processing. We got to implement our own JPEG 2000 compression which is way superior to JPEG compression. JPEG compression suffers from ringing effects. Too bad it is the de facto image format on the internet. Google is pushing webp which is better than jpeg but adoption is looking hopeless. webp only works in Google Chrome as far as I know. Some sites already use it like Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Dudes,

This thread could not be more simple. Put up a photo that you like. If it's from 5 years ago, it's all good. If it's from yesterday, then put it up.

If you don't want to put up a photo, then don't put up a photo. Users will decide if the thread is relevant enough to continue using.

If you think the original post is weird, perhaps email the original poster and ask him/her about it.

**I cleaned up the thread a bit.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

If there is one thing I could teach a budding photographer it is the concept of less is more. If you post 100 photos in your trip report; no one (and I mean NO ONE, not even your mother) is going to click through every single photo!
This is a great point and one that I'm trying to make. Take this point and look at it from the perspective of people instead of individuals.

This thread references the nwhikers forum and follows their example. There are 8 threads on nwhikers called "Picture of the Day." Let's look at some numbers:

Thread 1: 102 Pages, 1515 Posts
Thread 2: 100 Pages, 1494 Posts
Thread 3: 117 Pages, 1745 Posts
Thread 4: 33 Pages, 494 Posts
Thread 5: 168 Pages, 2517 Posts
Thread 6: 167 Pages, 2501 Posts
Thread 7: 71 Pages, 1054 Posts
Thread 8: 80 Pages, 1193 Posts

That totals to 12,513 posts.

I agree with you completely. Less is more.

** for some reason my original reply was deleted. Perhaps it was seen as confrontation. This is a simplified response that I hope will not offend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

post #35 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by ecoulthard

That halo could be just an artifact of jpeg compression. To see this in extreme form crank down the quality amount in a photo editing program when you save a jpeg photo.
Eric - bang on. (you'd have tons of fun discussing all 'great' things about jpeg format with a friend of mine ). But part of blame might be on PS: This is first photo I ever photoshoped in my life; trying to learn this powerful (but complicated) tool & bound to make mistakes. I was quite amazed I was able to bring out Robson from cloud (original has one big washed out area there, which is why I originally discarded the photo.

Karen (and David) - couldn't agree more with your write-up. Ditto for 'less is more' (hope ubishops would read this). I wish you'd post more on this board; I was recently drooling over your Limestone Lakes display & decided to go there myself this August!
post #36 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

Cool shot! The hiker really adds perspective. How much time did you spend processing it? I find in situations like this, it's good to use bracketing. You mention blending two layers, a darker one could have helped with the overexposed trees in the background. Which camera do you use? It probably has a bracketing feature.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

For every good photo taken, there are a dozen yahoos like me taking pictures in a dark forest with the ND filter on...

post #38 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by another jeff
Haha. It kind of looks like a painting.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

post #40 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Marko

Quote:

Cool shot! The hiker really adds perspective. How much time did you spend processing it? I find in situations like this, it's good to use bracketing. You mention blending two layers, a darker one could have helped with the overexposed trees in the background. Which camera do you use? It probably has a bracketing feature.
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I didn't really time how long it took but it was longer than a normal photo with optimal lighting. I just enjoy processing photos, it relaxes me. )

I shoot with a Canon 5DMII but I don't exposure bracket because I shoot exclusively in RAW. I don't use layer masks for more than -2 or +2 exposure as I'm not really into HDR, just a matter of personal preference and style.

Also in order to manually bracket large differences in exposure you need to use a tripod and this was a hand held "snapshot" as we were walking along, another reason it missed the original cut for stock...it was not tack sharp. I like the blinding light even with the loss of detail because it exaggerates the desert sunlight and illuminates the hiker.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Hey dudes,

Had to delete a few posts, as the thread is being a little too derailed. Let's try and keep it on track.

Thanks.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Mid-May last year near the Brian Waddington Hut.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Looking East on the Fraser River

post #44 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Noise maker at Cates Park May 2013

It's a new day!
post #45 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page