Chasing Ice - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once
Default Chasing Ice

Wasn't sure where to post this............OMG!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hC3VTgIPoGU?rel=0

Chasing Ice

For whatever few climate change deniers still exist, James Balog has something he'd like to show you.

Not content to just rely on scientific data and the past decade's parade of weather-related disasters to make his point, Balog — an internationally revered nature photographer — set out over a number of years to record the erosion of some of the world's greatest glaciers, hastened by mankind-created global warming, with time-lapse photography.

“Chasing Ice” follows Balog as he sets up numerous cameras in remote areas of Iceland, Greenland and Alaska to accomplish this. Understand, we're talking no small endeavor here — these cameras have to function in some of the harshest weather conditions imaginable, withstanding intense cold, heavy winds and snow. Balog begins his project — dubbed the Extreme Ice Survey — in 2005 and runs into problems both technical (camera malfunction) and personal (Balog basically blows out his knees trudging over and climbing up icescapes) as the film plays out.

But the effort proves well worth the trouble and pain. With multiple cameras shooting on the hour, Balog is able to track the alarming — and it truly is alarming — rate the glaciers are melting, feeding ice into the sea and consequently raising the oceans' water levels. Balog's footage shows one glacier losing the same amount of ice in this century's first decade as it lost in the previous 100 years.

It's both horrifying and magnificent. Director Jeff Orlowski has a tough task himself — he's essentially taking pictures of a guy taking pictures. But the awe-inspiring glaciers — and the crazy-dangerous risks Balog takes — keep the film vital, while the sheer size of the natural beauty and the natural disaster is jaw-dropping.” Tom Long, The Detroit News

Film's website: http://www.chasingice.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Amazing & Spectacular footage. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

That is crazy. Looks like a giant ice whale breaking the oceans surface within the first few minutes of the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: hiking,swimming,anything on the water or outside.Try almost anything once

I'm going to see this at the Powell River film festival on the 28th.......I will bring my box of kleenex
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Summit Master

good thing, they were at a distance, thats some serious size and volume moving fast for earthly standards.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Yeah, it does look amazing. I've been hoping to get a chance to see this film and it's at the VIMFF this year:
http://www.vimff.org/vimff_2013/films/chasing_ice/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Summit Master

Excellent film, beautiful locations. I was saddened that more people didn't see the film when it was in Vancouver last fall, with a talk back by members of the Changing Ice team.

I was fortunate to see many of the locations depicted in the film with my own eyes and cameras. I too am anguished at the rate of disappearance of the ice in Alaska, Iceland and Greenland. To see the large icebergs in Illulissat - many larger than city blocks, and taller than the towers of Metrotown, was a highlight of my life. And to see the ice chunks at Jokulsarlon ( though not in wind conditions as extreme as depicted in the movie ) was a precious moment as well.

Do go see the film. It is about a difficult project that was done well, and about the need to demonstrate the rapid deterioration of our most precious resource. Time lapses do not lie.

And it is changing people's minds, and apparently lives too. Here's a moving testimonial from last fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzw1d...e_gdata_player
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Pretty amazing the difference in the ice change, from the past ten years, compared to the last 100.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow, thanks for the share. Some wild footage. Like Aces said, amazing the change in the past 10 years as opposed to the 100 before.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

I saw this in Bellingham a few wks ago, I was at the edge of my seat through most of it. HIGHLY recommend this to everyone! Certainly left me torn between the desire to save the world and the desire to enjoy it. His footage is amazing.

Here's a clip of Balog at the TED conference (the comments are worth a read as well):

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_balog..._ice_loss.html

post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

The comments make me want to PUKE!! I'm sorry,but if this is really how people feel,maybe it's better if it all melts and wipes us all out!!! UNREAL!!!!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by no quitting

The comments make me want to PUKE!! I'm sorry,but if this is really how people feel,maybe it's better if it all melts and wipes us all out!!! UNREAL!!!!
Chris ?

Everything changes........

Once upon a time, 600 + million years ago, earth was a total iceball when most life (microbial) was wiped out.... then climate changedand we got the beginnings of more complex life.

We are all not here forever either....

K
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Sorry Karl.............I meant the comments on the link Ashi posted,the ignorance
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

Quote:

Sorry Karl.............I meant the comments on the link Ashi posted,the ignorance
AGREED!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

maybe it's better if it all melts and wipes us all out!!!
I find it apropos that this thread, https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=56062, was posted only a few days before this one started.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page