Waterproof Cameras - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Waterproof Cameras

I am going to on vacation soon and have some questions. I am in the market for a waterproof camera mainly to take pics and videos of the family having fun in the ocean and pools.

It is mainly a toss up between the Gopro Hero White or the Canon D20.

Any pros/cons or suggestions?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Headed for the Mountains

What's your priority: still pictures or 'action' video?

If its POV action video (of yourself doing more or less crazy stunts) its the GoPro. IMO GoPro still images are of much lesser quality compared to point and shoot cameras.

For picture priority (and nice videos of others) I'd go with one of the small waterproof point&shoots. Pentax, Panasonic, Canon and several more brands to choose from. You will still get nice videos, but they require a more active role as camera-person (not the hands-off, stick on your helmet type).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I cannot figure out my priority [)]

I like the thought of POV video mainly for my son but pictures underwater of sea life etc.. are important as well.

I bought the Gopro camera originally and agree the pics were not great. I returned the Gopro and now have the D20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

You sound to be looking into a higher level of cameras, but as far as a simple one goes, I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC somethingorother, which is the previous version of this camera, and it is truly awesome.
It's no DSLR, but it takes very excellent photos for a compact camera. I wanted a rugged camera, and usually you trade off photo quality for that, but this one amazingly makes no trade (compared to non-rugged compact cameras). It takes clearer photos than a lot of other cameras I see that do have an extending lens, and is much better than any other similar shockproof camera. It's droppable, waterproof to 40'/12m, and works well in a Rocky Mountain winter (even stored in backpack hip pocket, and not inside jacket).
I didn't care about video capability, but have discovered it also actually takes very decent videos. Not the same as a GoPro, but very good for a camera of its type.
Might be useful to others, even if you are looking for something bigger.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:I cannot figure out my priority
Same here, that's how I ended up with a shelf full of different cameras
At least you returned one...

PS: Last years (2011) topic on weatherproof cameras here
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=38641
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

For video, GoPro is pretty good underwater (with proper underwater flat lens case). You can find many videos done with it, if you search. I also used it myself underwater in Hawaii with good results. You can easily attach it with a chest mount or head strap mount (just make sure you don't lose it) and go for a swim. I don't know how the D20 attaches or how it handles underwater shooting though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanx for the input folks. I am still a little lost but will probably keep the Canon D20.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

The specs on the Olympus Tough TG-1 one have piqued my interest with the relatively fast lens. Still seems to suffer from a bit of Olympus Tough mediocrity but the fast lens is attractive.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...compact-camera
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

What do you mean by the fast lens? The link you provided only mentions that its lens is 'not terrifically fast'.
I had an Olympus Tough. The photo quality was poor compared to non-tough compact cameras, and it suddenly broke after about 13 months (1 year warranty of course). Not even the tough stuff failed and I dropped it or anything. I put it in my camera pouch after taking a photo, pulled it out five minutes later for another photo, and it was dead.

If you read the previous thread posted here, many other CT people have had bad experiences with Olympus Toughs that took poor photos and then broke. I'd never recommend it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rachelo

What do you mean by the fast lens? The link you provided only mentions that its lens is 'not terrifically fast'.
I had an Olympus Tough. The photo quality was poor compared to non-tough compact cameras, and it suddenly broke after about 13 months (1 year warranty of course). Not even the tough stuff failed and I dropped it or anything. I put it in my camera pouch after taking a photo, pulled it out five minutes later for another photo, and it was dead.

If you read the previous thread posted here, many other CT people have had bad experiences with Olympus Toughs that took poor photos and then broke. I'd never recommend it.
The lens is f2.0-4.9 equivalent which is pretty fast for a tough camera AFAIK. You can also get macro and wide angle adapter lenses but they cost almost as much as the camera which is already pretty expensive. From the reviews I've read there are some quality control issues but the ones that work seem to be pretty good.

The TG-2 is coming out in march with a cmos sensor and some other design tweaks.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

I have the Olympus TG-1 and quite like it, it is supposedly much better than its predecessors (I cannot comment because I never owned any of the previous versions). I however use a full frame DSLR for most of my photography, this one was purposely bought for underwater photography (and occassional use in wet/cold weather when I don't have my main camera) and it performs well and the quality is great.

Underwater is usually not the best lighting conditions and it was great in low light. With f2 at max aperature it is a fast lens, the review says it is not terrifically fast "at the long end".

I have some sample photos taken with it from my vacation last year in Oahu here (NOTE: only the underwater ones and a few of the river kayak photos were taken with the Olympus):

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...619&highlight=

It certainly is a tough little camera, long term toughness remains to be seen but since most "underwater cameras" die during their maiden trip it is already miles ahead of the competition.

There are really only two main negatives. 1) the price tag 2 ) when zooming in and out on video it makes a loud whirring noise...like REALLY loud rendering video useless unless you are willing to mask with music or keep it at the same distance while recording.

Also note I used a Go Pro with dive housing as well but the Olympus was easier to control and has many more modes, I mainly used the Go Pro for video.

Karen
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thank you all again for the additional information. I think I am going to stick with the D20. I am a canon fan and I think it has more uses than the Gopro for me.

Some test shots with the D20

Capilano Underwater

Seymour Underwater

Macro

Trail

Pic - 5X Zoom - 20X Digital Zoom
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Summit Master

For a throw around vacation cam we used a simple 100$ cybershot with a 20$ plastic underwater case....

wouldnt bother with another underwater camera only
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

For a throw around vacation cam we used a simple 100$ cybershot with a 20$ plastic underwater case....

wouldnt bother with another underwater camera only
Thought of that option as well..because $300 for a mediocre p&s camera (D20), waterproof or not, is pricey!

Another option was a hard waterproof case made by canon for my wife's small p&s but it was $200 everywhere I looked.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Summit Master

It was a housing like this, used it 2 seasons, no issues, bought in Cancun MX for 40$ but is available once in awhile online for 20$, very pleased with it and took OK pics without added camera cost, dove 10 foot plus without a hint of leaking
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/POLHL.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page