Your Five Favourite Pictures of the Year - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography
Default Your Five Favourite Pictures of the Year

To start with, I got this idea from Rachelo's post on the 2012 Calendar Thread

She was making the point that some of the photos you might feel are your best this year may not be appropriate for calendar format and that maybe best photos of 2012 might deserve a thread of its own. For example, they might be panoramas, vertical shots, or square format. Also, if you have had your photos used for the calendar in previous years, your photos wouldn't be selected for the current year as per the rules.

Anyhow, I thought I'd start this thread for the heck of it. Post five of your favourites from 2012 now if you like, and Darren if you can put a sticky on this thread maybe every November we can make new submissions.Please include a description or even a few words about why you like the shot, if you want.
I'll start with a few of my own...

1) This one is from a late October visit to the Cheewhat Cedar, which is the world's largest western red cedar. To get there you drive over 80km of logging roads from Lake Cowichan on Vancouver Island. It's not far from Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park, where I also had a chance to visit. This was a trip 20 years in the making for me, so I was very happy to be there. Sometime this winter I'll write up a trip report so you can see more if you like.

2) This is a late August shot of the Silver Queen Mine Road taken at sunrise from a summit near Blowdown Pass

3) Canyoneering in Looper Creek in early September, also on Vancouver Island and not far from the Cheewhat Cedar. Possibly my most memorable trip of the year, and my first canyon trip. Thanks Chris, Kevin, Vlad, and Francois

4) This one is for OldMatt. A sunset view of Crown Mountain, The Camel and the unofficially named Spindle, taken from Mt Seymour

5) Ted Oliver (above) and Denis Blair fixing to scramble some quality granite this September on the way to Mt Gillespie in the Mamquam Valley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

This one is amazing! I really love the light!
And what cool patterns in the snow in the last one. Water that colour makes me want to jump in it, even when I know it's icy at best.
PeppyPineTree likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Here's six that I currently have in my Favorites folder, from trips I took with Nicole:

Guess I like quiet pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great idea....here are mine, all from our trip to Yellowstone and Utah this summer (its November, miserable outside and I'm longing for the desert)

1. Heart Lake - Yellowstone
2. Green River, Utah - last campsite on a 5 day "flat water" canoe trip
3. Dragonfly Canyon, Arches NP - first canyon we did on our own
4. Orderville Canyon, Zion NP - warm up for the more technical canyons
5. Pine Creek, Zion NP - first technical canyon on our own
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I don't think anything I've taken is calender-worthy, but here's a few of mine. I forced myself to choose only one shot from Utah otherwise it would all be red rock & canyons.

1: sitting on the Chief shortly before a thunderstorm rolled in & soaked everyone, June

2: alpenglow on Garibaldi from Roe Creek FSR, after a long day on Cypress Peak, August

3: Elfin Lakes, still frozen in July

4: Pink Heather on the Panorama Ridge trail, August

5: Hiking the Zion Narrows, September
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

This is a good idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

I agree with Rachelo, I was just ribbing darren.

I have loads of pictures that I love that I wouldn't put forward for the Calender for various reasons.

Photo Spring took that I processed. Heading to the summit of Cayoosh in March

Cody (thecamel) on the summit of Mt. Garibaldi in May

Alastair, Alexis (pebeto) and others descending off of Mt. Howard in May

Spring descending the NW Face of Matier in May

Cody and Ben descending the Disappointment Cleaver on Mt. Rainier in August
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Summit Master

Few years ago, I learned about "Hugin" pano stitcher from Eric Coulthard web site. But it never really worked for me on Win platform. This year I tried Mac version, and it performed really well -- so I'll contribute some panos, as that was my theme of the year. From technical perspective they are not necessarily spectacular, but each has story to tell -- which was part of Mick' idea:

Barrier Lake from just under McConnell ridge in Kananaskis. To Alberta folks it needs no introduction; for BC members, this is one fantastic viewpoint mere 1 hr of easy hiking from parking at Hwy40. Mid to late afternoon light is awesome due to easterly exposure. I've been coming here regularly 2-3 times/year every since 1998

Bow Valley from just above abandoned teahouse on Lady McDonald above Canmore. Grotto Mountain to the left, Lougheed Towers center and landmark Three Sisters right. Cougar Creek (newer residential part of Canmore) lower right

This stitch is made of 3 frames and shows length of Garibaldi Lake from Mt. Price. For folks outside the Coast -- Garibaldi is a wonder and should be visited by anyone that likes hiking and outdoors. More frequented vista is Panorama Ridge on north side; but it is hard to get favorable light due to sun-in-your-face most of the day. To the contrary, old volcano of Mt. Price is one fantastic viewpoint with sun behind your back most of the afternoon. I plan to come here one calm and warm August night and bivy overnight

Berg Lake basin from Hargreaves Ridge. This year I did my first multi-day backpack to Berg Lake in early July and feel my appreciation for Rockies has reached another level after this. Despite the haze this photo turned out really well. Mid-afternoon light will provide best light; in particular when doing traverse further east towards Mum Basin.

Vicar Lakes from Mt. Bishop in North Shore Mountains. This is not a pano; photo was taken as regular landscape frame, but then I cropped lower third. I really like this one -- maybe because I was looking at Mt. Bishop for number of years from Kits Beach, but never ventured that way due to access logistic problems. This year combination of new Bear Island bridge and clearing of Vicar Lakes trail really opened up the area; I still think of this as one of best trips I made this year.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

1. Johnston Canyon, Banff
2. Minnestima Lakes, Banff
3. Elbow Falls, Kananaskis
4. Johnson Lake, Banff
5. Lake O'Hara, Yoho
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Nice shot...this would be a nice calendar photo.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Few years ago, I learned about "Hugin" pano stitcher from Eric Coulthard web site.
Autostitch is another good program. Nice pano shots.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I think the changes you've made to the pic since your original TR are pretty interesting.

I think it has more of an 'evening' feel to it now rather than a 'morning' feel of the original. Great perspective, regardless.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tu

Quote:
I think the changes you've made to the pic since your original TR are pretty interesting.

I think it has more of an 'evening' feel to it now rather than a 'morning' feel of the original. Great perspective, regardless.
Great shots everyone! I really like vertical shots myself and probably take as many of them as standard landscape format

Glad you like them Tu. I actually took the same shot about 10 times with different camera setting functions but I can't tell you which was taken with which. Some of the shots came out much more orange than golden but to my eye the actual colour was somewhere in between, albeit I have to say I was trying to wake up at the time too

I noticed too that you posted a pic you took at Craters of the Moon. I've been there too; cool place!
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Vicar Lakes from Mt. Bishop in North Shore Mountains. This is not a pano; photo was taken as regular landscape frame, but then I cropped lower third. I really like this one -- maybe because I was looking at Mt. Bishop for number of years from Kits Beach, but never ventured that way due to access logistic problems. This year combination of new Bear Island bridge and clearing of Vicar Lakes trail really opened up the area; I still think of this as one of best trips I made this year.
I really like this shot too especially because despite having been up there a number of times I haven't been able to shoot this view clearly. I know what you mean; climbing it almost means more having anticipated it so long a time. Nice too that Bishop has a very diverse approach, where you get to bike a little, haul up and down on ropes, scramble a bit, and walk a really cool forest also
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leimrod

Quote:

I agree with Rachelo, I was just ribbing darren.

I have loads of pictures that I love that I wouldn't put forward for the Calender for various reasons.

Photo Spring took that I processed. Heading to the summit of Cayoosh in March

Ribbing Darren=good[]

All great shots, Leigh. The one above of Cayoosh is a beauty. Maybe I like it because I'm 0 for 1 on Cayoosh and have yet to make it back for another try!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page