User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skibum101

Quote:
quote:it's worth mentioning that those photos were not post processed in any way.
ALL images are post processed in some way. If you are shooting Jpeg and using images straight from the camera, and claiming they are not retouched, well you are overlooking the fact that it is being done in camera for you based on your settings. If you are shooting Raw and not retouching them they will not look realistic either as they will be flat and lacking vibrancy comparitively. Some thing alot of "purists" over look is even in the old days film was processed with dodging and burning and other techniques.

Quote:
quote:ask to put the originals beside the edited ones
What if the person shot Raw? It doesn't prove anything aside from modifications of content.

Photography is as much of an art as anything. The whole mentality that a photo has to look identical to as it was is rediculous. Everyone "sees" differently anyways.
Really? OK
No human sees pic #4 as its posted. I like Karls comment on a different thread awhile ago. He said the pics look like a hybrid of photo and a painting. He nailed it exactly. One of my cameras shoots RAW all the time, and they look pretty close to as shoot and seen, only small correction are needed.
Art? sure, someones expression of a moody scene? yes, photo realistic? no
There is no purist in me, but its clear to most what is doctored beyond natural. Surely all magazine ads etc are done with heavy correcting and HDR, but a good photographer will shoot the best he can and keep corrections to a minimum.

Of course there are artists that want to take a frame and completely change it to an art frame or end up using it only part of the details to create a new scene. But thats not the point here is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Why don't you post your favourite 5 pictures of the year instead of complaining about someone tweaking the photo? I would love to see your favourite 5
post #93 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra
Really? OK
No human sees pic #4 as its posted. I like Karls comment on a different thread awhile ago. He said the pics look like a hybrid of photo and a painting. He nailed it exactly. One of my cameras shoots RAW all the time, and they look pretty close to as shoot and seen, only small correction are needed.
There is no purist in me, but its clear to most what is doctored beyond natural. Surely all magazine ads etc are done with heavy correcting and HDR, but a good photographer will shoot the best he can and keep corrections to a minimum.

Of course there are artists that want to take a frame and completely change it to an art frame or end up using it only part of the details to create a new scene. But thats not the point here is it?
Horseshit. I've stood at that same spot many times, and that is the best capture of what it really looks like that I have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

I started the post so people would post what they considered to be their five best photos of the year. Discussions about post processing, however valid or not, have gotten carried away plenty of times on the site; not what I want to see happen on this thread.
For the record Solo those pics are first rate as always
post #95 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Here are a few of mine from 2013...

Alpenglow on an outlier of Birkenhead Peak as seen from Birkenhead Lake

Hanging out on Hollyburn Mountain

Summit of Mt Taylor in Joffre Lakes Provincial Park

Sunset on Long Beach, Vancouver Island

Pika near Highwood Pass, Kananaskis
post #96 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Hard to narrow down so I chose 5 from home and 5 from South America

My favourite photos from home:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

1. Bedwell Lake, Strathcona Provincial Park
2. Ice tunnel, Strathcona Provincial Park
3. View from the summit of Kings Peak
4. View of the Comox Glacier from Mt Becher
5. Wolf near Prince Rupert. We came across a whole pack of wolves on the trail and this was the alpha-male.

My favourite photos from my trip to South America:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

1. Alpenglow on Fitz Roy, El Chalten, Argentina
2. Sunrise at Iguazu Falls, Argentina
3. Hosteria Pehoe, Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
4. Patagonian cloud formations, El Chalten, Argentina
5. Torres Del Paine, Chile
PeppyPineTree likes this.
post #97 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

^^^I can see why you had trouble narrowing them down!
post #98 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Summit Master

Owl in the fog

Kanaka creek - Maple Ridge

Stave River

Mt. Baker

Cormorant posing

I didn't get out much this year due to knee issues but these are the ones I like the best. It was hard to narrow them down to just 5 . I really wanted to include these 2 so I'm sneaking them in .

Boris this one is for you ! Photography is an art form and as such we each interpret or see things differently. It can be an HDR, B&W, or just a plain snapshot. What may be overdone to you might be fantastic to someone else. I have a large number of Flicker contacts. Some are rank armatures while others are successful pros. Each one has something to offer.
post #99 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Farmer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra
Really? OK

Horseshit. I've stood at that same spot many times, and that is the best capture of what it really looks like that I have seen.
Thanks, one has to be there to see. Not much different from the original shot.
Great shots everyone, I hope more people post their photos before the end of the year.
post #100 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Summit Master

Ok, I will stop whining then, I was just under the impression that pics should be kept close to their natural state. But if editing to any degree is accepted, then so be it.
Russ, I like the last 2 shots.
post #101 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Summit Master

My random set

post #102 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Mountain biking, bike packing, hiking, snowshoeing, exploring and enjoying good food/drink :-)

My favourites from this past year:

post #103 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

My selections are based not so much on their aesthetic appeal but rather on the memories they evoke of some of my favourite trips of the year:

Best campfire ever. After getting caught in a hailstorm on our descent from Antimony Mountain, and enduring a subsequent 4 or 5 hours of continuous downpour huddled under a tarp.

Freshly caught rainbow trout cooked over an open fire on our first night of the Bowron Lakes circuit.

Finally reaching the summit of Mt Hatfield after many trials and tribulations:

On a bluebird July morning I had Ossa Mtn all to myself and found this entry in the summit cairn:
y

My first winter camping experience - amazing inversion!
post #104 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, climbing, horses

Wow these photos are incredible !!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page