Noise Ninja - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.
Default Noise Ninja

Anyone here use Noise Ninja?

http://www.picturecode.com/

Today, I tried it for the first time and I was amazed by the results.

It makes photos look a lot better, especially if you have an older model camera with image noise issues on higher ISOs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I use it sometimes but you have to be careful how you use it. It does remove noise effectively but as with most noise removal software, it will bur and soften the image details. You can increase sharpness but then you also sharpen the noise. If you increase the Luminance strength too much in a heavy grainy photo you really blur out image details. If you can live with some grain and care more about detail and sharpness of an image then that may be ideal because if you downsample an image (reduce its size), it will reduce the noise as well.
However, a review of different noise reduction software by some reviewer gave noise ninja a good rating.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

What kind of older camera do you have? If you are amazed by the results why not show us?
Could the iso setting be the cause of your noise issue rather than the older camera itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.

I'm using a D70s as a backup camera, and anything over ISO 800 will show visible noise and grain when viewed in the original size.

Yes, it's the ISO settings that are causing the noise, especially for an older model DSLR camera. A 2005 model Nikon D70s with an ISO seting of 800 will have a lot more noise than a 2010 model camera Nikon D7000 with an ISO setting of 800. However, when using my D70s in ISO 200, the noise levels are not visible at all for most photos.

It's a great product, especially for those who make the mistake for not changing their ISO settings for the appropriate situation.

It's not perfect, and I did find that it slightly softens the images and you WILL lose some minute details, but the gains from awesome noise reduction performance really make it worth a try. Another plus is that it preserves the original colours.

I just started playing with this program and I'll post some before and after pics.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Based on some online articles comparing various noise reduction software, I decided on Neat Image. My cameras (Panasonic FZ 3 and FZ35) have a lot of chromatic noise vs. luminance noise, and NI was rated better than NN for that aspect. The guys in my camera club are sold on Nik filters--there is one for noise reduction that is excellent but more expensive than NN or NI.

Any of these programs seem to work better than PS Elements.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page