ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Photography Talk (https://forums.clubtread.com/29-photography-talk/)
-   -   Anyone here own a Canon 7D? (https://forums.clubtread.com/29-photography-talk/39408-anyone-here-own-canon-7d.html)

Vertical_Trekker 09-15-2011 05:39 PM

Anyone here own a Canon 7D?

I'm thinking about getting a new DSLR.

I've owned and used the original Canon Rebel, Canon 20D, 40D, Rebel XS, Nikon D70S, Nikon D700 and Nikon D5000.

I haven't used the 7D, but I have seen many photos taken with the top of the line L lenses. In my opinion, the sharpness and details are not much better than a Nikon D70S in low ISO settings. Anyone here else agree?

As for the 7D, I do think the 100% viewfinder is a big plus, 8FPS is great for action shots, and the video mode is very good.

So, should I buy the Canon 7D?

If you're wondering, I ended up selling my full frame Nikon D700 because the camera as a whole is way too slow and premium Nikon lenses are way too heavy.

Release 09-16-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Vertical_Trekker

If you're wondering, I ended up selling my full frame Nikon D700 because the camera as a whole is way too slow and premium Nikon lenses are way too heavy.
I was wondering. The D700 is a legend for a reason, but whatever....actually the Canon 7D is kinda a legend in it's own right too so....

I really can't think of a single bad thing to say about the 7D. I'm a Nikon user but a friend of mine has one and I was impressed with how easy it was to find your way around it, it's feel and naturally it's picture quality is umph! I kinda still prefer Nikons autofocus but whatever. Canon 7D is a great camera. The only thing I would say is that a full frame has advantage over 7D in low light. But that's about it.

Do you really feel that Nikon premium lenses are heavier than say Canon? Sigmas(Bigmas) are a ton. Not trying to start a Canon/Nikon thing, just genuinely curious of your opinion.

Orange Pekoe 09-16-2011 10:26 AM

Hi Vertical Trekker:

I've got a 7D. The image quality doesn't seem quite as good as the full frame 1D or a 5D (I have the old one) but the autofocus and general user interface are excellent. It is on a par with the 40D and that series. I was looking for a fast frame rate/fast auto-focus replacement for a 1DMkII while skiing and it fit the bill. The hit rate with the auto-focus seems more important for action photography than pure IQ so it makes for a good counterpart to the 5D. I think it has the best usability out of many of the Canon dSLRs. This set was mainly done with a 7D:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonatha...7626369327642/

I can't comment on Nikon vs Canon. The D300/700 seem to have great AF and the higher end lenses for both systems seem roughly equivalent. I've seen awesome images shot with both. It seems to depend a lot on the user.

Hope that helps!

OP.

Vertical_Trekker 09-16-2011 05:45 PM

Release, Nikon's newest zoom lenses with fixed apertures such as the 24-70/f2.8 and 70-200/f2.8 are really big and heavy. They're bigger and feel a lot of heavier than Canon lenses in the same category. They're very high quality lenses and they're constructed like a tank. I don't use Sigma, so I can't really compare.

Orange Pekoe, those are great shots with your 7D. Do note that the professional Canon 1D series is not full frame, but their sensors in that series are slightly larger than non-professional/semi professional crop sensors from Canon DSLRs. 5D is always a classic and the colours from that camera with a nice L lense are stunning and very natural.

When I shoot action photography, I always use a single focal point with either aperture priority or shutter priority with AI Servo. That way, I rarely get out of focus shots.

Unless Canon comes out with a 5D Mark II replacement with much faster focusing and FPS, I might go for a Nikon D3S. It's expensive, but the speed, bokeh and colours are quite worth it even though the lenses are back breaking heavy.

splitboarder 09-16-2011 06:17 PM

Unless you shoot lots of sports, go with the 5dII, except for the frame rate and sometimes af, the 7D though a fantastic camera is still quite a compromise relatively. The 5DII is worth its weight in gold, I don't hesitate hiking all over with it, because the images are superb. And I've even done very well shooting sports with it, so for me the 7D fills no niche!

Vertical_Trekker 09-18-2011 11:27 AM

I've always wanted to buy the 5D Mark II ever since it came out. However, I heard the autofocus system isn't the best, though I always tend to use single point focus system, so I don't think it will be a real problem.

I think I will wait for the 5D Mark II replacement.

I need a camera with face detection too, which I find to be quite awesome. I heard the 5D Mark II has it, but it only works in Liveview mode.

Matin 09-18-2011 12:00 PM

Iam very familiar with all Canon cameras and Canon lenses. The 7D is a great choice.
Anyways what happened to your D5000?
https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=40601

You returned it?

If you want my advice do the following, it will cost you about 3 grand, but will make you very happy and in the end you can sell everything for maybe a 500 dollar loss.

1- Buy a 7d on craigslist. Make sure it is new or slightly used. BODY ONLY
2- Buy a L-Series EF50mm F1.2 on craigslist. Make sure it is slightly used or new

Then go out and take phenomenal pics!!!

:D

Vertical_Trekker 09-18-2011 01:13 PM

I agree that craigslist is a great place to buy used cameras.

The D5000 is a good camera, but it has really annoying menus which made me return it. It's much worse than the Canon Rebel series for controls. However, for the D5000, I really like the face detection and Active D-Lighting system.

For now, I think I'll go full frame. It will be either D3S or the 5D Mark II or an upcoming replacement. 7D if I can find a killer deal.

Orange Pekoe 09-18-2011 08:01 PM

Hi Vertical Trekker:

For image quality, I think it's really tough to beat the 5DII (or even the 5D). The dynamic range and colours of those cameras are great and they are better than the xxD cameras or 7D. Having said that, even using single point AF, back button AF activation and AI servo on the 5D, I've found it to be rather unreliable for "run and gun" ski and mountain bike photography. It's similar to the 40D system which was pretty hit and miss for me. The 5DII might be better but I don't think they changed the AF system a lot (and it also doesn't cover a lot of that huge frame!) While shooting the 1D, I was positive that I wouldn't go back to crop frame (great AF and IQ) but the weight finally got the better of me.

One minor point about the full frame cameras is that the 5D is a total dust magnet. I have to wet swab it all the time. I've hear the MkII is better with its dust removal system but the big sensor apparently still seems to like dust bunnies!

All the best with your camera search!

OP.

BillyGoat 09-18-2011 09:49 PM

Dont forget Sony also makes some fine SLR cameras. Check out the recently announced A77. 24MP APS/C sensor and shoots 12 frames per second. Fully compatible with all Minolta AF lenses as well as all of the Sony Alpha mount lenses. Looks like the price point will be around 1400.00 body only.
I use Sony DSLR's so I'm biased.

Matin 09-18-2011 10:26 PM

Seems like there are a lot of 5D likers out there.
5D Mark II is a fine camera, but it is the lens that makes most of the difference.

I said go with the 7D, which is great on its own, so you have money to spend on L Series lenses.

A 7D with EF85 F1.2 or EF50 F1.2 or any other prime L series lens takes muchhhhhhhhhhhh better pictures than a 5D Mark II with an average lens.

remember this:
A great lens can take a good picture with a bad camera
A bad lens takes a ok picture with a great camera.

Arnold 09-18-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Matin
remember this:
And where do photographer's skills fit into equation? I see so often people buy most expensive cameras and lenses, but pop out nothing but big and stinky turds out of them.

Matin 09-18-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:

remember this:
And where do photographer's skills fit into equation? I see so often people buy most expensive cameras and lenses, but pop out nothing but big and stinky turds out of them.

OK OK
If you want me to go into detail about what it takes to take a great picture, then I need to write a book like many others already have.
Since he is looking at mid level to higher mid level cameras, I either assume he knows how to take a picture, or I simply ignore it and just answer his question: what to buy.

If he has the means and knows photography, then walk into a store and buy a 1D Mark IV and 5 lenses. About 10,000 dollars worth.

If he has the means but is an amateur or wants to be smart with his money, then buy a 7D and a good prime lens on craigslist like I mentioned a few responses above ^.

If he is on a budget and also an amateur, than buy a high end point and shoot camera like the Canon G12 or Panasonic GF1

5D Mark II is great, but only if you back it up with an equally great lens! (that is all I was trying to say)

Release 09-19-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

5D Mark II is great, but only if you back it up with an equally great lens! (that is all I was trying to say)
+1. It's like having great suspension but a terrible engine or visa-versa.

splitboarder 09-19-2011 02:21 PM

Very true.

Speaking of which I'm considering putting my Canon 135mm f2.0 up for sale. No more then 1 hour of use (about 18 months since purchased) original everything (box, lens hood, felt bag, caps, etc.) in new condition. Make me an offer.