Best SD memory card for 1080p HD video? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Vertical_Trekker

I've played HD video at 1080p resolution video on my computer without problems with other video files.

On video files with this Canon Elph 300HS camera, even resized to the smallest window for the Apple Quicktime player, it exhibits the same kind of jerkiness when viewed full screen.

There is definately something wrong with this camera.

Very weird. And it is even jerky when played back on the camera?

The return policy for cameras at Walmart is about two weeks and I don't think they allow cross border returns. In the US (maybe Canada?) they allow returns without a receipt which seems like a good way to get around the two week limit and possibly the border limit - you can only get a gift card in exchange if it is an expensive item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Too many to list.

Quote:

I've played HD video at 1080p resolution video on my computer without problems with other video files.

On video files with this Canon Elph 300HS camera, even resized to the smallest window for the Apple Quicktime player, it exhibits the same kind of jerkiness when viewed full screen.

Are you sure it's not a PEBKAC error? The lens records what it sees.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.

I read some reviews and they mentioned that the video gets jerky when the camera is panned.

I spoke with a customer service representative for Wal-Mart Canada and the customer service representative told me that getting a refund in Canada for U.S. purchases depend on the manager for the store.

I've had this camera for over 2 weeks because I've been searching for a fast enough memory card for this camera.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: adventure racing, hiking, backpacking, climbing/bouldering, mountain biking, falling over as i learn to downhill and cross-country ski, photography

Quote:

All 1080p video is not equal. The amount of computer power it takes to play a video is dependent both on the resolution and the codec used for the video. Particularly consumer camcorders use complicated codecs that heavily compress the video. AVCHD is a good example of this. The result is a package that takes a lot of computer to understand/decode during playback on your screen.

I would imagine that this is the problem.

You can test this by converting the raw (compressed) video files to a different format before playing them. There are probably some free programs to do this. 'MPEG streamclip' is an excellent program for the MAC. Not sure if there is a windows version of this. Choose any high quality option to avi, wmv or mov (h264) and it probably will play just fine.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Bumming around above treeline.

Quote:
quote:

The "x" number gives you the actual speed. Each x = 150 KB/s.
Amazing, this is still the same standard that was used when CD-rom drives came out!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.

Thanks for all the tips.

I called a local Wal-Mart and customer service told me that I can't get a refund because I had the camera for over two weeks. What a bummer because I never even opened the box and touched it until yesterday.

What's even more disappointing is that the camera has been used by someone else when I bought it. There were smudge marks, dust, dirt all over the camera. I spent about a hour cleaning the whole camera. It was my fault for not examining at the camera in the box before buying it. 2nd, it's Wal-Mart, so they don't have opened box items labelled for their products.

I went out and tested the video for the camera and it was very poor quality for 1080p. Everything was just horrible, slow focus, very washed out colours, grainy quality and image stabilization was the worst I've seen in a camera with IS.

I think I'll use this camera for casual social events and as a last resort backup camera when I'm outdoors. Skin tones and exposures photos are pretty damn good though. My Canon powershot G6 from 1994 takes better quality photos. Even a Sony camera (W550) which I purchased at Costco for about half the price of the Canon Elph 300HS produces for similiar quality photos.

These new P&S cameras are becoming worse and worse.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page