And we're down to 3: W90 vs TX5 vs TS2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default And we're down to 3: W90 vs TX5 vs TS2

After reading about Ok Jack sexy new girl, I realised that I was in serious need of replacing mine - video not working, doesn't turn on some time, hates water.

So, here are my three finalists.

1. Pentax W90
2. Sony TX5
3. Panasonic TS2

Anyone with one of those, please give your impression and what kind of tough ride you gave it.

Thanks,

SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Anything Alpine related, running, computers, fly fishing, chatting.

I love the reliability and durability of Panasonic compact cameras but I realized that hate the colours of the images. They're not as natural as Canon cameras. Most images come out as too saturated or the skin tones will not look natural whatsoever. I've been using 5 different Panasonic P&S cameras since 2004. Panasonic is still the best of the three on your list when it comes to overall image quality, but it doesn't come close to Canon's top of the line compact P&S cameras. If you're thinking about the TS2, get the TS10 instead, it's cheaper and it's still fully waterproof. Image quality is about the same.

Canon all the way for compacts for all types. Pentax cameras are really bad for image quality. Sony cameras are not durable in the long run, although the image quality for Sony is about the same as Panasonic. Colours of the images for Sony cameras are slightly better than Panasonic. I stopped using Sony cameras because I had to use their expensive memory cards.

As for video quality, the Panasonic TS series is definately king.

So, I'll go for the TS10. Just don't expect natural skin tone colours and great low noise performance for high ISO settings. However, expect strong durability and reliability with better image quality than any cell phone camera.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Canon new S series, set to manual, finger control of all settings, unlike the old film cameras i can now see exactly what i am getting, No more 'auto' setting foul ups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Canon's S90 and S95 are very good P&S cameras. So are the G series from Canon. S95 has the same sensor as the G12. I've been using their G series ever since Canon released it back almost 10 years ago. However, the sensors are still very small compared to DSLR cameras. Performance on a kit lense on a DSLR camera will still outperform the S90 and S95 in low light conditions. However, the image quality for such as small camera S90/S95 is very good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Off the Beaten Path

check out this site for good advice;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I've got a TS2 and love it. The video is amazing (compared to my old cannon, that cost me about $100 new a few years ago, so the amazing part should probably be taken with a grain of salt)

still, I've shot videos which IMHO turned out really well, in underground mines where there is almost no light. as for the colours not being "natural", I found this at first as well, until I discovered it came on the "vivid" mode as a default. Changed this, and it seems a lot better. Here's a couple of shots I took with it this last summer. I probably should have re-taken the outhouse one on vivid, because this doesn't really do the colour of the clouds and the alpineglow justice

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Vertical_Trekker

Canon's S90 and S95 are very good P&S cameras. So are the G series from Canon. S95 has the same sensor as the G12. I've been using their G series ever since Canon released it back almost 10 years ago. However, the sensors are still very small compared to DSLR cameras. Performance on a kit lense on a DSLR camera will still outperform the S90 and S95 in low light conditions. However, the image quality for such as small camera S90/S95 is very good.
none of those are waterproof / shockproof, etc., which is what all three "finalists" in the OP had in common.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Oh, have thrown me a curve ball or what. I forgot about that post, and I was just about to fork some cash for the Pentax, and now I learn that the quality isn't there. Hummm! The issues I had with the Cannon, which I left off my short list, was the bulky look and the I thought there was something else, like no HD??

TS10? Okay, back to the research.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

To be honest, a little bit of rain won't damage a digital camera these days. The earlier budget compact models were more prone to electrical or water damage to the sensors, but I've used my Canon Powershot G6 in some heavy rain and it came out to have no problems whatsoever. Even non weather sealed DLSRs from Canon and Nikon fair extremely well under heavy rain. I would only buy a waterproof camera if you're planning to use it underwater. However, if you're planning to use your camera for white water rafting type of conditions, a waterproof camera is a must. General hiking outdoors in rainy weather, any camera from Canon, Panasonic, Nikon is designed to take some rain without any electrical problems.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skiing,Mountain Biking, Surfing, Hiking, Climbing

I got the TS2 Same as Jack after seeing his shots. It has been great ! I'm impressed with the images and ease of use. I've only had it for 1 month bu so far so good !
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Summit Master

...and I'm loving mine too !!!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

If you want better photo quality, I'd suggest going with a G series or something similar and get a waterproof housing. Use the waterproof housing only when needed and use the camera as-is the rest of the time. Waterproof cameras will generally suffer to some degree from image and video quality as well as versatility (ex. limited zoom)compared to the "better" compact cameras.
Just a thought.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I love my Canon Powershot G6. The lens on the camera is amazing. It's a f/2.0 lens with a 7.1 megapixel sensor. Image quality wise, it's excellent for a P&S camera. I'll have to say the lens is Canon L lense quality. The colours of the photos taken with the Powershot G6 are better and more natural than a Canon XSi DLSR with kit lenses. The only downside with the G6 is that it has no image stabilization and it's only a first generation DiGiC processor, so it can be a little slow. Battery life is excellent too, I can take over 1000 photos in a day without a recharge - it uses the same battery as Canon 20D, 30D, and 40D DLSR cameras.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Well, I went with the Sony TX5. It got the highest rating from the Snapshot website and you guys convinced me that the Pentax wasn't up to the other one. I really wanted the TS2, but since the TX5 was free . . . well you guessed it. I got the Sony.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni...r-shot_DSC-TX5

When I was looking at them at London Drug, the guy behind the counter was pushing for that one, but at the time I was stuck on the rugged look of the Pentax. I'm glad I added the TX5 to my list on that day.

On Friday, I got an Airmiles package and one of them was showing the Pentax for 3300 miles. So I went online and checked. Then I saw the Sony for 3100! Well, since they didn't have the TS2, the choice became very easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page