Upgrading - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Upgrading

Looking at purchasing a Fuji Finepix S1700 (on sale @ Costco). I like that it "looks" like a DSLR, but the price-tag means I won't have a stroke if it goes tumbling down the mountainside!

Does anyone here own one? Your impression? Thumbs up/down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I had bought that camera while on holiday in South Africa last fall, because I drowned my Lumix in the ocean and I couldn't replace the Lumix. The camera takes amazing pictures, the zoom works great, the video works good, but I ended up selling it when I got back to Canada because I didn't like the batteries. It uses four batteries. Alkaline batteries were only giving me about 100 pictures. Lithium batteries were giving me about 300 pictures, which isn't bad, but I routinely take between 200 and 500 pictures on a backpacking trip and in South Africa I took 2000. So I bought some good rechargeables but I was only getting 75 pictures, which sucked. On a recent four day backpacking trip up the Athabasca River I took 611 pictures with a ton of zooming in and out and I still had a third of my battery power left on my Lithium ion battery in my Lumix. The guy I sold it to took it on holidays to the Bahamas and he was very happy with it. So if you don't plan on shooting hundreds of photos then yes, I recommend it. It is very tough and durable. One other small thing that I didn't like about it is the space between the grip and the lens wasn't big enough to get my fingers in. I routinely hold my camera in my hand while out and I found it a bit annoying.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the opinion.
One thing I wasn't able to determine from the floor-model is: Are you able to install filters on the lens or does it move in and out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheShadow

Thanks for the opinion.
One thing I wasn't able to determine from the floor-model is: Are you able to install filters on the lens or does it move in and out?
No you can't. That's another reason I went back to my Lumix. I like my polarizer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page