How do you guys carry your SLR? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default How do you guys carry your SLR?

Hey I'm new to this message board but I've been a long time reader of ClubTread

I love the amazing pictures everyone takes, and being an amateur photographer myself I've brought my SLR with me to hiking several times in hopes of taking some fantastic photos. However I found that it was extremely inconvenient and dangerous to have it hanging on my neck the whole entire time. I was worried that it might get bumped somewhere...

I was just wondering how do you guys carry your camera, esp. SLR when you go hiking? Do you place it somewhere so that it will be easily accessible? Any help would be great Thanks ahead of time~!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Headed for the Mountains

One of the slickest set-ups I've seen is to carry your SLR in a case attached to your body with a chest harness. It is quick to take the camera out, but can still be put out of the way when not in use. Plus it saves pack space. I can't personally vouch for the benefits of this setup (I've only seen friends use it) but I am considering buying a harness to try it out on my next trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering, Navigation, Squash

This is how I carry mine.... , Make sure your backpack belt goes under the SLR bag strap, will avoid some burns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outward bound author of the Seinfeld thread who builds his own snowshoes

I used to use a home made chest harness (long piece of webbing and a couple of buckles), but now I usually do something similar to the past post, with the hip belt through the loop that is on the back of the case to avoid having it bounce around. I found the chest harness would get very warm and sweaty.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Carrying an SLR is a hassle. It's still pretty new to me, so I'm looking into the chest strap or hip holster options. For now, I find the neck strap with camera under the armpit seems to minimize the bouncing. But for fast travel, the camera goes in the backpack!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have a Lowepro 'toploader' case that the hip belt from my pack slides through. I have an extra lens that fits into a slipcase that attaches to the camera case. My other lenses sit at the back of my pack and my wife grabs them if I need to switch out.

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Toploading,8.htm
http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Lens-Cases,46.htm

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

On mellow day hikes I use the LowePro Slingshot 150AW which I can have my 50D, 17-85 mm zoom, 50 mm prime and 70-200 mm zoom and some room for extra filters and snacks!

On more serious hikes and climbs, I leave the sling pack at home and rig a small LowePro TopLoader with just the body and 17-85 mm lens to my pack. I secure it under the backpack flip top to protect it from the elements and still have "reasonably" quick retrieval if I want to take some quick snapshots.

Strapping across the body would be an option, but I find that it gets in the way when I need to use my hands or get in to tight places.

C
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm always surprised how complicated people make this simple task! I guess people are probably worried about damaging their expensive photography gear but why don't you just sling it around your neck and under one arm? I've done everything but 5th class climbing (and probably some of that too!) using this technique. The camera is always ready for the shot. Sure, it gets banged around a bit but you'd be surprised how much of a beating my Panasonic GH1 has taken and it still works flawlessly.

I don't understand the point of lugging all that weight around and not being ready for that shot of a lifetime when the cougar jumps across the road in front of me! (And hopefully doesn't come towards me - although I'd get that shot in HD video... )
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I have the same issue Rabbitz

Slingpro works great for casual walks but thats about it.

-having it mounted on the waist strap works great but I found it very annoying when bending etc. And that was only with a P&S camera in a small case.
-tried the chest mount and it works but found it annoying and hot

Right now I carry a P&S on my waist strap on the very right hand side. Out of the way and doesn't interferer with any activity.
SLR I put into the top of my top loader back pack.

Vern.dewit I have tried this as well and it works ok. Only problem is I can't keep the camera in the back beside my backpack. So any time I lean forward the camera slips right in front of me. Which is annoying and can be a real pain when down climbing etc.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vern.dewit

I'm always surprised how complicated people make this simple task! I guess people are probably worried about damaging their expensive photography gear but why don't you just sling it around your neck and under one arm? I've done everything but 5th class climbing (and probably some of that too!) using this technique. The camera is always ready for the shot. Sure, it gets banged around a bit but you'd be surprised how much of a beating my Panasonic GH1 has taken and it still works flawlessly.

I don't understand the point of lugging all that weight around and not being ready for that shot of a lifetime when the cougar jumps across the road in front of me! (And hopefully doesn't come towards me - although I'd get that shot in HD video... )

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rabbitz

Hey I'm new to this message board but I've been a long time reader of ClubTread

I love the amazing pictures everyone takes, and being an amateur photographer myself I've brought my SLR with me to hiking several times in hopes of taking some fantastic photos. However I found that it was extremely inconvenient and dangerous to have it hanging on my neck the whole entire time. I was worried that it might get bumped somewhere...

I was just wondering how do you guys carry your camera, esp. SLR when you go hiking? Do you place it somewhere so that it will be easily accessible? Any help would be great Thanks ahead of time~!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I have a top load camera bag. I attach it to my pack waist belt by sliding one of the waist belt stabilizer straps through the "belt loop" on the back of the bag. If my pack is a day pack with no stabilizer straps then I just slide the webbing waist belt through the loop.

Works quite well for me. The camera doesn't bounce around much and my neck doesn't get sore from the camera strap.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Mountains....

Just clip it in a camera bag to your waist strap. Caution, if you use this method, do not keep it on your chest strap if you are going to jump on skis...it's amazing how hard the resulting upercut can be [B)] Fat bleeding lip.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I too just have it around the neck and under an arm. I've tried leaving it in a chest pouch with my hip belt strapped through it, but that's really only ideal if I shoot photos with a single lens only, which is not usually the case. I keep my other lens in my backpack, so when I want to switch lenses, I need to take the backpack off anyway.

It's one of those "cheaper" Rebels, so I don't mind banging it around a bit (if at all). I would certainly be more paranoid if it was a 7D, though.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I plan on getting a Pelican case for when I do decide to take my D5000. I would only take it on day hikes though. Too heavy and bulky for multiday hikes.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

I use a wide neoprene neck strap and have it slung around one shoulder and under my arm. I use a Sony A700 and a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 which has a total weight of under 3 lbs. I like keeping my stuff very handy or I end up missing or not bothering to take shots. For extra lenses I have a padded lens case on each side of my hipbelt so this way I have the DSLR and 3 lenses all within easy reach.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I carry it exclusively in my backpack (a LowePro AW Rover II) for day hikes. I am a landscape shooter - if a shot is worth taking, it is worth the 30 seconds it takes me to take off / put on my backpack. I find hip belts or neck straps highly annoying to cover any kind of distance.

Ultimately, though, what you need to take quality pictures is a good eye and a good understanding of your camera - whatever that might be. I have been hiking with a Canon S90 lately, and so far I have not missed my SLR once. I know the time will come. Since photography does not pay my bills, however, I can afford to miss one shot every once in a while in exchange for more fully enjoying each and every trail.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page