Choosing the Right Canon Rebel - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Women
Default Choosing the Right Canon Rebel

My daughter is interested in Photography at school, and wants a Canon Rebel Camera for Xmas.
She's been looking at the $549 Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm IS Lens Kit at Futureshop.

Is this a good camera for her to start with? Are there cons of buying this camera?
For a few bucks more should she get a better model?

Any feedback appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Bry
Headed for the Mountains

It's a good camera. I wouldn't worry about going up the product line at all - it'll do everything she needs for learning about photography. IMHO, you'd be better off saving the money and putting it towards lenses at some point down the road if she continues with it.

(I shoot with a Nikon D40, which is technically a lesser camera than the Canon XS...that said, I'm still the limiting factor in my photos, not my camera )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I can't speak specifically on the Canon models, but I would strongly suggest going with your daughter to a couple of photography/camera-specific stores and talking to some people there.

There are a lot of features that she may or may not want, or might be good in the future. A good salesman at a camera store will be able to tell you the differences between the 10(ish) different Canon DSLR cameras. Also look at other brands, such as Nikon, and see how they compare. There may be features you like on one brand rather than the other. Or more imporantly, the button placement or the way the camera feels in your/her hand might be better for one camera than the other.

I personally shoot with Nikon cameras because when I was looking for my first camera (15 years ago), I liked the button layout of the Nikon cameras. Now, after purchasing a dozen lenses over the years and two camera bodies, I'm stuck with Nikon products unless I want to sell off everything and start over (Which I won't because I love their products), but there's an example of how a quick decision now can make a difference in the long run.

The other thing you might want to look at is a different lens. I know that many cameras come with different lenses in kits. You can also buy the camera body by itself and the lenses by themselves. Again, a good salesman will be able to tell you the difference between the lenses. You don't need to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on lenses to begin with, but make sure you know you're getting the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, biking, camping, tennis, snowshoeing, skiing, kayaking, sailing, rowing, swimming, hockey and... as much travel as time and money can afford.

I bought exactly the same camera and lens in April. I was able to get Lens and Shutter in Kits to beat the other stores' price, so I paid $529. So $549 sounds too much by now. So you might want to shop around (note that nearly all the camera stores I called at the time would beat any genuine local price).

The XSI is the next camera up in that range, but I didn't find the few differences worth it and I got a great deal in comparison (one of the differences I think is a 3" screen).

As for the camera, I couldn't be happier. I took a Basic Digital SLR course shortly after (at FocalPoint on West 10th), and the camera has been ideal for me. I am sure I'll eventually get other lenses but right now I am happy with what I have and all I've purchased extra is a couple of filters and tripod. I think this camera is great for a beginner but has the capacity to be adapted to the more experienced photographer too.

Here is the thread I posted when looking for advice.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...earchTerms=slr

Denise

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Thanks for your input!!! Very good to read this information from you folks.

I failed to mention that Futureshop claims that if she purchases the 3 or 4yr (cant remember) warranty for $150, that includes cleaning the inside of the camera if any dust gets inside? I would of thought that would be general use maintenance that wouldn't be covered. I kind of somewhat found that hard to believe.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Bry
Headed for the Mountains

Even if Futureshop does do that, I don't think they'd be my first choice for doing any type of work around the sensor. I'd probably want to send it back to the manufacturer or take it to a reputable photography dealer. That said, the camera has a built in system for shaking out dust, and on top of that, apparently a low pressure blast of air will take care of most dust (I haven't tried it personally)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AcesHigh

Thanks for your input!!! Very good to read this information from you folks.

I failed to mention that Futureshop claims that if she purchases the 3 or 4yr (cant remember) warranty for $150, that includes cleaning the inside of the camera if any dust gets inside? I would of thought that would be general use maintenance that wouldn't be covered. I kind of somewhat found that hard to believe.
Don't buy the extended warranty from Future Shop, it's sold by a competitor to the company I work for, LOL. Also note that extended warranties are almost always serviced by different companies, which means you'd probably have to ship your camera off to get it "cleaned" by marginal technicians.

Buy the warranty for the warranty if you need it.

$550 is a bit high, I think I got mine for $530 or less at Future Shop last Christmas. The XS is a great camera, I have no regrets and in my opinion it's a better deal than the XSi which doesn't offer much more than a slightly larger screen and a couple more MP.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, biking, camping, tennis, snowshoeing, skiing, kayaking, sailing, rowing, swimming, hockey and... as much travel as time and money can afford.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bry

Even if Futureshop does do that, I don't think they'd be my first choice for doing any type of work around the sensor.
I agree. Lens and Shutter said they can send back to Canon if necessary for cleaning (and some people prefer to do this apparently) but generally it isn't necessary. I just carefully use their lens cleaning kit and it's worked fine so far (even after being in the desert!).

And just generally speaking, I took other people's advice to buy from a photography store rather than an electronics store. There is something reassuring about going back to a camera store with questions or for general advice.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I use a Rebel XSi and for what it's worth, I think it's a great entry level SLR. The T1i is the latest release in this line-up, with the enviable ability to take high quality video.

For a few more bucks, you can always buy something just a little better. Where do you draw the line? I think it's a great idea to get a low price on a XS with a kit lens ($549 is a little steep); she can learn with it, figure out what she likes/doesn't like, and move up from there once she has the knowledge and experience to do so.

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty at that price point; also, if she ends up getting more serious about it, she'll likely trade up in a couple years.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

As my 5 year old Rebel is on the fritz I've been weighing my options. They are a great camera BTW, Nikon equivilants are too. It's kind of a Ford / Chev thing both have similar features, until you buy the lenses you can swing either way & won't go wrong.

At the Camera Store in Calgary, the kit you reference is $539.95 I'm not sure if you get the PST when they ship to you, here in sunny Alberta we only play the GST.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/produc...18-55mm-f35-56

My advice would be to shop around, get the best price in writing (flyer or store manager) & buy at a reputable shop near you where you would anticipate returning for service, questions, additional gear. Chances are they will match the price in the hopes they will earn your return business. In any event you're talking about $10-20 difference here or there & that's what, about seven or eight coffees? Also when you are shopping go when it isn't busy, if you're not happy with the first salesperson ask if there is someone else perhaps you could deal with. Staff at the Camera Store routinely hand off customers to each other if they think the other person is better able to answer questions.

As for the sensor cleaning, I wouldn't key on that. In fact if she initially has only the one lens she won't be switching. That's the primary source of dust contamination.

One othere thing that would be real nice to have initially also is a camera bag. Doesn't have to be fancy but will protect the camera somewhat & keep the inevitable little bits handy like memory cards, cleaning cloths etc.

If she really takes off with this you won't be stuck for Christmas presents for her ever again.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Sodbuster's advice on The Camera Store in Calgary is right on. I order all of my equipment from them and do not pay BC PST. Their prices are very competitive as well. Shipping is also cheap ($10 flat rate).
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Creation vs Evolution

Staples has the Canon XS on sale Dec 5-18 for $448. I hope it means with the 18-55 lens.

Best regards,
Allan A
http://www.geocities.com/truedino
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Personally, I'd buy a DSLR from a place that is in the business of cameras like Lens and Shutter. I personally don't know the Canons all that much but the Rebel line certainly has a very good reputation. If you are concerned about dust on the sensor, Olympus has the best technology for dust removal on their sensors. I had and Oly DLSR for 3 years and never once had to clean my sensor.
Also an 18-55mm kit lens is very limiting with what you can do, so perhaps getting a DSLR with a 2 lens kit would be the better way to go. Again, Olympus is the best when it comes to kit lenses. The new E-620 with the two lens kit is a good choice.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Headed for the Mountains

You can't go wrong with any of the Canon Rebels. I have a couple of older 10 megapixel cameras that my kids use and they get great shots from them.

If you want a recommendation on where to buy online you can't go wrong with thecamerastore.com in Calgary.

Their prices are consistently among the lowest and they've got a great reputation with anyone I know that has ordered from them.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Last year I purchased a Canon XSi and it has been a great camera. Amazing what a SLR can do compaired to a point and shoot camera.

At that time Visions had a better price then future shop. As well visions extended warranty has a money back policy. So if you don't use it they give you a in store credit. Not great but better then what future shop policy of nothing.

My purchases after that where..
-quality tripod
-18-250 Sigma lense

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page