Size and quantity of memory cards? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Default Size and quantity of memory cards?

Quick poll: Do you use lots of smaller sized memory cards or a few larger ones? Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Summit Master

I have a 2 gig card in my camera (10MP) and that's always been enough for me. (I always keep a spare empty 2 gig card in the slot in my GPS, but so far have never had to use it.)

-Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I have two 2 gig memory cards, and one 1 gig card which was the original. My camera is 3 years old and is not compitable with new and larger cards, even though they physically fit. Spare ones are always a good idea, in case you loose one which I did.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I use multiple 8 gig cards. They hold close to 300 raw pictures from my camera. Just enough so that I'm not changing so often but don't have an absurd amount of pictures on just one card should something go arry.

Its always good to have more then 1 card handy with you in case something happens to one of them. Haven't had any issues yet though, knock on wood.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Lots of smaller cards for longer trips or vacations. For me it's about not keeping all your eggs in one basket.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I also use several 8 gig cards (500-800 photos per card). On long trips, at the rate I take photos, one card will usually do 2-5 days. So if it's damaged, I don't lose everything.

I have a 4 gig card but rarely use it because it seems like it fills up too fast. I carry around my old 2 gig card 'just in case', but only use it if everything else is full.

If performance matters to you, the smaller cards typically perform better than larger cards. On a side note, if performance matters to you and you use CF or SD cards, check out the Rob Galbraith website, http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007. They have a big long list of different brands/models/sizes where you can compare performance with different cameras.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Fly Fishing Camping Hiking Cycling Photography

I would much rather use one memory card, and when possible back it up to my Netbook when I travel. When using multiple cards you risk the chance of losing or damaging them. Pay a little more for a quality card and you won't regret it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flychucker

I would much rather use one memory card, and when possible back it up to my Netbook when I travel. When using multiple cards you risk the chance of losing or damaging them. Pay a little more for a quality card and you won't regret it.
Sometimes it's not practical to bring along a computer. For instance, I never take it while backpacking, dayhiking, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. When traveling internationally, I may or may not take my laptop. Depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going.

I'm not saying get a bunch of small cards. Get something that will give you a decent number of photos on a card and balance performance, price, and size. Two 8GB cards will have higher performance and will usually be cheaper than one 16GB card of the same make/model.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Awesome info, thanks!

Reason I'm asking is I'm getting a new camera that uses CF cards and have to get new cards as well; my current body uses SD cards. I've always used several smaller cards with the assumption that it's safer (if one corrupts or I lose/break it I don't lose everything I've shot so far).

Seems like multiple 4 or 8 gig cards is the most common way to go.

Thanks for the link to that comparison site, nomsha! Aside from the, any anecdotal recommendations as far as brands go?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sandisk and Lexar are 'the' brands in terms of CF cards.

I have a whole bunch of Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III 4Gb and 8Gb CF cards. I think right now the best bang for the buck is the Extreme III. However, if you have money to burn, Sandisk has come out with a new line called Professional that will apparently read at 60MB/s (up to 64GB cards, also!). I don't know what those cost, though. If the Rob Galbraith site has your camera, see what types of cards perform the best.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

Yes I'd go with 4-8 Gig cards, for a variety of reasons. Less hastle changing smaller cards throughout the day. Longer uninterrupted video recording. Less cards to lose ...

post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The theory behind multiple smaller cards is if you have a corruption problem etc then you limit the damage. 4 gig seems to be considered 'small' now. How spoiled we have become, when we used to use film we had to change film every 24 or 36 frames!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GusChiggins

Quick poll: Do you use lots of smaller sized memory cards or a few larger ones? Why?
1, 2, 8, and 32 GB cards.

Why? I started with one, and later bought more as more megapixels were introduced and it became cheaper than to buy a device with a laptop HD for copying/emptying full cards. For weekends I never need anything else than 8GB. On longer trips and vacations 32 GB becomes necessary. Wouldn't mind having a 43GB card instead of 4 separate cards.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I seem to have settled on 4gb cards as I would not want to risk losing too many images if a card becomes lost or corrupt. The cards are small and do not take up much room compared to all the film I used to pack on a longer trip. Also 4gb fits nicely on a single DVD when making backups.

For long trips I have a portable battery powered hard drive with a built in card reader that I can offload images to, to keep a backup and reuse the cards if I run out of empty cards. I always try to keep the images on the card until I get home and can load them onto the computer.

I number each of my cards in sequence as I buy them: 1,2,3 etc. and then use them in reverse order so that I know which cards have been used and how many I have left.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sodbuster

The theory behind multiple smaller cards is if you have a corruption problem etc then you limit the damage. 4 gig seems to be considered 'small' now. How spoiled we have become, when we used to use film we had to change film every 24 or 36 frames!
I can remember struggling with a Brownie under a dark sheet to change the film, each had a maximum of 8 exposures available. 2 gig cards for me can store about 700 to 800 photos plus some videos from my 6 megapixel camera.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page