Size and quantity of memory cards? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Fly Fishing Camping Hiking Cycling Photography

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nomsha

Sometimes it's not practical to bring along a computer.
Fair enough.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have been working with Digicams since they first came on the market and have never had any problems with quality memory cards, cheap knock offs from Ebay are another story. The potential of corruption is always there, but I would rather take that slim chance than have multiple cards floating around that could be lost or damaged in many different ways.

I use an 8GB card in my DSLR, a 4GB card in my waterproof Pentax point and shoot, and a pair of 32GB cards for my HD Camcorder. This usually covers me for at least a week. I do carry a backup card at all times but only in case I run out of memory, or knock on wood experience a problem.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, if using a few smaller capacity cards or one larger card is your preference then the price is right as memory cards are fairly inexpensive, for me I'd rather have one 8 instead of two 4's, or four 2's, or eight 1's.

I work in IT support and have been employed at the same place for the last 17 years, and in our place of work there must be at least 70 cameras used in the field. The only problems ever reported that were related with lost pictures were caused by the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dav1481

Lots of smaller cards for longer trips or vacations. For me it's about not keeping all your eggs in one basket.
I tend to think that's a good call. If you lose one, or it becomes corrupted, you cut your loss!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I actually had an old IBM microdrive fail on me (I know, not the best to begin with), and I also had an older Lexar CF card that gave me a lot of grief (I think I lost some but not all the photos). So I know loss can happen.

As I said before the 8GB cards seem to be the best choice for me on my DSLR. I do the same thing as PackRat and have numbered them so I know which I've used.

However, for our p&s camera we have two 16 GB cards because we take it scuba diving with us and it's literally impossible to change those things underwater. So in that case, I don't ever want to run out, whether it's photos or HD video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Women

If you have lots of gigs of memory, you can take lots more larger picture file sizes (Raw or large jpg). Some like this for adjustments, or "Developing" (With ps/etc). I find huge file sizes a waste of my space and time consuming copying over files. I used to love large file sizes but now prefer my file sizes set to good quality but not extra large file sizes, I don't like the extra time it takes.

post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Backcountry migration,blending far off-trail to witness Life

I use 4-GB card, have a spare I never use. Theoritically, the 4-GB can store about 1700+ pictures on my camera, but never put it to the test. Usually transfer the pics after 360 or so.
Also, the 4-gb does me good for several video and sound bits.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

My DSLR has both a CF slot and a memory stick slot. For longer trips I have an 8gig Extreme3 CF and an 8 gig Lexar memory stick. Combined that gives me 16 gigs and close to 900 RAW files.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Two 8 gig extreme III and one 4 gig for a canon 50d
Totally impressed with the speed of these cards! Going on an extended trip in a couple of years and plan to use 4gig cards mostly,shoot jpeg & RAW,and mail/courier cards back home as we go to NOT put all the eggs,well,you know.The plan is 4 gig cards should be dirt cheap by the time we leave and cf cards are still not too large or heavy to pack many,especially compared to the rest of the gear for sure![]
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The fail rate in modern cards is pretty low. The one card I had go on me (first card I ever bought) didn't go all in, either. It had a bad sector, and so I'd lose one picture every series.

Here, more importantly, is the issue: are you more likely to lose the card itself by having the camera stolen and losing all the pictures, or by dropping a card when changing multiple cards? There is no right choice here....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page